Nick Ross signs for Dundee

ICTRoughi

Really sad to see Nick Ross go - I hope we don't regret it! I thought he looked the real deal this year when he came on - worked hard tracking back and was no longer bullied off the ball (semi final against Broon springs to mind). I also think that Nick wanted to move for personal development reasons, which is understandable too. I'm sure his game time would have been limited again next season, so what choice did he have?

I don't think our squad looks weak, but it does look very thin, particularly in attack and full back. I think we're late to the feeding frenzy and once again will need to be finding a couple of gems from the lower leagues

I don't think we have had any other player who is so neat and tidy in possession. He rarely seems to give the ball away and that was a real asset to a team playing our kind of possession football.  Our loss is Dundee's gain, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are up challenging for Europe next season with all the signings they've made.

• Agree 3

After losing Marley and eddie i am fairly certain the club would have offered him a good deal. 

Imo i feel Nick has been foolish. Yes he hasnt been starting much these past two seasons, but we have lost some of those players who pushed him out and were looking to him to fill that void. This was his real chance to shine now with us, but he has naffed off to a mediocre club where he will have to start from the beginning and prove himself against a bigger squad.

oh well, que sera sera and all that but i hope Yogi is working overtime bcz starting to fear we wont be ready for Astra 

• Agree 1

I think Dundee have got themselves an excellent bit of business with Nick Ross, few players can pick a pass and are as neat on the ball as him so i feel he will be a real asset for them. Sad to lose a local player but wish him well in the new challenge.

As others have said, I hope that phone is currently glued to Yogi's ear..we need some signings.

• Agree 1

not sure whether to be disappointed with the club or the player on this one as we dont know the ins and outs of the contract offer or other discussions. it is clear Nick could possibly have established himself this year, and played in Europe but has opted to sign for a rival that - with all due respect - has finished well below us for a number of years (although they do seem to be building a good team under the current manager). I wish him well in his future games except when he plays against us.  

• Agree 1

Bad move in my opinion unless he has been guaranteed more game time. Even then, don't honestly think he is as big a loss as some make out. Really need to strengthen squad now for the coming season although probably too late for Europe.

After being on such a high with the Europa draw this has put me on a complete downer.  

He said it himself in his interview, he wanted to come in as a first team regular so obviously couldn't be promised this by Yogi for whatever reason.  Massive signing for Dundee and could see him doing well there but it's just a sideway step.  I can't believe that there was no way of convincing him to at least sign another year with the club to let him achieve first team football, get a taste of European football and then move on to a bigger opportunity. 

Seems like a real lack of ambition from both parties. 

Gutted. 

After being on such a high with the Europa draw this has put me on a complete downer.  

He said it himself in his interview, he wanted to come in as a first team regular so obviously couldn't be promised this by Yogi for whatever reason.  Massive signing for Dundee and could see him doing well there but it's just a sideway step.  I can't believe that there was no way of convincing him to at least sign another year with the club to let him achieve first team football, get a taste of European football and then move on to a bigger opportunity. 

Gutted. 

I can't imagine he's being paid significantly more so I suspect he is forgoing European football for the better chance of game time which, in my view, does show ambition on Nick's part.

Personally, I think this is a bigger loss than Marley.

Having got to know "Nick the Person" as well as "Nick the Footballer" I've got mixed emotions.

Selfishly, would have loved to see him stay as I think we've still to witness the best of him and this could easily have been a big season for him and the club would obviously have got the benefit of that.

Unselfishly, I think this will be good for Nick...in the same way that I think it's good for any young person to get away from home (even if just for a bit) and break out of their comfort zone.

There's not many players out there who can say they've been at a club for 14 years....especially ones that are only 23 years old.

Edited by CaleyD
  • Agree 1

Gutted. 

I can't imagine he's being paid significantly more so I suspect he is forgoing European football for the better chance of game time which, in my view, does show ambition on Nick's part.

Personally, I think this is a bigger loss than Marley.

Its any easy out to go somewhere and be promised football instead of working hard to earn a first team place.. that's what I meant by lack of ambition.  

I'm quite sure Nick worked very hard for a place but who would you have dropped to make way for him Harry?

That's not the point I made Alex.

I said he should have worked this season to make himself a first team regular and with our whole front line away he could quite easily played any of 4 positions. 

Personally though... and this is not a dig at Yogi, I would have given him more time ahead of Williams & Christie.  Not got anything against either player but Christie has plenty of time on his side so there is no reason to rush him.  Obviously seems daft saying that when he won all the accolades this year but I imagine that's what put Ross' nose out of place, that a younger Christie was given all the plaudits and he had to sit on the sideline and watch.