Website upgrade

Scotty

Now that the final is over and done and we have barely over a month before the early start to our European adventure it is also time to take the website to the next level.

I wanted to get it done in time for the final but due to factors outside of my control (ie. unfixed bugs in the current release) it was not possible. I have set a new deadline and now hope to have the website software updated to V4 before the players get back from a short but well deserved break. This is going to involve some fairly major changes and in preparation for this you may notice a few bits and bobs on the current site changing or being removed. I will be amalgamating a few lesser used forums and expanding a few others. some of the forum titles will change but all in all everything should still be here and we should not lose any data

If something is not quite right - dont worry too much about it, but if you notice anything completely broken please let me know. 

ok, just a quick update .....

I had to take the live site (this one) offline for about half an hour earlier today to troubleshoot one of the upgrade processes on our test site. Was able to resolve the issue and bring this site back online reasonably quickly. The upgrade and data rebuild on the test site is still running in the background (5 hours and counting) but the main portion where the actual site was down was only about 20 minutes. 

Assuming the upgrade finishes smoothly and we have no showstopping errors that send us back to the drawing board I intend to take the plunge and upgrade this site either over the weekend or more likely during the week next week. I anticipate that this site would only be down for about 30-45 minutes if all went well.

Will give more details once I know the exact timeline/ 

• Agree 1

Oh well ... as you may have noticed we took the plunge !

Everything seems to be going ok but the process is a slow one. The site is back up and running but the upgrade process continues in the background. As part of the upgrade all posts, images and topics as well as all user profiles and such like are automatically rebuilt. This may take a couple of days and until then there may be intermittent errors, pages not found or slowness. I apologise in advance ! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick query about the messenger system. I can't find any 'sent' box, just my inbox. As I've just sent a message it looks like I'll have to wait for a reply before I can see what I wrote. Previous conversations are all showing up.

Cheers for the quick reply, you're up early.....

Yes I've got all that but still no message. It did say 'message sent' at the time.

it was Johndo, I'll ask him on fb if he got it.

Hi Scotty. Perhaps you could help me with a minor issue. I seem unable to get lines of text to appear directly under each other. When continuing a sentence on the same line, as in this example, the text continues 'underneath' which is much easier on the eye!

However, if I finish writing, but want to start a new line (for clarity), and I hit 'RETURN'.....

....this happens!!!!! (space between lines). I'm possibly overlooking some simple formatting feature!

I'm using Wndows 7 and Internet Explorer 11.

Edited by Sneckboy

if you hit return you are entering a new paragraph. for what you are trying to do hold down shift and hit return instead, that will add a line-break instead of a paragraph. 

This is a feature of the CK Editor that is used on the board, not the board software itself. cannot be changed/modified as far as I am aware. 

Okay, I'll try the return press

and I get this, as expected.

Now trying the 'other' way
...and I'm getting this!!!!

Brilliant!!! Thank you!
Great, prompt service as always - great job, Scotty, many, many thanks! :smile:

• Scotty unpinned this topic