Problems?

To start with - technophobe alert!

I have only managed to post this after getting here on something called "Mozilla Firefox". Since the changeover to the new look site, and using "Internet Explorer" on two different computers, I have only been able to see text but no pictures and there has been no obvious way to post.

Is the problem likely to be with the computer or is it likely to be with "Internet Explorer" which I much prefer to use?

Or shall I just get my carrier pigeon back out of the loft?

For what its worth, I usually use Google Chrome as my browser, but I've just tried Internet Explorer and it seemed fine (including pictures).  If anything it was quicker than Chrome which seems to be quite slow since the changeover, which I assume is just teething trouble.

The upgrade process is still running in the background. We have half a million posts to rebuild along with images, attachments, galleries, and everything else. I expect it to be done today or maybe tomorrow.  This is why the site is slow and why some images may not be visible in all posts. 

With regards to starting a new topic (or where permissions allow, a new article, gallery, blog post etc) you can use the CREATE link at the top of the page. Similarly, to post a reply click on the small "REPLY TO THIS TOPIC" box at the bottom of the page and it will expand to the full editor. its a space saver. 

I hate Internet Exploder and looking at the site on it there does seem to be an issue with some of the icons and stuff which appears to be mostly of the 'Font Awesome' type. Not going to troubleshoot this until all upgrade and rebuild processes are done as it may resolve itself. I use chrome as well and all looks fine in that browser. Also looks decent on Safari on my phone and on my tablet now that we have a responsive design !! (would be interested to hear how it looks on iPads and Galaxy Tabs etc)  

Edited by Scotty

Also looks decent on Safari on my phone and on my tablet now that we have a responsive design !! (would be interested to hear how it looks on iPads and Galaxy Tabs etc)  

​Looks fine on Safari on the Mac and the iPad. Haven't tried the phone yet. This evening though there seems an awful long pause while it contacts the server.

Your tablet?  So you're running Safari on a non-iOS device?

He's right. there's no pictures at all with IE 11 being used. :wink:

IHE must be  wondering why?  I miss them too IHE.

I  can find most things but no emoticom for a "guy scratching his head."

A manual wouid be nice just to get me started and allow an older fella figure it all out. Also I don't like change to be frank.

​Looks fine on Safari on the Mac and the iPad. Haven't tried the phone yet. This evening though there seems an awful long pause while it contacts the server.

Your tablet?  So you're running Safari on a non-iOS device?

​Yeah, the rebuilding process is still continuing. its now rebuilding the post indexes so almost done .... hopefully this will lead to some increased velocity once the server load drops down to normal levels. 

Sorry - should have made it clear .... safari on my iPhone (just a regular iphone 4s not a 5 or 5plus). but chrome on my Surface Pro tablet

He's right. there's no pictures at all with IE 11 being used. :wink:

A manual wouid be nice just to get me started and allow an older fella figure it all out. Also I don't like change to be frank.

​explained the picture thing up the thread. will investigate once the rebuild is complete.

no manual but for those who want to keep things simple the NEW CONTENT link at the top of the page is your friend. most things work the same way as before. for those that dont, highlight them in here and I will investigate or in some cases tell you the feature has changed or gone away !

all posts and images have been rebuilt now and we are about 39% through what I think is the last process which is rebuilding the search indexes. I just fired up Internet Exploder (man i feel dirty now) ..... all images and icons loaded as normal so for those users experiencing issues you may need to empty your cache.  

once the rebuilds are all done (ie. the index rebuild) I will flush the caches on the site as well as our cloudflare cache which will hopefully cause any lingering issues to disappear. then I will look into the slow initial page load (if its still occurring) 

we are going to 'tune up' our SQL server in a few minutes to try and resolve some of the page slowness. site may go down for 15-20 minutes while we do this. 

