ICTFC v FC Astra Giurgiu // Travel + Build up

Don't really understand the tears about the club not releasing anything about a charter. Get online and book it if your worried. Simple. Great work on the bus. 

Not tears, just annoyance as we were given the impression the club were going to look at a larger charter that would accommodate some fans too. As I said above I couldn't be bothered waiting and got on line. Sounds like things are moving for the official party though as Yogi was on tv earlier saying the players are changing in Bucharest and travelling in their kit to Giurgiu. Worried they might get their valuables nicked by the locals then?

Hope to meet Dalgety Bay Jaggy in Bucharest to buy him a drink for organising the buses.

Row S, the club have (and still are) looking in to that....they also appreciate and understand that some of those who may have been interested will have made other arrangements.

The club did not expect to be in a situation after the draw where they would know exactly where we were going...in that respect we are all ahead of the game.  The expectation, and the reason the club were asked to consider a larger charter to accommodate fans, was for a scenario where we would have had 4 (working) days to organise flights and fans facing the prospect of flights being way, way more expensive than they can currently be secured for.

I don't know what the prices are likely to be for joining the club charter, but given that St Johnstone's is at about £950, then I hope nobody is holding off on the club thinking it will be a cheap/cheaper option than using scheduled flights.

Yep, Many Thanks DBJ for arranging this. Anybody any idea what currency to take; Euros or Romanian dosh or a mixture of both?

From Bucharest in your pocket

Romania’s currency is the leu (plural lei), divided into 100 bani. Leu notes come in denominations of 500, 200, 100, 50, 10, 5 and 1. There are also 50, 10, 5 and 1bani coins. €1 is cur - rently worth 4.44 lei. The best place to get your hands on lei is at an ATM. If you have to change cash, do it inside a bank. Credit and debit cards (MasterCard and Visa) are accepted almost everywhere. American Express cards are less widely accepted, but can usually be used in Bancpost ATMs. 

In most places I would use lei. roughly 5 lei = £1. Beer = 5-10 lei. A meal + drinks 50-100 lei

If you take cash for exchanging it needs to be good quality English notes (no folds, pen marks etc) or euros. You will also need to show your passport and count it when you get it. NEVER change with someone who approaches you in the street, it'a a scam. If you have to change at the airport just get enough to get you to the town, the rate is rubbish.

****Look after your money etc. Romania is very safe for violent crime but there are a lot of expert pick pockets****

If you take a rucksack keep it to the front on buses etc as they will take a blade to it.

Don't leave your phone on the table when out, you will be distracted and it will get lifted.

Yep, Many Thanks DBJ for arranging this. Anybody any idea what currency to take; Euros or Romanian dosh or a mixture of both?

From Bucharest in your pocket

Romania’s currency is the leu (plural lei), divided into 100 bani. Leu notes come in denominations of 500, 200, 100, 50, 10, 5 and 1. There are also 50, 10, 5 and 1bani coins. €1 is cur - rently worth 4.44 lei. The best place to get your hands on lei is at an ATM. If you have to change cash, do it inside a bank. Credit and debit cards (MasterCard and Visa) are accepted almost everywhere. American Express cards are less widely accepted, but can usually be used in Bancpost ATMs. 

In most places I would use lei. roughly 5 lei = £1. Beer = 5-10 lei. A meal + drinks 50-100 lei

If you take cash for exchanging it needs to be good quality English notes (no folds, pen marks etc) or euros. You will also need to show your passport and count it when you get it. NEVER change with someone who approaches you in the street, it'a a scam. If you have to change at the airport just get enough to get you to the town, the rate is rubbish.

****Look after your money etc. Romania is very safe for violent crime but there are a lot of expert pick pockets****

If you take a rucksack keep it to the front on buses etc as they will take a blade to it.

Don't leave your phone on the table when out, you will be distracted and it will get lifted.

A bit like Dingwall then.....

• Agree 1

When reserving a seat on the event for the bus link do you just confirm you are going to the event or do you have to leave a review? I don't have the option of leaving a comment. Cheers.

no, please leave a comment. the comment facility is available to all ... theres a tab next to the review one. if it doesnt work, try a different browser. 

• Agree 1

If anyone is there by Tuesday they could take in the Steaua Bucharest Champions League game. If all games kick off at 7:45pm UK that would be 9:45pm in Bucharest.

Game will probably be in the National Stadium as there are no other stadiums in Romania that meet CL guidelines.

I went to a 2nd round game a few years ago and I think it was £8!

I was at their qualifying game against Stromgodset last season. Nice shiny new stadium and their ultras are pretty mental but a lot of turmoil at the club at the moment. The army have taken away their badge! http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-united/68/post/2497187/dinamo-steaua-bucharest-derby-nick-ames

Interesting. Do you think Marius Niculae will be at the game or did the transfer dispute leave bad feelings?

His old agent is an Inverness lad who lives out there with his Romanian wife. I was in touch with him about this trip. He says Marius is on holiday at the moment so he wasn't sure if he was aware of the European tie. He did say that he was absolutely buzzing when we won the cup so I guess there are no hard feelings. Marius is a really highly respected player in Romania. My girlfriend is Romanian and when I was telling her family that Marius played in Inverness they thought that we must be a big club. Romanian media might be less naieve but they probably think we're decent. I'll get the lowdown on what they're saying closer to the time.

Looks like he's heard about the game!

Former Caley Thistle striker Marius Niculae tips Astra to beat Inverness

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/618528/undefined-headline-1051/

Me and atleast one other have got our flights booked early Wednesday morning out of Aberdeen heading back on Sunday morning. Trying to convince some non Caley fans to come over too  and make a weekend of it.

Is anyone staying in Giurgiu or will everyone be coming back to Bucharest? 

should be able to do so here now. you last posted a long time ago (welcome back) so your account was marked inactive and that did not have permission.

2 x 49 seater coaches now booked for return transfer from Bucharest to Giurgiu. Waiting for confirmation of kick-off time before confirming cost but looks like it will only be about £10 per person. The above Event link currently takes care of about 50 of these 98 seats - add your details to the list if you want in. Coaches will leave from central Bucharest in plenty time for kick off and return to central Bucharest after the match.  

Fantastic, well done DBJ!

Booked up tonight!

Added our names to the bus list but counting the names on the list and comments above me it passes the 98 names!

Would that be it full or is there the possibility of another bus?

Will get a third and fourth bus if needed! 

British Airways are having a sale which essentially gives you free accommodation (return flights + 3 nights in 4* star hotel < standard return fare).

Thanks to DBJ for organising the buses :clapping:

So looking forward to the ultimate Caley Away Day.

• Scotty unfeatured this topic
  • Scotty unpinned this topic