The big Europa adventure thread

TopSix

Will we find out those mini groups before the draw is made?  Never really paid much attention to the qualifying draws before  :laugh:

Usually on the morning of the draw! And they make little sense!

There is a very similar thread so I will digress.

My questions are:

Do we go into the first European round playing ONLY players who have been with us over the season ? 

Shurely taking in somebody new at this juncture is too late. But that leaves us "strikerless" so can Ofere play on ?

I feel that this competition is a place in history and a bonus (mainly for fans) and I really do not expect us to go any further (one round more would be a hell of an achievement)

Looking on the Wikipedia page, I wouldn't mind the glamour ties like Copenhagen, Legia Warzaw, Trabzonspor or even West Ham if they make it through.

Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing a trip to either the likes of Isreal or Romania for the bants.

Winning the Europa League will secure us automatic qualification into the 2016 Champions League group stages. Not that bothered about the European Super Cup to be honest, but would be a nice bonus, a bit like the North of Scotland Cup.  

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1

out of interest....

I am of the belief one round would be great and to bow out without getting battered would be great.

at what point though does the europa adventure starting become a drain on the clubs finances and players?

I was also led to believe that as we go in 1 round after Aberdeen in theory we could be drawn to play them????

in truth though I just hope that

A. I can go to at least one leg

B we don't get humiliated

and C I can afford the away leg

Edited by Tug
spelling biff

We cannot be drawn to play Aberdeen. Teams from the same country are kept apart until the quarter-finals.

​So we know that wont be a problem  for us cos the Dons will be knocked out by then.....

Edited by bdu98196
  • Agree 1

at what point though does the europa adventure starting become a drain on the clubs finances and players?

Financially, Europa is a burden until you get to the group stages.

​Yup, seems like a huge gulf. Qualifiers get between €120,000 and €150,000 for Q1,Q2,Q3 and the final playoff round but as soon as you reach the group stage you are guaranteed not only that payment but also €1,300,000 plus 'performance bonus' based on points gained in the groups as well as a payment based on the TV market in that country. 

We are guaranteed €130,000 (about £95K) so here's hoping the travel costs dont eat that up. 

​Maybes Aye, maybes nah. Depends who we are drawn against, how far we have to travel and whether we can pack the place out for our home tie(s). Not a fortune to be made but there may be scope for a modest profit.

• Agree 1

Winning the Europa League will secure us automatic qualification into the 2016 Champions League group stages. Not that bothered about the European Super Cup to be honest, but would be a nice bonus, a bit like the North of Scotland Cup.  

And the club will be €5m richer after the final in Basel next year... Maybe we could buy the Shinnie brothers back.

Edited by TopSix
Further insightful thoughts added
  • Agree 1

They'll (West Ham) almost certainly win their Q1 tie, barring a huge upset, and be potentially awaiting us in the 2nd round!

It'll be a 1-in-33 chance of drawing them though! Although obviously, whoever we're paired against will also have been those odds!

​Maybes Aye, maybes nah. Depends who we are drawn against, how far we have to travel and whether we can pack the place out for our home tie(s). Not a fortune to be made but there may be scope for a modest profit.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/st-johnstone/1322800-steve-brown-wants-uefa-help-for-st-johnstone-europa-league-travelling-costs/