Yogi says no more money no more players!

CaleyMax

I remember a couple of seasons ago, after the likes of Greenhalgh, Watkins etc. had been signed, the squad numbers list was put out by the club and number 18 was left blank.  This was after photos of the training session had shown Harry Hooman (whatever happened to him!?) wearing that on his gear and prior to the announcement that he had been released (the shortest signing ever?).  We knew something was up though prior to the announcement because he didn't appear on the list despite being signed.

Looking at the list again this year, I see there's no number 18 again.  Now I know Mutombo took 28 and Fon Williams 25 but I can only presume that they are numbers particularly chosen by them.  Does the lack of a number 18 (when we have a number 19,20 and 22 - 13 is usually never taken for some reason) suggest that there always has been another player coming in on the cards?  It might do you know.

Assuming we get two players in who are both on £750 per week, that's an extra outlay of about £50k if we sign them til the end of the season. If we paid a transfer fee for a player, they would likely be deserving of higher wages which would probably take us up to around £100k if we added the fee to the wages. That is a very large sum for a club like us.

If I was the chairman (one day...), I'd probably be waiting to see how we stand after at least five or six games before committing that sort of funding to the squad. 

Agree with your logic and reasoning but can also argue the opposite point of view .... that is the conundrum .... The first five or six games can define your season so is it better to act swiftly or to wait? After 6 games if we are down the wrong end, not scoring goals and 10 points or more behind the top six it can be really hard mentally to close that gap and we might spend the rest of the season in a dogfight. Alternatively, if we get in the required pieces of the puzzle and start to win and score goals then confidence soars, morale rises and fans and players alike enjoy the ride (like last year) .... finishing a single place higher in the table than we would of without those players could wipe out the outlay in your figures above (based on £70K per place)

I am all for prudence and fiscal responsibility and I know our club is well run in that respect after surviving a few scares in the early years ... but if we do indeed have a rainy day fund then perhaps its time to use at least a portion of it .....  

Between now and the end of the month we play Hamilton and Partick, who could well be teams we need to finish above if we want to stay out of trouble, and we also play Dundee & St Johnstone who are likely to be rivals to our more loftier ambitions. A watching brief now could at best result in a season of mid-table mediocrity, and at worst leave us well and truly behind the 8-ball.

We find ourselves in extraordinary circumstances injury-wise, and I think if funds are there then the board needs to recognise the situation we find ourselves in and the importance of a solid start to the season.

Harry Hooman (whatever happened to him!?)

Just done a quick research on him and seen that he hasn't played for a club since the deal with us fell through. Interestingly enough, there was a picture of him on Twitter in his ICT gear with what I presume to be a physio from may last year. 

Edited by ICTRoughi

Was he not the lad that broke his foot or had some kind of other injury sustained just as he signed so the contract cancelled with the agreement of all parties (apparently) but Butcher said that if / once he recovered he would look at him again?

Hooman was carrying a long standing injury and as a result of that he was let go. He was given time to see if there wad improvement but unfortunately there wasn't. 

From what I've read, he had a metal plate in his foot that flared up or something during the early on in pre-season training.  Butcher said he'd be open to bringing him back but I've never heard of him again.  I can only presume he's out of football now.  Another ICT fan did tell me that they'd heard somewhere that he actually was a very good player but I can only guess his football days have ended.

I remember a couple of seasons ago, after the likes of Greenhalgh, Watkins etc. had been signed, the squad numbers list was put out by the club and number 18 was left blank.  This was after photos of the training session had shown Harry Hooman (whatever happened to him!?) wearing that on his gear and prior to the announcement that he had been released (the shortest signing ever?).  We knew something was up though prior to the announcement because he didn't appear on the list despite being signed.

Looking at the list again this year, I see there's no number 18 again.  Now I know Mutombo took 28 and Fon Williams 25 but I can only presume that they are numbers particularly chosen by them.  Does the lack of a number 18 (when we have a number 19,20 and 22 - 13 is usually never taken for some reason) suggest that there always has been another player coming in on the cards?  It might do you know.

Think its safe to say you're reading too much into this. Tremarco vacated 18 to take number 3 and new signings took the other vacated numbers (Lopez - 7, Roberts - 11, Wedderburn - 15) and the rest of the squad have just kept their number from last season meaning number 18 has been left out.

• Agree 1

Feck me Don. Ya must have scooped a lot of spondoolachs. Pity it looks like they will be wasted on a couple of dodgy, unreliable plonkers. I would have preferred to christen the yoofs and there will be friction if those two waltz into the starting line up. Only the second time that I have doubted Yogi's wisdom. This may well be calling in old favours on the cheap but these two usually end up feckin things up.

We should start putting ridiculous release clauses into our players contracts.

£60 million buyout for young Christie would be good.

EDIT: This made more sense when Snafu posted this in this thread. I see he's now moved his post.

Edited by RiG

We should start putting ridiculous release clauses into our players contracts.

£60 million buyout for young Christie would be good.

EDIT: This made more sense when Snafu posted this in this thread. I see he's now moved his post.

Sorry, it should have gone under rumours, didn't see the Ryan Christie thread. This is the source I picked that story up from  - http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/08/11/swansea-burnley-fulham-tracking-christie/

The article seems to think that his contract ends next year. As far as I can recall he signed a two year deal in 2014 and we have an option to extend it by a further year if we wish. No idea how that would work but could we take that to mean that he is essentially under contract until 2017? Please?

The article seems to think that his contract ends next year. As far as I can recall he signed a two year deal in 2014 and we have an option to extend it by a further year if we wish. No idea how that would work but could we take that to mean that he is essentially under contract until 2017? Please?

Not according to Sneckboy's "Contract Situation" thread - only one year left. This is the point to extend his contract by a few years (as DUFC did for Ryan Gauld) in order to hike the pricetag. Who knows where we'll end up if we lose Christie at this moment in time!

That is correct: http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Christie-signs-new-ICT-deal-15052014.htm

Not according to Sneckboy's "Contract Situation" thread - only one year left. This is the point to extend his contract by a few years (as DUFC did for Ryan Gauld) in order to hike the pricetag. Who knows where we'll end up if we lose Christie at this moment in time!

That is correct: http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Christie-signs-new-ICT-deal-15052014.htm

boom-gif-images-6.gif

• Agree 1

The 'Contract Situation' thread doesn't bother with the 'option for a further year' nonsense. Utterly ridiculous. If a player is good enough, they'll get kept on: if not, they'll be released.
It's only meant as a guide to the end of a player's minimum stay, but I sometimes wonder about its feasibility - as any player can just leave at any time!

Answer Give Christie a 4 year contract and a release clause with a large amount of money, I am sure his father would like to see Caley benefit from any move of Christie Jnr and it is inevitable that he will move on, but for his own development he should at least see out this season with Caley.