Site looks good on chrome. The only things I don't like are that the "Quote" button seems to be floating a bit randomly in the middle of posts and that each post doesn't really seem to have a border round it, meaning that all the posts on a page almost blend into one. Otherwise, good job. 

going to tweak a few other bits and pieces today based on other feedback received. should not involve any downtime. going to revert to forum 'list' style rather than grid as it appears some folk cant handle that type of design. we will eventually enable two different themes and allow users to choose list or grid style. 

Unable to log in last night. The system kept telling me that I had either:   1. Typed the password wrongly or ...2. I had
CAPS" stuck on . So, using the email link(s),  I reset the password exactly as before but then was told I had to wait 14 minutes, 12, minutes etc  so I gave up and went to bed. I tried everything , including putting a piece of metal under the caps-lock button to make absolutely sure that, despite the fact that the blue light was not indicating that Caps were on at all , it still gave me the same message that I had Caps" on.

Anyway, this morning, a miracle!  I got in just fine although I still had to type in both the user name and the  password and am wondering if they will eventually be added automatically. Don't really mind typing the password which is very small but feel that it would be great if the user name was displayed automatically because it includes capital letters.

Yes, for me, KISS (Keep it simple Sam) is my mantra and accessing the contents (with pictures), plus accessing the match video reports, would be enough to keep me quite happy. The reason I liked the old listing for the contents is because I became so used to it and so familiar with it's intricacies that naturally it was easy to zip through them. And the individual threads etc. were set much closer together so that there was less work for me to see them quickly and control changing from one to the next one.  Probably Bughtie would agree because he has the same eye affliction and vision impairment as myself.

Otherwise the site looks modern and clean but there seems to be rather large gaps (i.e. wasted space) between lines and/or paragraphs unlike the former site which was more neatly packed shall I say. For me, it's not so much what the site looks like aesthetically but the functionality and ease of access which is vital.  Example:- as I type here,  for me to go to the next paragraph there is a three line gap between the one I am on now and that next one. This means a lot of scrolling up and down to check what one has already written if you need (or want) to do that. 

By the way where has the "LIKES" list , showing how many "likes" each poster has received,   gone to ? 

Unable to log in last night. The system kept telling me that I had either:   1. Typed the password wrongly or ...2. I had CAPS" stuck on . So, using the email link(s),  I reset the password exactly as before but then was told I had to wait 14 minutes, 12, minutes etc  so I gave up and went to bed. I tried everything , including putting a piece of metal under the caps-lock button to make absolutely sure that, despite the fact that the blue light was not indicating that Caps were on at all , it still gave me the same message that I had Caps" on.

Anyway, this morning, a miracle!  I got in just fine although I still had to type in both the user name and the  password and am wondering if they will eventually be added automatically. Don't really mind typing the password which is very small but feel that it would be great if the user name was displayed automatically because it includes capital letters.

This is not site related. if you enter the wrong username or password you will not be able to login. I am assuming you encountered the countdown when you tried to login 5 times and locked yourself out for 15 minutes (a security feature to minimise hacking attempts).   

The site will also require you to enter both pieces of information to login. If you want to login automatically you should set the 'remember me' checkbox on login. this is controlled via a cookie so if you delete the cookie then you wont login automatically next time. Personally I prefer to use a third party password program rather than cookies or the browser password manager. LastPass is my program of choice and the free version will likely be fine for 90% of users. 

It should be noted that you can now also login using Twitter/Facebook/Google+/Outlook (formerly hotmail) and Linked In. Just add the accounts to your user profile, or if you are using the same email address for those accounts as you use here just log in with them and they will automatically sync to your user profile. 

Yes, for me, KISS (Keep it simple Sam) is my mantra and accessing the contents (with pictures), plus accessing the match video reports, would be enough to keep me quite happy. The reason I liked the old listing for the contents is because I became so used to it and so familiar with it's intricacies that naturally it was easy to zip through them. And the individual threads etc. were set much closer together so that there was less work for me to see them quickly and control changing from one to the next one.  Probably Bughtie would agree because he has the same eye affliction and vision impairment as myself.

