Any news on Watkins?

I've read in a post match interview with Ross Draper that he is keen to speak to him and try to persuade Marley to stay. Anyone know if there are any contract negotiations going on? Marley Watkins is obviously a key player for us, and it would be a huge deal for us if he left. 

From what I have heard he is going home tomorrow and has a week to decide what he is doing.

Also heard that hearts aberdeen and barnsley are very keen

Time will tell I guess

:sad:

Edited by Ayeseetee

I've also heard he'l be going to Barnsley, but don't know for sure. Will be sorely missed, especially after he more or less won us the cup on the weekend. He has improved dramatically over the last couple of seasons, but in all honesty I don't think he's good enough to play above league 1 in england. He's a constant threat to defenders in the SPL with his athleticism and direct running, but down south defenders will match those qualities.  

It's another case of being a big fish in a small pond, or vice versa. Can't blame him for moving on, but he'll likely never have another chance to play in europe, almost certainly not if he goes down south. Hopefully we can persuade him but judging by comments from Hughes, he'll be away soon. 

• Agree 2

From what I have read and heard the player say. Marley will be gone next week. Devastating.

Disappointing certainly but, given what we have just achieved, the moving on of individual players, even ones as influential as Marley has become, is far from devastating.

Marley, if you go good luck in the future but please do not go to another Scottish club as it will show greed over ambition as ICT are in Europe and have just won a major honour so to go to another Scottish club will be going against what you have said about playing at a higher level.

Am I being a pessimist or a realist ? We will always be a feeder club - we will always lose our best players. It has probably been a minor miracle that we have managed to maintain the squad over the last couple of season - a complete testament to the togetherness.

• Agree 1

Am I being a pessimist or a realist ? We will always be a feeder club - we will always lose our best players. It has probably been a minor miracle that we have managed to maintain the squad over the last couple of season - a complete testament to the togetherness.

This is what is holding us back from being the Top Club in the league. We are so close to being that .

If only we could find another 2/3K crowd at the matches and some generous sponsors we could afford to keep most of the players that are tempted by money.

On the other hand we have brilliant players in the squad who just like being with us regardless of the money and will play their legs off for the Club so for the time being Let's hope J H can find us more of that calibre until Inverness and the Highlands wakes up to the reality of the big asset this city has.

We have never had to buy our success in the past, should we look to be doing that now or can we accept a less successful period until such times as the development gang are ready  to step up to the mark ? which they will do under our manager's guidance but it will take time.

Then there are the players who just want to play and not be 'benchers' all the time, they are so valuable but how can you hold on to them when the poachers sniff around with lucrative offers and false promises?

Optimism, pessimism, realism all comes into the equation, take your pick IHE , I'm just glad we have the brains and balls behind the Club to give us what we have had and will continue to give us as much as they can in the immediate future and hopefully beyond

• Agree 1

Well given even Celtic are a feeder club for the EPL and even the top EPL teams have their players sought by Barcelona and Real Madrid I think its safe to say we will more than likely have our top players sought by bigger richer clubs. Particularly if they are out of contract.

• Agree 1

There was a time when even the likes of Livi and Ayr United were poaching our best players, and we still managed to keep moving forward.

As long as we recruit well, and get the best out of players, we'll continue to prosper.

• Agree 2

I understand that players will move onto what they consider to be bigger and better things. In fact, as we grow our reputation for developing players and allowing them to move on,that should help attract replacements to the club.

That said, it doesn't half cheese me off when they end up at Aberdeen.

• Agree 1

I understand that players will move onto what they consider to be bigger and better things. In fact, as we grow our reputation for developing players and allowing them to move on,that should help attract replacements to the club.

That said, it doesn't half cheese me off when they end up at Aberdeen.

Could not agree more but I heard to day that the Dandies are now favourites to sign him.  

The club should make every effort to retain Watkins and he should not be allowed to move to another SPL club, if he does we will pay the price. For a guy who has only recently converted from being a winger he has done exceptionally well and could become a terrific front man. Quite apart from his pace, ability in the air and a decent touch he has that bloody mindedness that he will not be out muscled by a defender and that is what every great striker must have if he is to succeed, you don't find it in many players, only in the best of them.

Compare him to Ofere who looks like he plays on roller skates, has no touch, is too easily outmuscled and has no pace. Given a couple of years to understand his new position, I believe Watkins has what it takes to be a top striker in the English championship, his checked run in the cup final proves he has the brain of a striker.

• Agree 1

It is getting a bit silly now. So many of our players get pinched only to end up on the bench. (Mckay the most recent example)

Can we really blame the club though? I'd imagine (and hope) if the finances were available we could offer better deals to players like Watkins and Shinnie. But the only way we will ever truly progress is if attendances increase. Any players we lose i blame solely on the gloryhunting scum that live here supporting Rangers and Celtic. Its an absolute travesty that a city with a population of 80,000 and growing gets an average of 3,000 per game. On par with Falkirk and County.

Just something to keep in mind if he does go. Don't blame the club or the chairman. Blame the people who can't be bothered to get up of there arse and through the turnstiles

• Agree 2

This is becoming seriously ridiculous if true. Shinnie, Hayes, Robson, Rooney and....Watkins. A truly Caley reject team!

Well yes - better wages but could they ever challenge Celtic - No.

Sorry but I am going to boo these cnuts from now on - that is really not individual progression.

This is becoming seriously ridiculous if true. Shinnie, Hayes, Robson, Rooney and....Watkins. A truly Caley reject team!

Technically, we could also count Paul Sheerin as another ICT legend 'plying his trade' at Pittodrie!

We may not like it but we need to accept it as a fact of life.  We are a small town club with a correspondingly small fan base.  As long as the club relies on income from gate receipts, merchandising, TV rights, payments related to league position etc then we will only ever be able to pay players wages which are not competitive with those offered by other clubs.  Players have to make a living and think about their long term financial position when their short playing careers are over.  We really can't blame them for moving on whether it be to our rivals or anybody else.

This is why the success this year is so important.  A range of circumstances have come together which have led to us winning the cup and securing 3rd place in the league.  We won't always be able to put together such a good squad as this season and our opponents will not always be as weak as this year.  One thing that could harm our club is unrealistic expectations for the future.  For a club with our resources just staying in the top flight is an achievement and anything else is a bonus.  So savour what has been achieved this year - the memory of it may need to last a lifetime.

• Agree 4

I understood Hayes leaving for Aberdeen and the reasons Shinnie has gone but if Marley goes to them it goes against everything he has said about playing at a higher level. Last time I looked Aberdeen finished 1 place above ICT and won no silverware.

He gave his shirt to someone at the end of the cup final possibly confirming his exit. However, if the club have given him time to think over an offer, he might get a call from Billy suggesting he should wait before going to a club with a mass of strikers. That said, Marley's style, is one that could lead to long term injuries so for us to move on, it might be a good move for both parties. ICT will not stand still.

He gave his shirt to someone at the end of the cup final possibly confirming his exit. However, if the club have given him time to think over an offer, he might get a call from Billy suggesting he should wait before going to a club with a mass of strikers. That said, Marley's style, is one that could lead to long term injuries so for us to move on, it might be a good move for both parties. ICT will not stand still.

Talk about fickle fans! :lol:

It's almost like you're suggesting it would be beneficial for us if he moved-on. "Hey, Aberdeen - here's Marley. Good luck with this injury-prone dud!"

If the club released a statement, that after much consideration, Marley Watkins had committed himself to Inverness by penning a new two-year-contract, you'd surely be on here singing his, and the club's praises!

• Agree 1