Museum of Sneck!

dougiedanger

Any memories of the old museum in Inverness, up by the Crofters' Commission? I take it that it is still in the same location.

Used to visit it on a day in town in the 70s, all I mind was they had stuffed animals and a lock of Bonnie Prince Charlie's hair.

So, what are yer museology memories? 

• 2 weeks later...

I went to that yesterday - there's actually a LEGO ICT stadium built by children from Holm Primary (I think it was), as well as other various constructions by kids from local schools.

But the 'professional' exhibits are terrific! :smile:

In general Inverness Museum seems to have got its act together in recent years. It's not all that long ago that it was dull as ditch water and full of fossils and Jacobites. It was often the case that exhibitions mounted by the Inverness Local History Forum in church halls were streets ahead of the official museum.

• Agree 1

Ah the memories....

I used to love taking the kids when they were wee, especially if their friends were round to play as it saved having my own house trashed. They loved the scrawny animals and enjoyed daring to touch them despite Do Not Touch signs - the staff must have loved us. I liked the wee old lady's house which had been dismantled and reconstructed in the museum and also the William Glashan paintings of Inverness. My son says he remembers grinding corn on a big stone and the museum penny machine.

I remember bigging up these visits as a real treat so that the kids would look back and think what wonderful opportunities we had given them, while personally loving the fact that it was a freebie. But this comes from the woman who used to take the children to Raigmore Hospital for dinner when I went to give blood and told them it was a posh restaurant - but to be fair we were quite hard up!

We had to give up the museum visits when my daughter learned to read because, as a Worst Case Scenario type of child, she would have needed therapy if she had read about the tidal wave which once came up the River Ness about a million years ago, as she would have been sure that the next one was due any day soon.