Inverness Butchers

Slightly off topic but in my childhood home town there was a butchers which rejoiced in the appealing name of "Badham and Grizzell".  I've just looked them up and remarkably, over 40 years later they are still in business at the same premises!

Great stuff! And Inverness has solicitors by the name of Cheetham and Robb, albeit not working for the same firm.

In Dalneigh in the 50s/60s, long before the era of Munro and Coffey, Bobby MacKay used to come round with his butcher's van and that was very popular. They did wonderful spicy, family sized steak pies. I think Bobby used to live in the house right beside the Tomnahurich canal bridge and kept the van there.

The one in the OP is Flockharts which was at the "backawoolies". The shop closed long ago but the family are still active in the food industry. Duncan farms at near Croy and supplies my turkey every year. After Flockharts closed, my mum shifted to MacLennan's. Margaret MacLennan was a local councillor for some years, and I THINK may have deposed her commercial rival ex-Provost "Billy Butcher" Fraser to win her seat.

My old Mum always used Duncan Fraser's butcher shop in Queensgate.  On the rare occasion I was with her when she walked into town to get her 'messages', I well remember her shopping for mince by selecting a piece of prime beef on display in the shop, and then insisting that it be minced in front of her. She didn't want to be fobbed off with any old fatty stuff they had pre minced in the back of the shop!.

D'you remember RIGGS the butchers ??  What street were they in ??

Riggs had a few shops one in Grant Street across from Mackay's Butchers.  I think they also had a shop in Kenneth Street & Eastgate.

Slightly off topic but in my childhood home town there was a butchers which rejoiced in the appealing name of "Badham and Grizzell".  I've just looked them up and remarkably, over 40 years later they are still in business at the same premises!

Great stuff! And Inverness has solicitors by the name of Cheetham and Robb, albeit not working for the same firm.

In Dalneigh in the 50s/60s, long before the era of Munro and Coffey, Bobby MacKay used to come round with his butcher's van and that was very popular. They did wonderful spicy, family sized steak pies. I think Bobby used to live in the house right beside the Tomnahurich canal bridge and kept the van there.

The one in the OP is Flockharts which was at the "backawoolies". The shop closed long ago but the family are still active in the food industry. Duncan farms at near Croy and supplies my turkey every year. After Flockharts closed, my mum shifted to MacLennan's. Margaret MacLennan was a local councillor for some years, and I THINK may have deposed her commercial rival ex-Provost "Billy Butcher" Fraser to win her seat.

When Munro & Coffey closed Mike Coffey took over the butchers in Tomatin Road and is now still working at Munro's in Dingwall.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Saved by a public outcry

image.jpg

Has it actually been officially saved from Council Jobsworthism? I really despair if our Council, at a time of unprecedented crisis, has got nothing better to do than persist with tilting piers and put a stop to good crack like this. It was last week's HN front page story and it grew like a rash throughout the national media. It made Highland Council look very silly indeed. Ironically the business used to be run by a former Provost, having been founded by his father and is now run by his son.

On 4/15/2016 at 7:44 PM, Charles Bannerman said:

Was that the same MacKay (Bobby MacKay) as had the butcher's van that went round Dalneigh and other schemes like Jocky Lawson? The MacKay family home was beside the Torvean canal bridge.

Yes that's the same family.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...