Wee Billy

...and this once again raises the issue of players' value. We sell him to Wigan for ~£150k on tghe back of a couple of seasons in which he scores >20 goals in each and, following a handful of games and no goals (I think) in 6 months at Wigan, his value has apparently gone UP by 1/3rd! While I understand that value is based on many factors, including length of contract remaining etc, I can't help thinking that ICT are seen as a soft touch in the transfer market.

• Agree 1

...and this once again raises the issue of players' value. We sell him to Wigan for ~£150k on tghe back of a couple of seasons in which he scores >20 goals in each and, following a handful of games and no goals (I think) in 6 months at Wigan, his value has apparently gone UP by 1/3rd! While I understand that value is based on many factors, including length of contract remaining etc, I can't help thinking that ICT are seen as a soft touch in the transfer market.

Not really.

Wigan could have waited six months and got him for free. Dundee Utd are having to compensate Wigan for releasing him from his contract., which has about 21 months to run.

If £150k buys out 6 months, then Utd should be paying over 500k to buy out 12 months!

Stumbling block at Dundee Utd is they have agreed the £200k transfer fee with Wigan for Billy Mckay but wages they are offering is £2500 max and will not match his wages of £4k a week he currently gets at Wigan

Hibs are willing and can afford to pay these weekly wages  ...doubt Ross County will be serious contenders at that price nor given his respect for ICT do I think Billy would go to Dingwall  

Cannot believe that County can afford Billy. Where on earth do they get the money to approach players on that wages. We must have made double what County took in last term and we are still scratching about for a striker.

Do people not believe Roy MacGregor is a multi millionaire and regularly supports county with a 7 figure sum . Last year he wrote off 1 million . Previous year funded the relaying of the pitch to tune of 400 k. Ask anyone in the know at county and they will confirm that . With 1m extra for Ictfc every year what a team we would have .regretfully we can only continue to support and enjoy our " wee team" until a seriously ex pat multi millionaire football fanatic comes along 

Cannot believe that County can afford Billy. Where on earth do they get the money to approach players on that wages. We must have made double what County took in last term and we are still scratching about for a striker.

Do people not believe Roy MacGregor is a multi millionaire and regularly supports county with a 7 figure sum . Last year he wrote off 1 million . Previous year funded the relaying of the pitch to tune of 400 k. Ask anyone in the know at county and they will confirm that . With 1m extra for Ictfc every year what a team we would have .regretfully we can only continue to support and enjoy our " wee team" until a seriously ex pat multi millionaire football fanatic comes along 

The solution is obvious.......merge !

:shithitsfan:

Not really.

Wigan could have waited six months and got him for free. Dundee Utd are having to compensate Wigan for releasing him from his contract., which has about 21 months to run.

If £150k buys out 6 months, then Utd should be paying over 500k to buy out 12 months!

I don't think that is right.  Utd do not need to compensate Wigan because Wigan are happy to let him go.  It is Wigan who need to compensate Mckay for ending his contract 17 months early.  If McKay is going to be paid £1500 a week less at Utd then Mckay will be wanting roughly £100,000 in lost earnings.

From Wigan's perspective, even if they give that to Mckay, selling him means that they release £2,500 a week and get £200k into the coffers.  For a a player who cost them £150k and has not scored a competitive goal for them in 7 months, that's not a bad bit of business.

Not really.

I don't think that is right.  Utd do not need to compensate Wigan because Wigan are happy to let him go.  It is Wigan who need to compensate Mckay for ending his contract 17 months early.  If McKay is going to be paid £1500 a week less at Utd then Mckay will be wanting roughly £100,000 in lost earnings.

From Wigan's perspective, even if they give that to Mckay, selling him means that they release £2,500 a week and get £200k into the coffers.  For a a player who cost them £150k and has not scored a competitive goal for them in 7 months, that's not a bad bit of business.

No.

Wigan were only happy to let him go once a certain value was reached - remember that Utd had a couple of previous bids rejected.

Clearly the player doesn't have to move if the wage is less, and at that point Wigan may well have to offer something to make up for the drop in earnings.

And if they give £100k to Mckay, they won't be getting £200k into their coffers.

Can confirm 100% what has been said already about County/Macgregor and those player wages. Since 2012 County have signed on average 7 players every transfer window and this summer have gone the full hog and signed a whole new team almost of English League 1/ 2 standard players. This comes at a hefty price ofcourse, but thats nothing for a guy who personal wealth puts him in the Top 100 wealthiest people in Scotland list  

Also, since 2012 Macgregor has financed the build of 2 new stands, extension of existing Stand, relaying of a new pitch AND draining system, brand new hospitality area and this summer a new club shop and supporters bar. 

I can tell you that our exploits last season has left certain people in a rage of envy and bitterness and therefore will stop at nothing now to equal our achievements. Sad, but true and i hope one day they'll pay the price for their lust for wealth and success just as Gretna, Livi and Rangers found out. 

However when you take the above into consideration and all that money that is at their disposle, it really confirms how continuosly pump they have been for a number of years now and how Glorious our achievements truly are. All we have done is to build steadily whilst staying within our means by signing out of contract non league players or finding talent from within. Therefore County should not only be looking to 'equal' us but better us. We have set the benchmark with no money, so what can they achieve with all the money in the world?  If they are unable to get top 3, Europe and a trophy this year or next, they have failed! Simple as that. The pressure is on them. 

We'll continue plodding on doing it our way (Y)

We Are Inverness

• Agree 9
  • Disagree 1

As well as Dundee United, Hibernian, Inverness CT and Ross County have all made offers to Wigan Athletic to sign striker Billy McKay.

COME HOME BILLY!

•  

Now some "journalist" for the Sun is saying he's agreed a season-long loan with United. That was a good few minutes of excitement anyway.

Not really.

No.

Wigan were only happy to let him go once a certain value was reached - remember that Utd had a couple of previous bids rejected.

Clearly the player doesn't have to move if the wage is less, and at that point Wigan may well have to offer something to make up for the drop in earnings.

And if they give £100k to Mckay, they won't be getting £200k into their coffers.

It goes without saying that Wigan want to get as much as they can for Billy and that Billy doesn't have to go unless he is willing to go - but that is irrelevant to the argument here. 

As things stand with Billy as a Wigan player they are committed to paying Billy, £4K a week for a further 17 months.  Utd are offering him £2.5K a week.  If Wigan agree to compensate for Billy's loss of earnings in full then Wigan could continue to pay Billy the difference of £1.5K a week for the next 17 months.  That is quite separate from the fee they receive from Utd.  They still get £200K into the bank but would be paying Billy £2.5K per week less than they are now. Over the course of the rest of Billy's contract that is a reduction in wages to Billy of £170K. By selling Mckay to Utd for £200K and fully compensating the player for loss of earnings, Wigan get £200K into the coffers and reduce their wage bill by £170K compared to where they would be if Billy simply dug his heels in and said he was staying.  Given that he seems to have dropped out of their plans altogether, that seems like a no-brainer on behalf of Wigan.  Interestingly, the fact that they did not accept a lower offer previously would suggest considerably more astuteness in the transfer market than we are displaying.

It is also interesting to note that if the suggested deal regarding Christie goes ahead, the money received would allow us to buy back Billy and pay him on the same basis as Utd have offered.  However, one year down the line we would have no Christie and two years down the line Billy's contract would be up and there would be no money left!