Crystal Palace

noho

Just thought i'd give Palace a mention. My mate and me are both "ex pats" he's from London and a Palace fan and i'm from oop north as they say here in Yorkshire. I know it's early days yet but second in the Premiersip however brief is a good start, i think it comes under the heading punching above their weight. I've adopted them as my English surrogate team, (same colours too), if they can keep this up and have a good cup run it'll be like the season we had last year.

Thanks NoHo.... Palace are of course my English team (and the shared colours are just one reason for my affinity to ICT), it could certainly turn out to be a special season. Palace are often considered to be 'punching above our weight' and in London terms are certainly second fiddle to Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs....I would save level with West Ham, but they have been 'given' the old Olympic Stadium on favourable terms. Certainly have been a bit of a 'yo-yo' club as well....but the difference for Palace over Caley is the amount of money swirling around the EPL...we have got (over?) rewarded for coming 11th and 10th in the past two seasons, about £145M, whereas ICT have got rewarded bugger all for decent league finishes in the past two years and winning a cup....which is why Caley are losing all of their best players.

The side issue with Palace is watching the Newcastle fans go bonkers at Pardew's decent run with us having driven him out last season. Certainly the best away record in the EPL this calendar year is something to be proud of

Thanks NoHo.... Palace are of course my English team (and the shared colours are just one reason for my affinity to ICT), it could certainly turn out to be a special season. Palace are often considered to be 'punching above our weight' and in London terms are certainly second fiddle to Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs....I would save level with West Ham, but they have been 'given' the old Olympic Stadium on favourable terms. Certainly have been a bit of a 'yo-yo' club as well....but the difference for Palace over Caley is the amount of money swirling around the EPL...we have got (over?) rewarded for coming 11th and 10th in the past two seasons, about £145M, whereas ICT have got rewarded bugger all for decent league finishes in the past two years and winning a cup....which is why Caley are losing all of their best players.

The side issue with Palace is watching the Newcastle fans go bonkers at Pardew's decent run with us having driven him out last season. Certainly the best away record in the EPL this calendar year is something to be proud of

Newcastle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: the Sevco International of the EPL.

I reckon this could be a year of upsets. With all the extra money coming into the league, the top 4 is much harder to call. Other than Man City, all the other big names have looked decidedly mediocre thus far.

Edited by AlexJones

Never really got on well with Palace being a former Dons ( Wimbledon supporter not Aberdeen) , but I know Selhurst Park well

Anyway I was very pleased with Palace on Saturday but I am not so sure they can maintain the good form for a season

But Swansea is another story

• 2 weeks later...

So what's your view of West Ham these days.

Pretty sprightly and spirited team these days eh? Went up north a week ago and handily whooped ...?

Yes...that was a great result. I see West Ham as our closest London rivals in terms of squad and performances over the past few years, once they get in to the Olympic statdium that will take them up a notch in terms of support and prestige I reckon (there is a view down here that West Ham have got a rather unfair hand up by the authorities in their desperation to find a permanent use for that stadium....be nice if Palace got some of that money for redeveloping our 'atmospheric' stadium)

West Ham play The 'Toon' today so hope they give them a going over!

A good showing by Palace, if MOD highlights are anything to go by, thought they deserved a share of the points. Man City look like beatable to me despite their good start to the season.

In fact MOTD didn't show half the stuff! we more than matched City in the first half, although they certainly came in to the game more second half...but we were going for the win right to the end so their goal was a sickener. Also annoying was MOTD spent time on Dann's tackle on Aguero because Pellegrini suggested a red card should have been shown yet totally ignored Mangela's tackle from behind on Puncheon in the 2nd half which was definitely worse (and should have been a red not a yellow, but perhaps I'm biased!)...but there you go.

Have you been to 'Speronis' restaurant OP? He used to be somewhat of a cult hero when he was in Scottish football, playing in one of the most bonkers teams in living memory - Dundees Bonetti Revolution! Imagine the likes of Claudio Cannigia, Fabrizio Ravanelli and Attilio Lombardo - playing alongside the likes of Jamie Lanagfield, Graham Bayne and Barry Smith. Crazy stuff. Good to see him still doing well down there for Palace.   

Have you been to 'Speronis' restaurant OP? He used to be somewhat of a cult hero when he was in Scottish football, playing in one of the most bonkers teams in living memory - Dundees Bonetti Revolution! Imagine the likes of Claudio Cannigia, Fabrizio Ravanelli and Attilio Lombardo - playing alongside the likes of Jamie Lanagfield, Graham Bayne and Barry Smith. Crazy stuff. Good to see him still doing well down there for Palace.   

Speroni had a testimonial at the end of last season....against Dundee, and they brought 2000 fans down with them, and they are definitely bonkers!