ICTFC v FC Astra Giurgiu // Travel + Build up

Aberdeen's prices for their home round 1 tie: http://www.afc.co.uk/mobile/news/6364.php

St Johnstone's prices for their home leg tie: http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/newsitemsdetail.php?param=3650

Aberdeen's pricing structure is far more sensible. Why don't we offer concessions for people in FTE? 

The club replaced the student/FTE concession with the 16-25 concession.  So anyone up to the age of 25 can get a ticket for the FC Astra game for £15.

The reason they switched to the age related category was because the take up on student tickets wasn't that high and nearly all of those purchasing student tickets fell within that age category.  It was felt that the change would make the reduced price available to more people and encourage increased attendance for that demographic....and that's exactly what has happened.

Being slightly generous with the numbers there CaleyD. Yes that was St. Johnstone's crowd last night but this is their 4th season in a row in Europe. It is our first ever game so much more of an occasion. 

St. Johnstone also got crowds of 7-8.5k in Europe in recent seasons. With lower home average league attendances. 

We should have been looking to fill the stadium without too much effort. 

If you want to look at St Johnstone figures when they qualified to play in 2012....

The home leg saw a crowd of 6023 with 241 visiting fans....home crowd of 5782.  That's remarkably close to the 5746 (which included a "small band" of visiting fans) in this years home leg.

The higher attendances came when playing against more attractive opposition who would have brought larger travelling crowds....

7853 v Rosenborg BK - 2013
8594 v FK Minsk - 2013
8486 v FC Luzern - 2014
7001 v Spartak Trnava - 2014

To me, that would suggest that the crowd was influenced more by the opponent than the occasion in and of itself.  With Perth being better situated to draw on a larger number of casual/neutral fans, then it's not surprising that's the case.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great to see us with a crowd of 6000+ (we may do that)....but my personal expectation is that we'll get around 5000.

The point of my previous post on this subject was to highlight the potential last years success has to improve the number of season ticket holders....and my view that more season ticket holders would be where the greatest benefit comes from for the club.

It can't cost much to advertise you event on visit Scotland.

May as well take advantage of the time of year.

It's free to list an event on Visit Scotland....but having tried several times without them ever actually listing anything, I gave up. Even attempts to contact them to have the stadium listed as a football stadium have gone unanswered.

Still no sign of ticket details for away leg hmmmmmmm. Out with our control though!

Can someone please give me permission to get access to the european travel section? I Clicked attending, however my bus travel was covered for me so assuming that is why I've not got access.

Keeper looks like he can't deal with crosses (insert dracula joke here) and that back four look really flat. How that boy from the blue team stayed on the park was beyond me and if that's how they challenge in Romania we'll need a strong referee. No question that they are a good sidebut they don't look unbeatable.

• Agree 1

That was their new manager's old team and he took 3 of their players with him to Astra so to only draw at home is a poor result  

Astra have lost their best centre half (Youssef) and 3 centre mids with more than 90 caps between them. No notable signings made that will improve their team from last season. 

Still a very good team though - Budescu & William are definitely their main threat

Massive overhaul of their team so they are in a similar position to us in that sense.  

I definitely give us a good chance over the 2 legs

Edited by Harry Chibber
  • Agree 3

I don't want to be really negative before 2 potentially great night but it worries me that we barely have a squad! 

Yes they've had an overhaul of their squad and lost a couple of big players...but we've just lost players, no overhaul, no replacements! Yes Roberts sounds good and wedderburn hasn't been a disaster...but we've lost Watkins, shinnie, ofere, Ross, brill (injury) and we could have up to four out injured. 

Its very worrying

Am I the only one that thinks that these two games are a "bonus" and that we have nothing to lose so we all go out and enjoy ourselves on and off the pitch. Let's not forget that we are a wee club, in practically pre season training and putting together a squad to maintain our profile and standing in Scottish football. Astra have quite a European pedigree and must be clear favourites.

Let's just enjoy our Caley "Holiday" - You and Me :ictscarf:

• Agree 3

Agree. I notice the bookies odds are strongly favouring Astra!
Can't find odds for overall progression from the tie, but for the first-leg in Inverness, Astra are Evens to win; we're 11/4.
I notice Aberdeen are priced at 8/1 to win away against Rijeka in their first-leg. A cheeky £5 on a 'north' double on Thursday would see winnings of nearly £170 !

As for the game, I understand Yogi's frustration at the injury 'crisis' so early in the season, when our squad was already fairly thin. The Courier reports that there are doubts over Williams, Doran, Horner, Tremarco and Meekings.
Also, if as assumed Lopez has signed, he should be eligible, but the 'paperwork' in Roberts transfer took a while, so I wouldn't be surprised if he were to miss out, also.

Worst case scenario would see us effectively picking:

Esson

Raven, Warren, Devine, Wedderburn

Draper, Tansey, Polworth

Vincent, Roberts

Christie

Subs: Mackay, Sutherland, J Brown, Ferguson + 3 others!!

Of course we're going to enjoy it...but ask any player or yogi himself if they're treating this as a pre season game!!! let's not forget that the premiership season starts just 9 days after the second leg as well and with a group of just 14 squad players is no one gonna question the club if we start on a struggle? 

But then again, if we are just treating it like a 'pre season' game, then the low amount of tickets sold has been explained.

I don't want to be really negative before 2 potentially great night but it worries me that we barely have a squad! 

Yes they've had an overhaul of their squad and lost a couple of big players...but we've just lost players, no overhaul, no replacements! Yes Roberts sounds good and wedderburn hasn't been a disaster...but we've lost Watkins, shinnie, ofere, Ross, brill (injury) and we could have up to four out injured. 

Its very worrying

I would say they are in a stronger position but only because they ended last season with a stronger squad than what we had. 

Shinnie is without doubt our biggest loss which is comparable with Youssef of Astra 

Yahaya, Laban & Florescu are all away for them and seem to have been replaced with more offensive signings - Florin Lovin being the only new defensive midfield option.  

All their signings have come from lower league teams and free transfers.  It seems as though the owner (aptly named Niculae) has suddenly go bored of ploughing money into them (they had their peak 2013/14 season) and they are trying to balance their books.  This could obviously change in the next few days.

On the face of it we have a more settled defence and midfield but they will without doubt have a stronger attack (Budescu, Enache & William).  Add the fact that they have a new manager taking over the reigns then I don't think we could have got them at a better time it's just whether we still have enough in our team to find the weak points. 

I think we are more than capable of a stalemate in Inverness but I'm not sure where our goals will come from, set piece maybe. 

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic and if all else fails we get a p!ss up in Romania 

Edited by Harry Chibber

I think we're all in agreement that they're certainly a decent side, but not 'world-beaters'. But, we have to be very wary and balance that with not giving them too much respect.
Any win would be a great result to take to Romania. And a home first-leg 0-0 draw is certainly not a bad result. I'd still give us a chance at a goal behind, but two...maybe not!

Of course we are not treating it as a pre season game - the Europa Cup IMHO is far better preparation than pre season. If we win then another two games against even better opposition would be the best ever preparation. What I mean is that we have nothing to lose.

Am I the only one that thinks that these two games are a "bonus" and that we have nothing to lose so we all go out and enjoy ourselves on and off the pitch. Let's not forget that we are a wee club, in practically pre season training and putting together a squad to maintain our profile and standing in Scottish football. Astra have quite a European pedigree and must be clear favourites.

Let's just enjoy our Caley "Holiday" - You and Me :ictscarf:

Totally agree IHE. If we get through all fine and well but if not, enjoy the experience. These ties have unfortunately come at the wrong time in terms of team re-buildlng (for which someone has to take some responsibility for) but let's not kid ourselves that we will be an instant success on the European stage

These 2 games are a huge bonus, but the fruit of many years hard work. I don't think any ICT followers dont want us to take it serious and try to win, however these occasions have to be enjoyed by all,  it may never happen again. 

IMO there is too much credence being given to numbers who will or won't attend. The people who matter, know the significance of it all, and will be there, if circumstances allow.

Personally, I can't wait 

• Agree 4

Only 333 seats left in the Main Stand by my count, the vast majority of which are in the southern wing.  The covered section of the stand is totally sold out.

Aside from the Section A, B (which is only about a quarter full) and L, most of the other sections of the North Stand are full aside from the odd seat here and there and the first two or three rows.  Section C has only one seat in it's entirety!  Think we're looking at a good 4,500 for this game and had it been against a team that had any type of travelling support over here, it would've been more.

Edited by Renegade

• Scotty unfeatured this topic
  • Scotty unpinned this topic