The War Years

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

image.jpg

The Scotts Guards late 60's or early 70's most likely marching to the Inverness Tattoo at the Northern Meeting Park.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would that last one be the Cameron barracks by any chance, IHE?

I believe all my uncles on my mother's side were in the Camerons in the 1st WW. One left dead at 19 years old on the battlefield and the other two badly injured.

And, if so, is it possible to  gain entry , say the next time I come over , to see if there are any memorial plaques inside that I could see?

Scarlet,

you are right it is the Cameron Barracks the photo from the early 60's going by the cars.  It has not changed much over the years and is now used as a training camp mainly for TA and Cadets.  To my knowledge there are no memorial plaques there, where you need to go is the Old High Church where there is a memorial for WW1 and WW11 on the wall outside (see the picture below) and the Regimental Colours and Roll of Honour inside the church which is open during the tourist season, or the Regimental Museum at Fort George is worth a visit if you are more interested in the history of the Regiments.

Inverness High Kirk Parish War Memorial

Thank you ,IBM. Much obliged.

In looking at the memorial through a magnifying glass it's still very difficult to pick out a name but I don't think my uncle Duncan (19) is mentioned. I have no doubt, however, that many young Cameron men died in that conflict and the space on this particular and pleasing  memorial is very limited indeed.

I will certainly have this in my mind when next I visit and will  go over to the church for sure.

Kind regards. S.P.

• 2 weeks later...

Roll Call of the 2nd Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders, near Beaumont Hamel on the afternoon of 1st July 1916, the first day of the Battle of the Somme. The insignia on their sleeves indicates that they were part of the attacking force. During the first day alone, this battalion of Seaforths lost over 500 men while the British army as a whole suffered 57,470 casualties, of which around 20,000 were killed.

Somme.jpg

My Grandfather and Great Uncle both fought at the Somme in the 8th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.  My Grandfather survived the war after being awarded the Military Medal in September 1917 and loosing his brother on 5th August 1916 at the Somme.  He never talked about it and when I once asked him what he got his medals for he replied, for stealing bully beef!  

Yes IBM--I once asked my dad what the war was like and he answered obliquely and really said nothing .I was watching a video doc. about the Somme very recently and it featured the terrific explosions in that particular conflict originating rom the underground tunnelling. The results were horrific and stupefying ....for both sides . Most of the dead soldiers' bodies were buried by the falling earth  or just evaporated from the blast.