Ryan Christie

DEANO96

if the extended year option isn't being used then i say sell him now for now less than £700k with him being loaned back and then getting a striker from celtic on loan as part of the deal. highly unlikely to get stokes or scepovic but maybe one from their development squad

That Alex O'Henley from BBC Alba has just tweeted that Anthony Stokes coming here on loan could be part of the Christie to Celtic deal if it goes through.

if that is true combined with the rumours that the guy in the dugout is an on loan striker and another arrived today and a further striker due in on Monday we will shortly be awash with strikers ! 

With our club that is a distinct possibility

Hope the new offer from Septic isnt as disrepectful one like the 500 grand which even Yogi said wasnt good enough

And hope getting him back on loan for the season was still part of the deal, But all the best to him even though he should have held out for an offer

from south of the border.

I can't help but feel we've backed ourselves into a corner into accepting a cut price offer for his real worth. Celtic know that we want any deal to include a loan back option and also that we need money to strengthen the squad. Hughes has been banging on about this for so long we may as well have included a 'For Sale' sign on Christie's strip the last few weeks. With only a couple of days to go to allow us to use any money from a transfer to improve the team Celtic can come in with a 'cut price' offer for Christie and we will be forced to accept it to get some money now or run the risk of letting him sign a PCA in January and still have no money to strengthen the side.

• Agree 5

I can't help but feel we've backed ourselves into a corner into accepting a cut price offer for his real worth. Celtic know that we want any deal to include a loan back option and also that we need money to strengthen the squad. Hughes has been banging on about this for so long we may as well have included a 'For Sale' sign on Christie's strip the last few weeks. With only a couple of days to go to allow us to use any money from a transfer to improve the team Celtic can come in with a 'cut price' offer for Christie and we will be forced to accept it to get some money now or run the risk of letting him sign a PCA in January and still have no money to strengthen the side.

There's not really any better alternative to what we're doing though unless Ryan was to sign a new contract with us. If we kept Ryan until January because no club met his asking price in this window, he would sign a PCA as you say and leave for nothing next summer. The other option would be to hope that a club was willing to pay £1 million, or whatever you deem to be his true worth, in this window - which might not happen. That's a pretty big risk to take; cash up front and a loan back until the end of the season is the best option for us.

However, it could be argued that the board should have got him tied up on a long-term deal much sooner which I certainly agree with.

ICT being faced with the brutal realtities of football, especially a small club with little income in a financially poor league. I don't understand the vagaries of football contracts but we seem to be unable to offer the sort of long term contracts that would have allowed us to get some return of the development of Shinnie and Watkins. I suspect the fee will be driven more by what we need now, i.e. funds and a proper striker. If we get £500k for Christie plus a loanback and even a decent player on loan that will be a half decent deal. Yes would be great to get more for him, but seriously doubt Celtic have much competition for his transfer, as I believe, Ryan has some draw to Celtic. I can't imagine him going to an English club where he would disappear into obscurity.

I agree that there probably is little way the club can 'win' here in the eyes of the fans however by publically broadcasting our position (something I can't recall us doing in the past) I feel we have weakened our position and Celtic can gain the upper hand as a result in any negotiations.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 1

Half a million doesn't seem like very much, especially compared with the likes of Gauld a year or so ago.  But, with getting him back for the season and a loan striker as well (Stokes I hope with his previous connection to Yogi) then I think we are in the beggars can't be choosers area, and I think I would take it.  We all knew he would be away sooner or later anyway.  Let's hope Ryan and the loanee forward can both have good seasons for us and help lift our league position into respectability.

Win the Cup again too, of course.

If Stokes comes as part of the deal, then given our drastic need of getting a genuine goalscorer, I think we need to accept this offer.

ICT being faced with the brutal realtities of football, especially a small club with little income in a financially poor league. I don't understand the vagaries of football contracts but we seem to be unable to offer the sort of long term contracts that would have allowed us to get some return of the development of Shinnie and Watkins. I suspect the fee will be driven more by what we need now, i.e. funds and a proper striker. If we get £500k for Christie plus a loanback and even a decent player on loan that will be a half decent deal. Yes would be great to get more for him, but seriously doubt Celtic have much competition for his transfer, as I believe, Ryan has some draw to Celtic. I can't imagine him going to an English club where he would disappear into obscurity.

The club do offer longer term contracts.  Foran, Doran, Warren and Meekings, for example, all have 2 to 3 year contracts.  Watkins was an unknown quantity when he first arrived so it would have been unwise to give him a longer contract at that stage.  Once he did make an impact he was then on the radar of other clubs and chose not to sign another contract with us, so I don't think there is much the club could do about this.

Realistically this isn't too bad an offer from Celtic. Seeing offers come in for him, he would probably have gone for nothing at the end of the season. So if it's true that we'll have him until then with Stokes (a proven premiership scorer) and £500K it's not all bad! Though the money has to be spent wisely.

Also think this season should be used to play more young players to find the next Ryan Christie.. Ali Sutherland, Calum Ferguson etc...

I can't see us getting Stokes.  I'd rather see us sign a striker than taking him on loan if we have to pay any sort of contribution to his salary - he'll be on at least £5k a week, probably a lot more.  Apparently Watkins was only getting £400 a week with us so we are well off the mark

Anything less than £1 mil for Christie is poor business.  If he signed a pre-contract next year he would still only be 21 and we would receive training compensation -  he is Scottish young player of the year and there are several examples of Scottish youth players not to win this title that have been signed for much more than that at his age.

