Charles Kennedy

Shocked and very saddened to hear of the untimely death of the former MP.

One of the most talented and honest Scottish politicians of his generation and a man a great intelligence, wit and integrity who served his constituents well,even while in the high profile role of UK party leader and who reacted to his defeat at the last election with typical wit and dignity.

A great Highlander and credit to the Highlands gone far too soon.

• Agree 8

Very sad indeed. He had just recently lost his father as well as his parliamentary seat. A proud Highlander but seemingly very well liked and respected for intellect, humility and wit. Watching back his ICT cup final good luck message. It holds a particular poignancy and charm now. Thoughts with wife and young son.  

• Agree 2

Very sad news. He was a hugely likeable and witty man....and even rarer...a likeable MP, who had principles. UK politics is a poorer place without him. RIP Charles :(

Really sad news.  It was a great shame that his health problems prevented him from being as effective latterly as he had been earlier in his career and also that he will not be around to make a contribution to the European referendum.  He was always passionate about Europe and seemed to encapsulate more that just about any other politician the understanding that politics has it's heart in the local community but that whoever we are we are also part of national and international communities as well.  He was a great believer in coming to opinions through reasoned debate and his common sense, integrity and wit will be sorely missed in the world of politics.

• Agree 3

I never thought that the passing of one of the political classes would affect me as much. I worried for him on the passing of his father and then the SNP jugernaut put paid to his career.  Charles was more than just another politician though. You could identify with him. He was real. He was one of us. I always enjoyed listening to his views, liberally punctuated by " on balance" or " all things considered". Because that is how is mind worked. He will be very much missed and I can only echo the sentiments already expressed in wishing his family strength through these terrible times and all the best for the future.

• Agree 4

Like Naelifts this has affected me more than I would have realised. I liked and admired Charles immensely and he was one of those very rare characters - an honest and trustworthy MP who was true to his word. He will be sadly missed.