Otherwise the site looks modern and clean but there seems to be rather large gaps (i.e. wasted space) between lines and/or paragraphs unlike the former site which was more neatly packed shall I say. For me, it's not so much what the site looks like aesthetically but the functionality and ease of access which is vital.  Example:- as I type here,  for me to go to the next paragraph there is a three line gap between the one I am on now and that next one. This means a lot of scrolling up and down to check what one has already written if you need (or want) to do that. 

Not sure what you are referring to in terms of a 3 line gap. We will however continue to tweak the look based on feedback received. I have not yet enabled all the features from the old site, or all the menu links but we will get there before the season starts. However, please bear in mind that we do now have to consider users with touchscreen tablets and phones (35% of our audience) and one fundamental difference in trying to accommodate these devices is that you do need to allow a little bit of extra space around icons and links for them to be considered mobile friendly so while we will try not to have a lot of whitespace there will be more clear space around these features.   

By the way where has the "LIKES" list , showing how many "likes" each poster has received,   gone to ? 

​Likes displayed on individual posts have been replaced (for now - as a test) by positive/negative reputation (the number inside the heart). The total likes an individual poster has received are displayed on their mini profile on the left of the post. You are +556

A very comprehensive and informative reply, Scotty.

But I prior checked the password with my manila file folder  where I store a record of all stuff relevant to the internet item or site I am accessing and confirmed that there was no capital first letter  in mine.. Because there are only 4 letters in it and I have used it for years then, assuredly, it was inputted correctly. Now it has miraculously cleared up so all's well that ends well.  

Personally I don't "do" the likes of Facebook, Twitter or Linked in ". The first is a non -essential fad, the second, twittering is for the little birds and Stephen Harper, the Canadian Prime Minister whose tenure in Office is about to be obliterated so what does he know about the modern world anyway*(:twothumbsup:)--only what he thinks will get votes. Sigh.  And Linked -In --nope! Only for the upwardly mobile yuppies in suits making connections, moving and grooving and impressing  their fellow Linked-in confederates.

Me?  I just love animals and children and lead a simple life.  You-all have a good day and I leave you  with the thought--if Vladimir  Put-the-Boot-in  drops a nuclear device what then......?  As Freddy Mrercury once sang with Queen..."Nothing really matters at all !":blush:

I

I have the same issue as Scarlet. I try to login but the site says I have inputted the username / password incorrectly and asks me to try again. I use the exact same information and it works fine (my passwords are stored in Chrome). The same issue exists with the P & B site. Not a massive issue but a bit odd nonetheless.

only issue I can think of would be that you used to be able to login using a "login name" and this could be different to your "display name". Most users set these both to the same details, but there are some accounts where these were different. With this new version of the software the two were combined and your display name is now your primary login name.

I know not everyone uses social media, but you can now also use your email address to login or you can use twitter, facebook, google+, Microsoft Outlook, or LinkedIn so plenty of options there to suit everyone we hope. 

• 3 months later...

For the last several days I have been finding CTO very slow and sticky for much but not all of the time. On occasions it just freezes completely. I am not finding this with other websites. Any suggestions?

Might be the Cybernats Charles :lol:

all the pagespeed and DB tests I have been doing suggest there is not a problem as all results come back within normal parameters. there's a few things we can improve (like optimising images and caching a few things for longer) but in the main not much we can do. I am not dismissing the issue - will try to look and see what if anything can be done to tweak further - but its a bit of a 'needle in the haystack' scenario.

The site has a huge database of articles and posts going back many years and the simple fact is that the software is complex and utilises database searching to find what you are looking for and that can be both processor intensive and slow if there are a lot of users onsite at any given time. There's a new major version change coming with some significant changes to things like view new content (not sure I like it but apparently it is more streamlined) ... may be worth taking a look at that also. its a big change to the view new content so when its released I may stick it on a test URL for a few folk to give some feedback,.