Yogi's Contract

Pele_Is_God

I didn't see the report, but seemingly Yogi said on STV News the other week that "he'll be willing to stand aside whenever Richie Foran wants to take over."  As far as I'm aware, his contract is up at the end of the season (I don't know about Brian Rice).  I wonder if he'll see out this season with Richie Foran as boss for next season with Hughes leaving or being moved upstairs.  Stranger things have happened.

A few minutes ago, before I heard about McNamara getting sack, I logged on here to post saying that he'll soon be gone and Utd won't have to look much further than a drive up the A9  to find 2 candidates who would do a much better job, earn less and work with a smaller budget than the outgoing manager. Hopefully they will prefer McIntyre because of his history with Utd.

There's a very toxic atmosphere throughout Tannadice at the moment and all sorts of politics in the board room with the Thompsons wanting out.  Bargepole stuff.

Edited by Yngwie

I didn't see the report, but seemingly Yogi said on STV News the other week that "he'll be willing to stand aside whenever Richie Foran wants to take over."  As far as I'm aware, his contract is up at the end of the season (I don't know about Brian Rice).  I wonder if he'll see out this season with Richie Foran as boss for next season with Hughes leaving or being moved upstairs.  Stranger things have happened.

yeah I wondered what that was all about, statement really came from nowhere on the back of singing forans praises for a 7 min cameo off the bench. Maybe yogi is already planning planning to planning to go realising he's taken us as far as he can and the board need something back for the 18 months and counting they pay foran when crocked.

• Agree 1

Butcher started all this tosh about Foran taking over as manager. I understand why, dangling a carrot to keep a (then) key player at the club, and also talking up his buddy (or 'co-dependant' as our resident psychologist would say). But from the clubs point of view, it's a terrible idea. He has zero managerial experience of any kind at any level. It's a recipe for disaster. Jobs for the boys might be business as usual at Highland League level, but we're a Premier League club now.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

I would hope that J H would stay in a capacity which would guide Foran whilst he learns the trade.

J H is one of the most under-rated managers in the spfl , He is shrewd, honest and has given the league a freshness in tactics which most Clubs are now trying to emulate.

When he retires from management I would like to see him go on to higher things in the SFA He is not backward at coming forward ,speaks his mind and knows how football should be run.

• Agree 3

Well, there is little fear of anyone contradicting your thoughts, Bughtmaster. But what's all this talk about a new Manager anyway.? Why would John H .leave at this juncture? Another season like the last one and he would be in a position to have a good increase in remuneration and /or cement his relationship at the club for a more permanent future perhaps. Correct?

Richie is undoubtedly an excellent player with drive, flair and a high work rate. As such, he demonstrates unimpeachable professionalism and is an outstanding example of dedication and skill to the younger up-and-coming younger professionals at the club.

But what actual, consistent managerial experience does he have that could enable him to  take over what is no a winning , forward-looking club and continue the outstanding work of J Hughes and the current Board ? I can only leave that to those who know the answer to that question to explain further?

Working with, and under the guidance of, someone like John Hughes would be an excellent starting point but acting alone in the face of the trials and tribulations of the on-the-job challenges is another thing. The way the new manager reacts and handles these things is the forerunner and determinant of his or her future progress and success. Which means, in turn, that the Board has to first decide  whether or not to go for merely enthusiasm and hope or past managerial experience which has shown success to date. In my view, based on my past life's work ventures there is no substitute for experience.

An appointment as assistant  to Mr John Hughes as a first step would be a realistic and prudent move if his playing days are well nigh over (by virtue of injury, etc.). In fact I really can't see any other course for Richie in terms of management as being available to Richie at this point.

It would be wonderful if he could stay at the club, though, IMHO. Both for him and the club.:ictscarf:

• Agree 3

Spot on Scarlet, perhaps I did not make it obvious that I did not think John  has any intentions of leaving us, Trouble with the ageing process is that I state the obvious and the moot points and the rest is left to guess work.....sorry about that!

You are right as assistant to John, Richie would learn the ropes and the managerial ken that is lacking in so many other aspiring managers and give him the confidence to lead the team through the maze of minefields on and off the field of play that trip up so many potentially good managers who rush in and suddenly find themselves floundering out of their depth.

I want both Richie and John to spearhead this club into a future of stability and success and I do believe that there is every chance that this will be achieved and that in the future our ground will become too small for ticket demand...........not a dream but a strong possibility.

It seems very convenient to avoid ICT and County fans squabbling over supporters buses for a 12pm Sunday ko in Glasgow for the semis or final.

The trains going down would have been interesting.

We love being underdogs and County are clear favourites for this one.

No way should Foran manage ICT until he has cut his teeth in the lower leagues. JH is both Manager and Coach he has changed our style of play. In fact not since the days of Steve Paterson has ICT been so attractive to watch. We need stable management, coaching and scouting if we are to progress so yes, i would offer JH a contract extension now. let's not repeat history where we waited for an approach from Aberdeen before offering Paterson a 5 year contract. Let's face it, if a manager is at a club which has to consistently sell/release it's best players it's not going to take much to turn his head and move on. If he has security of employment it is a different situation. I am sure Dundee Utd and Motherwell would love to have him as their Manager. Utd in particular have a lot of talented youngsters which would appeal to JH in terms of building a team.

• Agree 1

Uh oh. Yogi is being linked with other clubs. http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34396366 

I genuinely feel sorry for him.  

After the fabulous success of last season, losing quality players from throughout the side must be tough for him. It has certainly been tough for us fans.  

Surely we must have got a wee bit of extra money from the cup final win and finishing 3rd? Could more money be made available for him to sign more players?

What's happening?

More importantly, can we get him signed up on a long term deal? It would give him and our club more stability to build for the future and continue to progress.

Stability is key. 

I wouldn't be surprised if its Hughes that Stephen Thompson was referring to on the stv news, when he was saying they

will consider approaching another club with a manager under contract if it was right for Dundee Utd and that compensation would not be a problem !  :sad:

I am not surprised that John is being "linked with other jobs", he, like Tommy Wright is a Scottish Cup winner and has done a " marvellous job with a smaller club " and wouldn't cost that much in terms of compensation but do I think he will go? Unfortunately I do because he would like "another challenge " with better wages than Kenny would offer.   I know that he is "content at Inverness" but I really fear that he would be persuaded to go, it worked with Jackie McNamara so I am sure Stephen would try again, this time with John.

I do concede that ONE DAY John will leave us but would hope its later on in his career.

Edited by Shaun

Exactly what is meant by "a contract extension" though? He's on a two year contract isn't he and as I recall he's only completed one year? Or does the word "contract" or "agreement" or even "gentleman's agreement" now mean nothing these days.

If so, why bother to sign any paper? Right? All you have to do then is a pas-de-bas and say .."After you Claude."

If I am correct then the Manager has an obligation to honour his side of the agreement just as ICT has to honour their side. I feel certain that both parties  would do that due to the character on both sides so why rush around?

"One swallow does not make a summer"  springs to mind.  The expectation should be no release during the formal contract period  unless at the discretion of the club and accompanied by a large monetary compensation for the club if that is agreed to.

Or, as a prominent lawyer would say..." A contract is a contract is a contract.":wave::ictscarf: