Ryan Christie

DEANO96

Although it's something we all dread, what do we all reckon would be the best outcome for club should Ryan Christie leave? What kind of sum should we realistically be looking for? And how, given we barely have money for anything, should we spend it? 

The best outcome would be as JH states that he wants, with a loan deal back to us for the rest of this season but I would really be disappointed if we received under a mill for him. There is obviously the length of his contract to consider but in comparison to the Dundee United two that got them 3 mill(longer contracts of course), less than a mill would be hard to take but anything over and I think we can be relatively satisfied given the teams interested. If only he did have a full contract, the club would be sorted for years.

In answer to your question about should we spend it? Not all of it, not even a quarter of it but enough to see us have a dedicated striker on our books would be nice.

Edited by LundavraJag

Absolutely getting Ryan Christie back on loan for a year and recieving a seven figure sum would be the best outcome for the club but if he doesn't come back on loan it's not the end of the world. We have Aaron Doran, Jordan Roberts, Iain Vigurs and James Vincent that can all play in his postition and if Toby Ajala signs then he is another one to consider. End of the day, when was the last time we received a seven figure sum for a player? We should just play ball with the team offering that kind of money and if we get him back on loan fair play but I can't see how his departure would hurt us. 

The best outcome for both club and player is for Ryan to continue his development at the club by signing a two year extention to his contract and to stay for at least another year before moving on to an English Premiership club for three million pounds plus add ons and a sell on percentage.

If that means making him the highest paid player on the books so be it. A perfect opportunity for the club to speculate to accumulate. Win win for both club and player.

• Agree 8

Totallly agree with Kingsmills.

However, this story seems to be gathering pace: I never really get how fees are arrived at - my limited understanding of economics would suggest that value = "whatever somebody will pay". But it is slightly different in the case of a small club like ours, where value seems to = "whatever we can't refuse" (which appears to be not very much!) On that basis, I would not be the slightest bit surprised if he went for £500k or less. however, it might help if there are a few clubs in for him, particularly Barclays Prem clubs. The new TV deal down there means that a couple of million is loose change and could easily be gambled on a punt. Let's hope that there is some way that we can keep this talented football with us for another year AND still get market value for him when he moves on to better his career! Fingers crossed!

• Agree 1

There are two basic reasons why teams like Dundee United command much higher fees than we do for promising young players.

Firstly, they have the confidence and foresight to put them on three or four year contracts and secondly, and just as crucially, they have developed a reputation for being shrewd negotiators who will not be sold short or taken advantage of.

We, on the other hand, up until now, have a reputation of being naïve soft touches who will wet ourselves with excitement at the prospect of a few hundred thousand pounds for our best players.

Whether he goes now or later, Ryan represents a great opportunity to change that perception. Such is the money in the English Premiership just now that any team that truly rates him even as a prospect for the future ought to be paying at least two and a half times the figure of £600,000 being bandied about.

We have been a top tier club, with a one season blip, for a decade now. High time we started conducting ourselves like one when it comes to these sort of negotiations.

• Agree 6

Agree with much of whats been said. Whilst Christie would certainly be a loss he wouldn't be irreplaceable IMO. Also agree with Kingsmills in questioning why the Chairman/Board have not already extended the young player's contract given his obvious potential and his contribution over the past 12-18 months.

I am led to believe that Christie earns a fraction of what the other first team players earn and would hope that this is not the reason for the board to be dragging their heels on a new deal?

As for transfer fees this would very much depend on which club, if any, makes a firm offer and as PerfICT alludes to what league any potenetial buying club play in.

I have stated previously that he should be signed on a longer term contract with a release clause inserted so that the club can benefit from his sale -  and due to his age should we not be due a figure for his development not sure how that works but I think it applies to players under 24 ??

If it is indeed a premiership team that gets Ryan Christie this window, I also wouldn't mind us making a deal where we get a couple players from their youth set up in on loan. If we did that then there could be a good chance that we could become a feeder club to Swansea for example. 

• Agree 1

I may be totally wrong here and I hope I am but I think this is the club trying to punt Ryan before the window closes. The purse strings are tight and the only way JH is going to get any money to strengthen is if he sells our biggest asset. I hope we have learned from our past poor negotiating skills and place a minimum tag of £1m before we even start talking. If we don't get any interest at that level I would agree that we should get him tied up on a contract reflecting his worth to us. A big asset deserves a decent contract. I believe Doran is the second highest earner at the club and imho he couldn't lace Ryan's boots. I hope our board have the balls to take this on. 

Until the club and or the player have actually been contacted regarding a move I take this story with a pinch of salt. The press have made a story based on what? My understanding is that we have not been contacted by any club and where the bandied about figures have come from I dont understand.

JH is reported to have said he'd let Christie go if we could keep him on loan. Seems a bit tongue in cheek to me. Why would any club pay a large amount for a player just to let him continue playing for the supplying club especially considering they could get him on pre contract come january and only have a possible development fee to pay.

• Agree 1

Until the club and or the player have actually been contacted regarding a move I take this story with a pinch of salt. The press have made a story based on what? My understanding is that we have not been contacted by any club and where the bandied about figures have come from I dont understand.

JH is reported to have said he'd let Christie go if we could keep him on loan. Seems a bit tongue in cheek to me. Why would any club pay a large amount for a player just to let him continue playing for the supplying club especially considering they could get him on pre contract come january and only have a possible development fee to pay.

That is exactly why the club needs to address the issue NOW and not at the end of the year. If we allow Ryan to go in the Jan window under a pre-contract, our board should resign.

Edited by caleyboy
  • Disagree 2

That is exactly why the club needs to address the issue NOW and not at the end of the year. If we allow Ryan to go in the Jan window under a pre-contract, our board should resign.

