Yogi's Contract

Pele_Is_God

I would imagine United will look elsewhere.

I would like JH to extend his contract but unless another club offers a generous amount of cash then he won't be going anywhere this season.

General Melchett: If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. :)

Im assuming you know exactly how much it will cost for Yogi to leave before his contract finishes, or are you just assuming he is only worth his salary until the end of May.

Naturally I don't know for sure. Just a bit of banter bud. Frankly, I'd be amazed if Yogi didn't go to Utd. Not because he necessarily should. The rumours, the fact that £ talks and he is bound to be offered more there, he'll naturally feel professional pride and maybe not believe the Inverness manager "curse", the lure of a " bigger" club, closer to family, the feeling he has probably maxed out at Inverness ... And finally the feeling I get that we maybe haven't even offered him a better/extended contract ... Unbelievable as that might be .... Have we really "shown him the love", our most successful ever manager? 

Edited by cif73
Typo

Just resigning can hardly be the answer for Mr Hughes because in a lawsuit against him by the club, on grounds of  breach of contract, the club would /could cite the fact that by doing so he immeasurably hurt the financial stability of ICT. This is, of course, on the assumption that he had not made an offer of compensation to the club which, in the ordinary course of business, could be readily viewed as a fair one and/or no prior warning of his impending resignation  was given to show that  adequate "Cause' for the resignation existed. In short, desertion on flimsy grounds merely to enrich the person who is initiating this, which may  be at the expense of the other party to the contract, does not constitute a valid argument in favour of the deserter. To assume otherwise would make the signing of contracts impracticable and a useless event offering no adequate and fair protection to either party.

Because that would also mean that ICT could, equally, dump the manager or player with no prior warning and without adequate  compensation being offered calculated by reference to, and in accordance with, a  formula already in place to cover such an eventuality. Which is the whole purpose of each party's signing of  the contract between them in the first place isn't it?

image.jpg

Wise words immortal fellow

What a dilemma for our John, stay put and be a big fish in a small pool, with little likelihood of ever becoming really rich or having the resources to build and progress a stable squad of players playing his brand of football......or........dive headlong into a maelstrom where it is doubtful that he will be given the same freedom to develop and the future as dicey as a crap table...... but...... financially he will prosper and he will be closer to his family.

I would really like him to stay as he has shown that he is capable of whipping a side together through injuries and losses of star players as well as getting record results for us and most of all has a jovial, honest and likeable personality that lights up the stadium.

• Agree 3

I might be thinking to optimistically but I can't see Hughes going to Utd...I think that if its true they're going to announce someone on Monday then it's a free agent and most likely McCall seen as he could well be out of his Scotland post within the next week! Saves Thompson paying any compensation and still getting a decent enough manager! 

I doubt that Hughes would want to leave stability that he has here for a mess of a club like Utd and I have a feeling, after reading Cameron's statement, that a contract may have been offered or is in the pipeline...this however just going on the fact he said they wanted Hughes for the remainder of this season and beyond.

If he decides to simply stay without further ado then all he has to do is have another season like the last one, continue the building process and, when the time is ripe at the termination of his current agreement, consider his options very carefully. Currently that's a challenge for him which he may want to accept or not.  As for the latter decision maybe at this time he may be  thinking : "The river, if taken at the flood, can lead on to greatness." So staying is not on his immediate agenda any more.

Personally speaking I think he needs another season or two at ICT to prove that he is "GREAT" because the circumstances that he has to handle this season at Caley Thistle will make or break him? After all, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

IHE's words, above, are worth thinking about because if J.H. can't make up his mind quite soon as to whether he wants to leave or stay, this could easily undermine subsequent results and his desire to be successful; not to mention the fortunes of ICT . Something that I feel sure is the subject of discussion at Board level.

Assuming he continues to be successful then at the end of the season his negotiating position will have strengthened by unimpeachable results and I doubt if anyone would  think that his wanting to leave and take up a better Managership elsewhere would be unreasonable. At that time the Board may also be happy to renew his contract on beneficial terms to allow him another season to prove he still has the magic touch.

:notworthy::ictscarf:

• Agree 1

Pele turned down United just about a month before he went to Aberdeen.  Butcher turned down Barnsley.

Paterson / United I remembered but I had clean forgotten about Butcher / Barnsley. Good call.

Edited by RiG

Pele turned down United just about a month before he went to Aberdeen.  Butcher turned down Barnsley.

Paterson / United I remembered but I had clean forgotten about Butcher / Barnsley. Good call.

I well remember Pele turning down United since I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time (in the tunnel post match) and was fed the line just in time to break the story on Sportsound.