Agree with RIG we have shown our hand too early but I don't blame the board for selling if we get a decent offer

• Agree 1

If we do get Stokes on loan then I think on balance this is not a bad deal at this point in time.  You might argue that we should have had Ryan on a longer contract and you might argue that we should have been able to find a half decent striker by now, but that fact is we have managed neither of those things.  What this deal gives us for this season is to retain Ryan's services and we get a decent striker who seems to be most prolific when playing for Yogi.  Stokes may not be a regular in the Celtic first team but he's still only 27 and should be a regular scorer for us.  That in turn should help in getting a few more through the turnstiles.

£500k may not sound a lot for a player of Ryan's potential but one needs to remember that he's far from the finished article and hasn't had too many outstanding performances (for instance, superb against Celtic in the Semi last year but rather ineffective in the final).  And let us suppose that an English club had come in with a £1million bid and no loan clause - what then?  Apart from the fact that Ryan may not want to move to England, we would have had no Christie and no proven striker and precious little opportunity to use the cash to fill those gaps.  This way we keep one good player for a season, get a much needed quality striker for a season and have £500k in the bank which can be used to help with extending contracts of other players we want to keep.  Clearly we also need to start planning for next season when we are likely to have neither Christie or Stokes.  The cash may help us to do some more permanent business in January.

I think if a loan deal for Stokes is included in what was already on the table without a major contribution to his wages, then this will soften the blow from our end. The figure for Ryan is still well short of what we all want and what he is worth but last night this deal was being compared with the Scott Allan deal(275k or so) by Michael Stewart or Stuart McCall which is a bit off the mark, I think comparisons to the Ryan Gauld deal would be a lot more accurate.

Something really bugs me about the way Yogi has been harping on about Ryan during this speculation and don't think he has contributed positively at all. 

There's not really any better alternative to what we're doing though unless Ryan was to sign a new contract with us. If we kept Ryan until January because no club met his asking price in this window, he would sign a PCA as you say and leave for nothing next summer. The other option would be to hope that a club was willing to pay £1 million, or whatever you deem to be his true worth, in this window - which might not happen. That's a pretty big risk to take; cash up front and a loan back until the end of the season is the best option for us.

However, it could be argued that the board should have got him tied up on a long-term deal much sooner which I certainly agree with.

Ryan is contracted to us till 2017 due to having a year's option on his existing contract so would not have left for nothing next summer

If he goes and we get him and Stokes on loan, then 20% of our outfield team will be ineligible to play agains Celtic. 

I assume sponge bob square head John Collins will be in the media how this helps create the strong opposition they need to avoid getting regularly pumped out of the Champions League  

• Agree 2

If he goes and we get him and Stokes on loan, then 20% of our outfield team will be ineligible to play agains Celtic. 

I assume sponge bob square head John Collins will be in the media how this helps create the strong opposition they need to avoid getting regularly pumped out of the Champions League  

Excellent point, HtG! Now that they've knee-capped the teams that were 3rd and 4th last year, they just need to decimate Aberdeen and Hearts to clear the path for another stroll to the title.

• Agree 1

Excellent point, HtG! Now that they've knee-capped the teams that were 3rd and 4th last year, they just need to decimate Aberdeen and Hearts to clear the path for another stroll to the title.

They havent gone near St Johnstone tho? Only kneecapped 3rd and 5th places

Ryan is contracted to us till 2017 due to having a year's option on his existing contract so would not have left for nothing next summer

The trouble is he's not contracted to us until 2017. The 'year's option' thing is something the club announce quite regularly when announcing new contracts but is utterly misleading.

Unless the club have a commitment in the original contract to keep and pay the player for that extra year then the club cannot commit the player to that additional year no matter what the original contract states. Basic employment law.

It means nothing and I wish our club would stop doing it. If we wanted to tie Ryan down for three years we should and could have offered him at least a three year contract to begin with. It's what the Likes of Dundee United and Hamilton do an benefit from it to the tune of millions of pounds. High time we learned our lesson so that we don't lose our next outstanding youngster for a few hundred thousand pounds.

If we had given Ryan a proper and enforceable three year contract at the time we would almost certainly be looking at a fee that would guarantee keeping us in the black for four seasons.

• Agree 2

Well it is depressing enough being stripped of our best players after last season, but with Hughes having broadcast Ryan's availability, and Celtic cannily leaving it until the end of the transfer window, we will no doubt be taken for a ride yet again. We ought to be safeguarding our interests, especially by insisting on hefty sell-on fees, but I have no faith in our negotiating ability after this latest blunder.

• Agree 2

Well it is depressing enough being stripped of our best players after last season, but with Hughes having broadcast Ryan's availability, and Celtic cannily leaving it until the end of the transfer window, we will no doubt be taken for a ride yet again. We ought to be safeguarding our interests, especially by insisting on hefty sell-on fees, but I have no faith in our negotiating ability after this latest blunder.

John Hughes no doubt broadcasts availability in a bid to entice offers before a player ends up going for free because of our short contracts. The same thing happened with his media comments on Billy Mckay in the run-up to the January transfer window. The club seems to rely on periodic windfalls and if it's the only offer on the table ...