A bit harsh considering they are the board who have kept us in the black at the same time as overseeing the most successful period on the field in our history.

• Agree 3

A bit harsh considering they are the board who have kept us in the black at the same time as overseeing the most successful period on the field in our history.

So they should put those skills to good use and continue the good work in securing our interests/assets, either by selling on a good deal or signing him up. 

Just curious whether people think the player gets a say in all of this ... :question: 

Plenty of folk saying sign him up now, or sell him on for a huge fee, or the board should resign if they cant get him to re-sign etc. As far as I know, Ryan does get a say in all of this and we cannot force him to sign up for longer, nor can we force him to accept a transfer (although he likely would given it would be a bigger team and wage). The club will do what they can to keep him for as long as they can, but they will not stand in the way of his progress. The Christie family have been, and I think always will be, very loyal to ICTFC so as and when Ryan goes, and he WILL go (onwards and upwards) I believe everyone will try to make it at a time that benefits everyone, or at least doesn't screw things up for everyone.  

• Agree 4

Just curious whether people think the player gets a say in all of this ... :question: 

Plenty of folk saying sign him up now, or sell him on for a huge fee, or the board should resign if they cant get him to re-sign etc. As far as I know, Ryan does get a say in all of this and we cannot force him to sign up for longer, nor can we force him to accept a transfer (although he likely would given it would be a bigger team and wage). The club will do what they can to keep him for as long as they can, but they will not stand in the way of his progress. The Christie family have been, and I think always will be, very loyal to ICTFC so as and when Ryan goes, and he WILL go (onwards and upwards) I believe everyone will try to make it at a time that benefits everyone, or at least doesn't screw things up for everyone.  

Of A bit harsh considering they are the board who have kept us in the black at the same time as overseeing the most successful period on the field in our history.

I really don't think anyone is stupid enough to think that Ryan doesn't have a say in his future. He is not a big earner at this club because we didn't have the foresight to make sure OUR position was as secure as possible. I wonder what Charlie would advise him to do if he was offered £1500+ per week plus the usual bonuses to stick another two years onto his contract (with an agreement to let him go if an acceptable offer came in). We have to make the effort because if this one gets away someone has to carry the can. This is the board's opportunity to show that they are being proactive and protect the club's BIGGEST asset because this is an area they have NOT been good at in the past.

• Agree 1

Maybe I'm too old and cynical. Vigurs arrives , Christie for sale signs go up and the spin is he can only go if he comes back on loan (so that's the starting position for bid negotiations)  or the other scenario is everybody is skint so the whiff of a news story gets blown out proportion.  E.g celtic sign championship player  for buttons sensation! In answer to the question nothing. One more season and retaining the cup. Forget the money that'll just disappear but the memories will last longer.

• Disagree 1

I'm sure that learning his craft here and emerging as a key player in the first team has been good for Christie's development, but to be honest, I don't see that he is going to develop a lot more here.  He works his socks off most of the time but all too often there is such a lack of movement in front of him that he is forced to play safe balls square or backwards with the result that he creates relatively little end product.  You can see the frustration at times.  I think he has reached the stage where he needs to move in order to develop.  He needs to move to a team with a more attack minded philosophy with players in front of him who can pull defenders out of position and create the spaces for the incisive passes he is capable of delivering.

I can see the attraction of offering him a 2 or 3 year deal on a much higher salary in the hope that it leads to a significantly higher bid in a couple of years time, but there are a couple of huge risks in that.  Firstly, with our limited resources, paying him significantly more means there is correspondingly less for others.  He needs good players round him to bring out the best in him and we will not attract and retain good players if we can't afford the wages.  Secondly, he may get injured or simply fail to fulfill his potential.  If that happens then we keep paying a high wage for an asset who is not actually worth too much.

Personally I think the best option for him and the club would be for us to cash in whilst we can and get a realistic (7 figure) price for him in this transfer window.  With Vincent, Doran and Roberts all due to return from injury, with Williams potentially available for midfield duties on Tremarco's return from injury, plus the re-signing of Vigurs, we have a lot of decent players in midfield.  Where we have a problem is up front.  With £1m+ in the bank we have the opportunity of attracting a better striker.  We also have far too many players on contracts which expire at the end of the season and this would also give us the opportunity to offer a little more to players the manager is keen to keep.

In selling Ryan, a loan clause would be an option but not an important one as far as I'm concerned.  What would be far more important is to get some clause for a cut in any future sale of the player.  Yes, we would miss him if he went but personally I think the benefit of the major cash boost would more than compensate for that.  He is now at the stage where he will develop more without us, and with the cash boost his sale might generate I think the club would develop more without him.  It's time for him to move on with our very best wishes for his future.

• Agree 3

DD a very good post your first paragraph says it all.  We have to remember we are a small club with very small support and have to cash in where required, I don't think the club has the money to offer him a big long term deal.  We have to accept that any good young player will move on and he is the best local young player to come through the youth system.  We have to wish them all the best and no doubt we will follow them wherever they go.  Lets hope there are more to follow in the coming years.

• Agree 2

In the end of the day, whatever happens with Christie will happen. It would be great to see him stay another year, it would also be great to see a decent offer come in and have him progress. The most important thing for the board is to actually keep a good youth system going. Christie is not the only major asset in Inverness and the highlands. 

• Agree 1

In the end of the day, whatever happens with Christie will happen. It would be great to see him stay another year, it would also be great to see a decent offer come in and have him progress. The most important thing for the board is to actually keep a good youth system going. Christie is not the only major asset in Inverness and the highlands. 

Very true but I don't think we have or will have in the near future a talent such as Ryan.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1