Be A Pro.....

CaleyD

The potential issues could run sooooo much deeper.

What if the winning bidder was to bet on a football match, posts comment online/say something derogatory in public with regards to another team/player/official or any of the many other rules that come with being a registered player?

These are not "options" when it comes to being given a contract/registration and they are all things which can carry a financial penalty for both "player" and club.

A few years ago I may have even bid myself in order to create a bit of mayhem....!!! :lol:

• Agree 1

What if there's a crisis where the team comes down with a sickness bug or something and there's hardly enough players to play?  Would the fan be called upon?  I presume they'd have to be!

What if the winning bidder was to bet on a football match, posts comment online/say something derogatory in public with regards to another team/player/official or any of the many other rules that come with being a registered player?

These are not "options" when it comes to being given a contract/registration and they are all things which can carry a financial penalty for both "player" and club.

A few years ago I may have even bid myself in order to create a bit of mayhem....!!! :lol:

What if there's a crisis where the team comes down with a sickness bug or something and there's hardly enough players to play?  Would the fan be called upon?  I presume they'd have to be!

Soooo many potential pitfalls here

• fan of another club does it to cause mayhem. I assume contract can be terminated? 
  • As pointed out, 'player' says something on social media and club is brought to task
  • 'player' behaviour in public or at any other ground
  • would the club be able to claim 'emergency' requirement for signings if they have 5 additional 'players' in the squad
  • Will it be compliant with employment, sex discrimination, immigration or residency laws? for example are females allowed?

this is ten foot barge pole stuff .... things that seem like a great idea after 10 pints that in the cold light of day should never have got beyond the brainstorming session !

• Agree 1

This, and Scotty's, are very relevant caveats with regard to what I would describe as a thoroughly tacky and dubious wheeze. Apart from the issues Don raises, I think this also debases the professional integrity and credibility of bona fide players if Joe Public can simply jump on the bandwagon. Winning a professional contract is something to be aspired to as opposed to purchased in an auction.

Who is brokering this scheme for Partick Thistle? Maundy Gregory? (The guy who sold honours on behalf of Lloyd George).

It will all indeed end in tears, especially since this is Partick Thistle we are talking about..... so all the unsuccessful parties are bound to wheel out their QCs to contest the outcome of the auction.:crazy:

Edited by Charles Bannerman