Scottish Cup 2016 - our defence of the trophy!

Sneckboy

1 minute ago, Charles Bannerman said:

:lol: I'm actually a Chemist (you know what I mean.... if it moves, it's Biology, if it smells it's Chemistry and if it doesn't work - it's Physics!) which is probably worse but also a confirmed technophobe who had thought that the second click would just cancel out the first one:sad:

I knew that. Was TiC

4 hours ago, Gabby said:

That seems complicated, they way I figure it all options are 50/50. They will either happen or they won't.

The trouble there is that if you've got over a million options, as we do here, then by that reckoning they would all be certain to occur over half a million times each! See Sneckboy's explanation.

5 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

I guess there's no Celtic supporter who can do the maths or they would have been whinging even more loudly about how unlucky they have been with the draws in recent years.

On the other hand the outcome Celtic have actually had is no more or less likely than all the other possible outcomes. Think of the lottery. With the 49 numbers there were something like 13,982,000 possible permutations of six numbers and 123456 was no more or less probable than any of the others. (With the 59 it's even bigger than that.)

Here's hoping not too many Celtic fans read this - it might put them off doing the Lottery!

Watching some of the livi V hibs game tonight, I'd be happy if they see off hearts, don't think they look that great other than stokes and Cummings which I think our defence can handle. Certainly look light in midfield and suspect at the back. No fears going down there if we have to.

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Watching some of the livi V hibs game tonight, I'd be happy if they see off hearts, don't think they look that great other than stokes and Cummings which I think our defence can handle. Certainly look light in midfield and suspect at the back. No fears going down there if we have to.

It was a bit like us against Stirling :lol:

Tuesday's replay sold out very quickly I'm hearing. Quite fancied going but glad I never got a ticket as I have to dash off to Lewis tomorrow at short notice. 

Hibernian 1-0 Hearts
Kilmarnock 1-2 Rangers

(Tuesday 23rd Feb - 19:45)
Dundee v Dumbarton

Quarter-finals (currently 5th March - 15:00):
Celtic v Morton
Hibernian v Inverness Caley Thistle

Rangers v Dundee or Dumbarton
Ross County v Dundee United

29 minutes ago, Alex MacLeod said:

No reason why Stokes wouldn't be playing

I agree! They must have made an error on Sportsound.
He's clearly eligible, as he featured for Hibs last night - and he obviously isn't cup-tied. Granted, he's on one booking for the competition, but he'd need another yellow card to be suspended. So, unless we hear otherwise, we should assume Stokes is available for the quarter-final.

I'm in agreement with Yngwie's anticipated TV games...I think it'll be our match plus Rangers v Dundee/Dumbarton.
Certainly, one of the Glasgow games will be switched anyway, for policing and logistical reasons - so will almost certainly be a Sunday TV game.

7 minutes ago, ictchris said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see both Old Firm games televised on different days.

LOL! Don't go there!
Next week, I'd ordinarily be hoping Dumbarton beat Dundee, as I like to see the 'underdog' coming through, plus it would be another Premiership club eliminated and out-of-our-way!
BUT, on this occasion, I want Dundee to win, as I genuinely think they could go to Ibrox and give Rangers real problems...certainly more so than Dumbarton.
Rangers v Dundee has a lot more appeal than Rangers v Dumbarton. I wonder if the TV companies will wait for the outcome before 'committing themselves'?
The quarter-finals games aren't far-off (just 17 days away), so hopefully we'll hear something soon - fans have to make plans!

• Agree 1

Getting past Hibs to achieve first but if we do, a repeat of our very first semi final against Dundee please but with a different outcome and a different venue. ICT v Dundee at a near full Pittodrie rather than at Hampden with getting on for 40,000 empty seats.

The hibs game will be undoubtedly a hard game, whether they have 3 or 4 out! At the moment, so do we! But I think we could go there and counter attack! Their fans will be wanting them pushing up the field and there's weaknesses in that defence...for a start both full backs push high up and leave no cover! 

If we have Raven and meekings back then we will have a strong back 4! We just need to hope that these 2 plus Williams and at a push Vincent are fit and we'll have a strong squad! 

Also, Hibs might be doing well in that league, but like some of us seen in their game vs livi, they can be pretty p*ss poor! So theirs no reason we can't win this tie! 

I think in the semis I'd take anyone but Celtic! I wouldn't be screaming for a Rangers game but again I don't see why we couldn't beat them! More favourable would be us vs Dumbarton semi (at mcdermitt park) then pumping the not so noisy neighbours in the final! 

It's gone now for Dundee United! (in terms of survival!) I can see no way back for them - relegation!

Have checked the 'stats' and no Scottish club has ever been relegated and still won the Cup in the same season!
Wigan Athletic were the first team to do it in England - and that was just a few seasons ago - but it's never happened in Scotland...

However, It wouldn't be a shock to see them turning-over County in Dingwall, but I just can't see them then going and winning another two games to lift the Cup.

Hibernian in the Cup? We've played them just once before... in the 2008 Cup (Also at Easter Road, but that was 'only' in the last 32). This is much bigger!

We lost 3-0 that day! BBC report http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/7181084.stm
Although not mentioned in the report, I've a recollection that Marius Niculae missed a penalty? Or am I confusing that with another game?
Anyway, I think we can beat them, BUT...I'd happily take a replay - they've a dreadful record 'up here'!

Being cynical - If celtic and rangers progress although dundee will be tougher than kille id expect some warm balls. The form of the OF this season it's too big a risk for the SFA to chance them both making the final against any of the 4 other potential opponents, sohaving them play in the semi wouldn't be a surprise. An OF and Highland derby set of semis would be great.