FC Astra Giurgiu -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

It is good to read so many positive comments with regard to our chances for this season after our 2 games against Astra.  I saw the first game live and the second on computer (admittedly only on small screen, as for some reason every time I tried changing to large screen I lost the picture).  The Romanian commentary didn't help either but overall much better than nothing.

My first reaction from the 2 games is that I thought we would struggle this season,  through lack of goal scoring threat.   I obviously hope I'm wrong.  I'm not too worried about the defence.  When we get Raven playing in his best position at RB and probably Tremarco in at LB I think we'll be fine.  Meekings has to play in central defence along side Warren.  Imo Warren is just about the best signing ICT has ever made.  (But that could be the subject of a whole new thread, which, thinking about it, we've probably done before).

So, if we can find a goal scorer from somewhere, and turn our undoubted ball possession ability into some more creative attacking play, then maybe we'll have a chance of top 3 again.  Time will tell as the ICT adventure continues..........

Can't say I've been impressed with Lopez with the one game I've seen him play in the flesh and the other via a dodgy feed on TSNYs laptop. However I don't think he's a striker and he's merely filling a space until we get one (or two) proper strikers in. Hopefully soon. Anyone fancy giving Ofere another call?

seems to have come from here along with this commentary ..... translation courtesy of Google !

http://www.giurgiuveanul.ro/stiri/video-suporterii-echipei-scotiene-inverness-ct-au-sosit-la-giurgiu/

Astra Giurgiu team plays tonight at home, second leg match of the second round of the UEFA Europa League preliminary. From 21.00, Astra will play the match against Inverness CT Scottish team. Giurgiuveanul band boundary to victory in the first match. 500 Scots have reached Giurgiu inaround 19.

Most supporters came in this afternoon Otopeni Airport and around 19 at Giurgiu.

The first movement in Europe in club history Inverness so Scottish fans were advised to take great care, especially in Bucharest thieves.

• Agree 1

We did well not conceding a goal to them in 'open play' over two games. They're a very decent side. After reading a West Ham forum, to me it appeared they assumed just turning up would see them through - and 34,000 did - but Astra are street-wise and capable.

Astra will be disappointed to only draw against a side who were taken to penalties by the no-hopers from Malta :tongueincheek:

Seriously though, it is dreadful that the side that qualified through the fair play rule have had a player sent off in each of the last 3 Europa league qualifiers.  If big Sam was still there they would have sailed through no problem.

• Agree 1

I hope those who were saying Astra were a poor side and we should have beaten them take note. They are a well organised team with some dangerous players, and with European experience. That we came within a whisker of getting something out of the away game does us a huge amount of credit, imho.

• Agree 2

I hope those who were saying Astra were a poor side and we should have beaten them take note. They are a well organised team with some dangerous players, and with European experience. That we came within a whisker of getting something out of the away game does us a huge amount of credit, imho.

The West Ham result doesn't say anything to me about Astra. I thought they were utter gang against us over two legs and only poor finishing from ICT stopped us going through. As Alex Jones says it's more down to the amount of garbage in the most over hyped league in the world. Outwith the top 6 - 8 teams in the Premiership pretty much all of the other sides are much of a muchness.

The West Ham result doesn't say anything to me about Astra. I thought they were utter gang against us over two legs and only poor finishing from ICT stopped us going through. As Alex Jones says it's more down to the amount of garbage in the most over hyped league in the world. Outwith the top 6 - 8 teams in the Premiership pretty much all of the other sides are much of a muchness.

Harsh in the extreme.. very difficult to argue Astra's pedigree given their recent history in Europa League.  To label them as an "utter gang" given the fact they beat us with only a handful of half chances going our way shows disrespect and gives us no credit which we do deserve for managing a respectable draw in their backyard. 

Like or not the EPL is as strong and competitive league you will find in Europe.

• Agree 1

Regardless of their recent history we made them look gang by dominating them over the two legs. We just couldn't score. We were by far the better team over the tie but a lack of composure in front of goal saw us fall at the first hurdle. Astra were lucky to get through the tie. I think that gives us enormous credit. 

The top of the EPL is strong. I'm not debating that. But out with the Big Four, and others like Spurs and Liverpool, the likes of Hull, Sunderland, Aston Villa etc. are distinctly average bordering on very poor indeed.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Just before we start planning for next year's trip, and very belatedly (I haven't unpacked yet either), many thanks to everyone for making the Romania trip such a great few days.

Alison

Found this video on youtube:

Good to see Graham Bayne has found a profession outside football. A fine piper indeed. 

Apologies to anyone who this actually is for the comparison  

Still cheers me up a little to know we'd have beaten a team that drew with a mid table EPL side who can afford to splash millions on players, if we had a goal scorer.