Any news on Watkins?

As regards Ofere he can go anytime as far as i am concerned no touch, no pace, can't hold up play and not that good in the air for such a tall man, not someone you can build a strike force around.

I can only presume you've only ever seen Ofere play in the cup final.  Since joining the club, he's been very good on the whole IMO.  Saying we couldn't build a strike force around him is simply laughable.

Edited by Renegade

Renegede, Ofere is so so coming onto a ball with foot or head but then so was I, he couldn't trap a bag of cement, has no touch, and as a result can't hold the ball up to support midfield runners, he plays like he's on roller skates. Watkins is the real deal, good touch good in the air, pacy, can finish and can bend his runs to stay onside. The only area where watkins is weak is finishing which will come with confidence in his relatively new position. There are very few Watkins out there, there are many Oferes. 

Holding up the ball and linking up play is one of things Ofere has done very well since he signed.  Also, considering that he still probably isn't fully fit, I don't think his current goal ratio is something to be dismissed and he's one of the strongest headers of the ball I've seen at ICT in a long time.  

I noticed elsewhere you said you don't frequent the Caley Stadium very often.  Perhaps had you seen him play more often, you wouldn't be dismissing him as quickly as you are.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 3

The cup final wasn't Oferes best game, but some of the pish being spouted on here is beyond belief. His hold up play has generally been decent, he might not be as good in the air as you'd think for his size, but has scored with some headers, not least the goal that qualified us for Europe. Ironically, some of the best worki have seen him do in the air has been in defence.

I don't want this to turn into a n assassination of our squad, but all our players have short comings - that's why they were playing for us in the cup final last week and not the Champuons League final tomorrow. Doesn't mean they are useless though.

• Agree 3

I just hope we can get someone decent to replace him.

I think that who ever it'll be will Have to suit yogi's style of play not just a random striker that one of us knows.

How about Nick Ross?

:tongue: of course we want nick Ross, but Ross isn't a striker...Watkins has been playing as a striker. Put ross, christie and doran behind a striker and you can't complain.

Watkins is not a striker either.  He just ended up further forward after Billy left.  I'm confident Nick Ross could work in a very similar way.

• Agree 2

At least I feel better about him going there than if he had gone to Aberdeen.

He'll join another of our old boys, Sam Winnall, there.

A couple of posters on a Barnsey forum hoping he's as good as Winnall.

Ach, he was rubbish anyway.

I jest of course, and he will always be part of ICT history for his contribution to our 2 recent games at Hampden.

BUT, the history books really ought to be telling how he blew our chance of getting a late winner v Falkirk when instead of playing Vincent in for an easy finish, he made the wrong decision and was greedy, putting in a really lame shot instead.  Not only had it no power, it was also going wide. What a wasted opportunity that was.....

At least I feel better about him going there than if he had gone to Aberdeen.

He'll join another of our old boys, Sam Winnall, there.

A couple of posters on a Barnsey forum hoping he's as good as Winnall.

Hahahahaha!!

They're in for bloody treat then!

Marley on twitter:

"Absolutely loved my time at ICTFC - amazing family football club which deserves more local support - I'll never forget the cup run. Moving to another Scottish team would have been wrong so close to what we achieved recently! Kenny Cameron and the rest of lads are heroes!"

• Agree 17

I always felt that Sam Winnall was scorned due to an early fall out with Butcher. Judging by how he has developed after leaving us that is just another Butcher faux pas to add to a long list. Barnsley have had a recent reputation of playing football and after a terrible start to last season went on a great run, stuttered at the end and missed out on play offs. They will not be far this season. And here is what Lee Johnson had to say about his new signing:

He's someone I've tracked for a long time," Johnson told barnsleyfc.co.uk. "I've liked the look of him for a while. He's a really good acquisition. He can take League One by storm. He's quick, mobile and strong. He's provided 25 goals for the team in assists and goals and that's been a really positive element of Inverness's fantastic season. He's got bits to improve on but he's got the attributes to succeed."

"It's a whole package we've got as a Club, with our facilities, ambition and support. He had more lucrative options and we feel like we've won because he's chosen us. He had seven or eight offers on paper varying between the SPL, Championship and League One. I am really pleased to secure him. I think he could be a bit of an unknown quantity as clubs won't know a lot about him. He can hit the ground running. He has great running power and can hustle and get into dangerous areas through his physicality."

Thank feck he never went to Aberdire and I think that for once somebody who has left us will make a bit of an impact Down South. It looks like he has done his homework and he may well have chosen the level, the team and the coach to give him every chance.

Marley on twitter:

"Absolutely loved my time at ICTFC - amazing family football club which deserves more local support - I'll never forget the cup run. Moving to another Scottish team would have been wrong so close to what we achieved recently! Kenny Cameron and the rest of lads are heroes!"

Marley on twitter:

Proves what a decent loyal boy he is .So pleased we won't play against him as fans do turn sour

towards ex players. After his hard work and achievement with us it would be sad to hear him

getting grief.Wishing you All the Best of Luck for your future .Thanks for the memories Marley they're

here to stay FOREVER !!!!!!

• Agree 5

It's all about the money! Money! Money! Total brasser #no ambition,

If it was all about the money he would have cashed in on that Polish club that were after him.  He's always said he wanted to get into Wales, and he'll be playing alongside a Welsh international in Nyatanga and a club that's pushing for promotion to the Championship.  Seems like a shrewd move to me.  The SPL is, and for the foreseeable future always will be, a one-horse race.  There is no way that Aberdeen will challenge Celtic - they didn't even get a point against them.

• Agree 1