Apparently when Eddie Thompson, Steven Thompson's late father who was chairman at the time, heard it he was not a happy bunny at all and seemed to think that Pele turning him down was my fault! That may have been the autumn of 2002 - some weeks before Pele eventually went to Aberdeen.

cautiously optimistic that an announcement from United on Monday is too soon for a reversal from "contact denied" to a deal being done, but nothing would surprise me....

This might be wishful thinking on my part, but the optimist in me is hoping that the significance of this supposed Monday announcement is that Stuart McCall has been busy on Scotland duty until tonight and isn't back in the country until tomorrow.

What slightly undermines that theory is that it would seem odd that Utd apparently spoke to him about a week ago, didn't appoint him, and then asked to speak to Hughes, which would kind of undermine McCall right from the start if he got the job. (Start as you mean to go on :lol: )

:shrug:

Claim on P&B that he has now been given permission to speak to Utd. Who knows what's going on? Unsettling.

To be honest, if that was true the media would be all over it. 

It doesn't add up either that he can speak to them today but they have stated prior to this that there will be an announcemet tomorrow.

McCalls odds have now dropped to 5:1

For us no news is good news.

All put your bets on a 4-0 hammering from Killie then next Saturday !!!:cry:

No chance. We tend to play well when we're in a managerial interregnum. Remember the game at Easter Road when Butcher was there as a 'guest of the Hibs board'? If Yogi's away by then, then put your money on a definat ICT win.

Claim on P&B that he has now been given permission to speak to Utd. Who knows what's going on? Unsettling.

To be honest, if that was true the media would be all over it. 

It doesn't add up either that he can speak to them today but they have stated prior to this that there will be an announcemet tomorrow.

McCalls odds have now dropped to 5:1

For us no news is good news.

iirc it was the same 'source' on P&B that posted about the announcement tomorrow and then claimed today that Utd have 'officially' been given permission to speak to Butcher; in other words, it's either someone trolling or desperately trying to appear like sort sort of oracle on the basis of hearsay. I wouldn't be getting my hopes either up nor down on the basis of anything that appears on that thread.    

• Agree 2

Daily Mail saying that despite John wanting a new deal, he wants the chance to speak with Steven Thompson once a compensation package has been agreed :-(.

I think this has a while to resolve but will result in John ending up at Tannadice :-(.

Are you not on first name terms with Steven Stephen?

Can't be long now until we hear the immortal line "After John indicated his desire to speak with Dundee United the club reluctantly gave permission for John to travel to meet with Dundee United to discuss terms." 

• Agree 1

Can't be long now until we hear the immortal line "After John indicated his desire to speak with Dundee United the club reluctantly gave permission for John to travel to meet with Dundee United to discuss terms." 

spot on by the looks of things. Purely money motivated if he does go. But let's get this clear Dundee united are not a big club and never ever will be. The frustration as always is that he won't be able to do anything more there than he is here. On the pitch we're a better club and have been for the last few years.

We'll get someone else though, till they do a good enough job at wee Inverness then off to the big boys like Dundee and hibs. 

Don't think it would be fair to say it would be purely money motivated. Unfortunately Dundee would be commutable for him from Edinburgh, so I'm pretty sure the chance to live with his family again may be quite a big draw. 

Pits not looking good by the sound of things, but will wait until I hear something official. If he does decide to go I wouldn't grudge him it. We've replaced successful managers before, and I'm confident we will do so again. 

• Agree 1

If Yogi's biggest gripe with ICT is not being able to hang on to star players, United is arguably an even worse place to go: Gauld, Mackay-Stephen, Armstrong, Cifci and most likely Souttar in the next window...and all to service a long-standing debt. My guess is that, if he does decide to go, it'll be family reasons first alongside a sense that he's taken ICT as far as he can, given the budget. Let's see what happens today.

I think the Chairman and the Board have sent out a very strong message if you read their statement carefully. If they U-turn a few days later accept a financial offer for Manager John Hughes they would lose all credibility with the support. Yes Yogi is in a win win situation but the bottom line is he still remains a ICT employee under contact until May 2016 and legally unless Inverness release him from his contract Dundee United are not allowed to speak or approach him.

Also Hughes owes a huge debt of gratitude to the chairman and the club for resurrecting his career and is very unlikely to resign from ICT and face the legal consequences of breach of contract action.

Remember Dundee United probably need a manager in place this week so now Stuart McCall is free of Scotland duties now and unlike Yogi does not require a financial compensation settlement so he will probably be announced on Wednesday.

ICT Chairman Kenny Cameron Statement

“On behalf of the Board of Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC I can confirm that Dundee Utd have, today, requested permission from the club to open discussions with Team Manager, John Hughes

"The club have stated previously that we wish John to remain with us for this season and beyond. This position has not changed and the approach from Dundee Utd has been rejected."