John Hughes, I owe you an apology ..........

MrCaleyjag

At the start of the 2014-2015 season I think it's fair to say that I felt somewhat underwhelmed by what I thought we were going to be watching and how we would fair, and I think one or two others would agree that they felt the same.

We didn't exactly finish the 2013-2014 season to our full potential and outwith the highlight of getting to the League Cup Final, I still had the feelings of 'what if'.

I was never the biggest fan of the appointment of John Hughes, I couldn't see how he could take us forward and while I support ICT through and through I posted before the start of the season on a thread that he had 8-10 games to win me over, I also recall going as far as stating that how he conducted himself in pre/post matches interviews and with the media needed to be drastically worked on.

Well the 8-10 games came and went and now I owe John Hughes a huge apology for my comments and for doubting that he could take the club forward, wow was I wrong in the biggest way possible. I genuinely believe that there are more ICT fans who felt the same way and had doubts but here's one who will openly admit he was wrong.

Big man, thanks so much for this season, you and the team have massively surpassed my expectations and provided me with some awesome memories.

• Agree 7

Congratulations everyone.

So, how good is John Hughes. He's currently 2nd favouite for the vacancy at Sheffield United . 66/1 last night, now 11/8.

Surprised  no mention on your forum. Anybody heard anything?

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/sheff-utd/next-permanent-manager

Please! Why would he leave Caley on the eve of European football? You are either a journalist or a troll!

Edited by NiallMcDonnell

Sadly we're used to our managers getting head hunted. It's all out of our control, but JH would only have to look at the fate of those who went before him to appreciate what he has here. Money plus fame does not always equal happiNESS.

• Agree 1

At the start of the 2014-2015 season I think it's fair to say that I felt somewhat underwhelmed by what I thought we were going to be watching and how we would fair, and I think one or two others would agree that they felt the same.

We didn't exactly finish the 2013-2014 season to our full potential and outwith the highlight of getting to the League Cup Final, I still had the feelings of 'what if'.

I was never the biggest fan of the appointment of John Hughes, I couldn't see how he could take us forward and while I support ICT through and through I posted before the start of the season on a thread that he had 8-10 games to win me over, I also recall going as far as stating that how he conducted himself in pre/post matches interviews and with the media needed to be drastically worked on.

Well the 8-10 games came and went and now I owe John Hughes a huge apology for my comments and for doubting that he could take the club forward, wow was I wrong in the biggest way possible. I genuinely believe that there are more ICT fans who felt the same way and had doubts but here's one who will openly admit he was wrong.

Big man, thanks so much for this season, you and the team have massively surpassed my expectations and provided me with some awesome memories.

Me too for verily I did doubt the word of John for I had given myself unto Butcher until he did reveal his true nature to me. I was lost but now I am found.

Anyone else?

• Agree 2

Just out of interest, not that he'll ever leave ICT of course :smile: , but what football does he play? Adveturous or negative, on the floor or hoof?

Just read through the forum and he's certainly won you round since he came.

Well let's put it this way.  He said when he came in he'd get the team playing a style akin to Barcelona.  This season he achieved it.

Thanks, we'll settle for that if it happens. :clapoverhead:  Our last manager was too negative. Either way good luck in Europe.

I will wait a little longer to see how he replaces the players leaving before agreeing he is truly the messiah.

although this has been an exceptional season yogi is reaping the rewards for all the work the previous management team put in, finding players and getting them up to inverness.

• Agree 2

What a list that is.   Did you see some.ee some of the names?

J Hughes is on record within the last few days of referring to  the preparations that now have to be made   for the Europa  gig and also for next season,. he is not talking like a man about  to leave.

The club needs to get Yogi and RL signed up on extended contracts asap. Yogi's worth in particular must be sky high at the moment and I'm sure his agent will be marketing his CV whilst he is in the limelight. We really need to keep the best of the out of contract players and replace those Yogi is prepared to lose but money has to be made available for players now so that our wonderful manager is not stifled in his "rebuild" process.

• Agree 1

I think I was one of the few who openly supported Hughes from the start and without going down the "I told you so" route, I said there was something about him I liked. As a player, and then when he was on the management team at both Ayr and Falkirk I enjoyed his banter with the crowd from the sidelines. I met him briefly at the stadium just a few weeks after his appointment and my initial feeling was confirmed.  

Having said all this, I do have to admit that I never thought he would take us this far this fast. Yes, he inherited a great bunch of lads from the previous management team, and most of those guys are the players who won this for us, but he came in, changed the style and philosophy and got those guys to raise their game a notch or several so he has his stamp on the team too. Sometimes it wasnt pretty and I think many of us expected some growing pains but the only pain right now is on my face from smiling so much.

Also want to take a moment to say some people should also perhaps say the same thing to Kenny Cameron. Our chairman took a bit of a verbal pounding at the time Hughes was appointed .... but yet again he, and our board has been shown to have made the right decision at the right time. Our various chairmen and boards have made perhaps a handful of bad decisions over 21 years but they do have a pretty good track record. That is another reason why I was comfortable with the decision at the outset. I have known Kenny for donkeys years and I don't recall him making a decision that he did not think was for the good of the club or the fans.   

• Agree 10

Congratulations everyone.

So, how good is John Hughes. He's currently 2nd favouite for the vacancy at Sheffield United . 66/1 last night, now 11/8.

Surprised  no mention on your forum. Anybody heard anything?

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/sheff-utd/next-permanent-manager

Drifting to 11/2. Have heard rumours...

Like Scotty I too supported John Hughes from the start. and I took some stick from a number of the posters for sticking up for him.

I am glad I did as he was given a hell of a time on here, Some would have him hung drawn and quartered without given trial.

It infuriated me so much that I hit back at these posters hoping to make them feel a little of what they were giving to him, whether it worked or not I will never know and don't really care as the proof of the pudding was in the eating.

Anyway John proved he can rise above all that,  he and the Team have given us a season to remember and Inverness a chance to fully support a great Club. I just hope the chance is taken.

TogetherNess rules............ICT Scottish Cup Winners and Holders.

• Agree 3

I too was not confident when John Hughes was appointed as manager of my beloved IT but upon seeing how he has turned caley into a good passing and structured team I too must get my fork ready to eat some large slices of humble pie and say Sorry for doubting big yogi. Many thanks for the best season of our lives too date