Ali Mackenzie

alwaysblue

Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere but sadly need to note the passing away  of Ali Mackenzie - life long supporter and committee member, pre and post merger and well known plastering contractor . 

Poured a legendary dram in the boardroom  and king of the one liners!

My thoughts go  to his family - one of the good guys

Ali used to live next door to me in Montague row and was always enthusiastic in his support of ICT.

Would always stand his hand in the Caley club. Really nice guy and really nice family.

Rip neighbour.

Would always stand his hand in the Caley club. Really nice guy and really nice family.

You are spot on there! And usually doubles! He would just look at the barperson and say "Large!"

We will miss Ali hugely. He was a stalwart both of Caledonian and ICT and must be given huge credit for one contribution in particular which was crucial to the formation of ICT.

Caley Chairman Norman Miller took a serious heart attack towards the end of 1994 when the merger battle was still at a very critical stage so Ali, as Vice Chairman, stepped in. Within days he found himself chairing the crucial and pretty volatile (bangers exploding in the aisles etc) Third Battle Of Rose Street which finally saw Caley's assets invested in the new club. The manner in which Ali handled that meeting, which completed the final link in the chain, was masterful and it made a huge contribution to what we now see in front of us today.

I and my friends, who were often in his company on a Saturday evening, will certainly be having a dram on his behalf in the Social Club tomorrow night. He was a gentleman who will be greatly missed both at the Stadium and at the Social Club.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

You are spot on there! And usually doubles! He would just look at the barperson and say "Large!"

We will miss Ali hugely. He was a stalwart both of Caledonian and ICT and must be given huge credit for one contribution in particular which was crucial to the formation of ICT.

Caley Chairman Norman Miller took a serious heart attack towards the end of 1994 when the merger battle was still at a very critical stage so Ali, as Vice Chairman, stepped in. Within days he found himself chairing the crucial and pretty volatile (bangers exploding in the aisles etc) Third Battle Of Rose Street which finally saw Caley's assets invested in the new club. The manner in which Ali handled that meeting, which completed the final link in the chain, was masterful and it made a huge contribution to what we now see in front of us today.

I and my friends, who were often in his company on a Saturday evening, will certainly be having a dram on his behalf in the Social Club tomorrow night. He was a gentleman who will be greatly missed both at the Stadium and at the Social Club.

Not sure if true or not but I was in the Caley club on Saturday and was told by more than one person that Ali's family received condolences from the great majority of SPFL clubs but absolutely nothing from our own?

Hoping it's not true but if it is then I find that very distasteful.