Shinnie for Scotland

mikeyrob73

So has Graham Shinnie suddenly become a better player now he is at Aberdeen ? 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aberdeen-defender-graeme-shinnie-set-6510137

just goes to show if you play past Perth you have no chance of a call up 

Edited by mikeyrob73

It's pretty a standard red top story but it is a bit galling to read it at face value and assume that he has only been playing at this level since he went to Aberdeen. Apart from maybe a wee dip in form around the start of this year Shinnie has been a consistently outstanding performer for about two seasons now. He is playing no better at Aberdeen than he was with us. He has deserved a call up for a long time now and whilst I am disappointed he never got that chance with us it's great to see that he is finally getting the recognition he deserves.

• Agree 12

I noticed he pulled up with a hamstring problem in mid week against Hibs...or is he just scarred of returning to Inverness this Saturday :blink:

Glad he's got his deserved call up which should have happened a couple of seasons ago. Obviously ICT isn't a big enough club to have International players.

Well done to the lad if he is called up, thoroughly deserved - he has no control over the criteria the SFA use but he moved to Aberdeen for reasons he could justify and right now that team is top of the league and he may get the call up to the national squad he wanted. I would suggest from his personal perspective so far its been a successful move helping meet his aims only helped by his excellent start to the season and numerous MoM awards.

I do wonder if the perception of the quality of players we have does make a difference, he always looked the best player in our team but has now moved to a squad with more quality and internationals yet still looks a cut above. The biggest surprise for me still is that Celtic never took him afterall LB is clearly their weak position, his stay at Aberdeen may be short if he continues this kind of form as its only a matter of time before bigger clubs notice him further.

• Agree 2

I'll be pleased for Shinnie , but this should have happened two years ago.  Of course he hasn't become a better player, only that he now plays for a more fashionable team.  For me, if Shinnie is now selected, Strachan has just confirmed how shallow he is.  Not Shinnie's fault of course.

• Agree 7

Well done to the lad if he is called up, thoroughly deserved - he has no control over the criteria the SFA use but he moved to Aberdeen for reasons he could justify and right now that team is top of the league and he may get the call up to the national squad he wanted. I would suggest from his personal perspective so far its been a successful move helping meet his aims only helped by his excellent start to the season and numerous MoM awards.

I do wonder if the perception of the quality of players we have does make a difference, he always looked the best player in our team but has now moved to a squad with more quality and internationals yet still looks a cut above. The biggest surprise for me still is that Celtic never took him afterall LB is clearly their weak position, his stay at Aberdeen may be short if he continues this kind of form as its only a matter of time before bigger clubs notice him further.

I heard he was on Celtics radar last winter. It took Celtic a while to find their form last season. If we had a few more points and Celtic had a few less at Christmas then I think he would now be a Celtic player.

Theres nothing to say that he will be picked for Scotland, I hope he is but its all speculation at the minute.

Id personally be delighted for Graeme but as others have already stated its a bit galling he had to leave to get an opportunity! 

I thoroughly agree with your sentiments OCG but until Scotland gets a manager outwith old firm contact Players from the Highlands will not be considered until they move on. It is part of deeply inbred culture that will take a lot of rooting out.

• Agree 1

It's just the way it is but a manager will always leave himself open to criticism picking a player from a smaller club if it doesnt work, however if he gets it right then hes called a genius.

From helping a team get to 3rd in the league and also winning the Scottish Cup its quite likely that he would be picked anyway even if he was still with us. 

He now moved to a club with stiffer opposition so best of luck to him.

It's just the way it is but a manager will always leave himself open to criticism picking a player from a smaller club if it doesnt work, however if he gets it right then hes called a genius.

From helping a team get to 3rd in the league and also winning the Scottish Cup its quite likely that he would be picked anyway even if he was still with us. 

He did ? Aberdeen are in the same league as us mind ! 

He did ? Aberdeen are in the same league as us mind ! 

He is playing against stiffer opposition. 

Hes now playing against -Us

• Agree 1

Ryan Christie will be the same, if he gets into the Celtic team.

Remember Strachan picked a lad McGregor for Scotland after he had played about 3 or 4 games for the Celtic first team, rather than a player with 100 or so SPL games with so called lesser clubs. Whats he done since!!!!!!

Same old story from Scotland managers who think if you play for the Old Firm, you clearly are better than all the other players from the other clubs in Scotland. One more reason to despise the Old Firm and central belt media.

Always knew that Shinnie would be capped when he moved away from a wee club. Question to Strachan, why did you have to wait, and who won the Scottish Cup last season with Shinnie in their team???

Anybody could see that he was the best attacking left backs in the country last season, and only had to watch the semifinal for the evidence, particularly the winning goal. So i am glad he is getting the belated recognition, and it will benefit Scotland. Whoever he ends up with, and he ought to be able to go a lot further than Aberdeen, he will always be one of ours. :ictscarf:

Edited by The Long Man
  • Agree 1

In my opinion, as good as Aberdeen fans think he has been I think they've been playing him out of position. He's much more effective at left back than where they've been using him at defensive midfield. He was absolutley bossed on Saturday in the first half and looked their best player in the 2nd when he moved to left back in place if that total donkey considine.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good likelihood of getting a cap this weekend, now that the Gibraltar game is even more meaningless than a meaningless friendly, and the higher profile players won't be remotely motivated to take part.

• Agree 2

Couldn't agree more.

A hard working, non-complaining and modest man (but) under appreciated at International level.

I hope he cements his place in the Scotland team and the very best of luck in his future career. I sincerely hope that nerves don't get the better of him in his first game to dilute his vigour and performance. Other teams would now have loved tohave signed him  but have been a tad short in praise up to now. It's all about who you play for not the actual skill level of any player. PSHAW! to that baloney. Kudos to Strachan for advancing his recognition.:wave: