Yogi's Contract

Pele_Is_God

We remain a small club whose players and management staff see ICTFC as a platform to bigger and sometimes ( but always) better things. I do hope the next manager can bring some long term stability. A tough task with so many players contracts up for renewal at the end of the season.

If Yogi wants to leave he will be allowed to. What logic is there in keeping a Manager who wants to be elsewhere.

Don't see how the board can be blamed for losing credibility. Perhaps if more of the 14,000 who were at the final turned up at home games we would have a better chance at keeping Managers longer.

I think the Chairman and the Board have sent out a very strong message if you read their statement carefully. If they U-turn a few days later accept a financial offer for Manager John Hughes they would lose all credibility with the support. Yes Yogi is in a win win situation but the bottom line is he still remains a ICT employee under contact until May 2016 and legally unless Inverness release him from his contract Dundee United are not allowed to speak or approach him.

Also Hughes owes a huge debt of gratitude to the chairman and the club for resurrecting his career and is very unlikely to resign from ICT and face the legal consequences of breach of contract action.

Remember Dundee United probably need a manager in place this week so now Stuart McCall is free of Scotland duties now and unlike Yogi does not require a financial compensation settlement so he will probably be announced on Wednesday.

ICT Chairman Kenny Cameron Statement

“On behalf of the Board of Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC I can confirm that Dundee Utd have, today, requested permission from the club to open discussions with Team Manager, John Hughes

"The club have stated previously that we wish John to remain with us for this season and beyond. This position has not changed and the approach from Dundee Utd has been rejected."

I think you are missing the point? He could just resign like any other job. United would then pay up. 

Let's get this done with as much compensation and as quickly as possible so that our club can move onto it's next successful chapter in our remarkable history.

I agree with this stance. It's clear that John Hughes wants to go, let's just get it over with so we can move on etc. 

I have not seen the small print of John Hughes contract but he signed a legally binding contact until 2016 and no he can't just resign walk away and sign for a rival  ICT could enforce his contact legally through the Courts.

John Hughes would be put on gardening leave if  he tries to force matter.

ICT could take the same stance St Johnstone took with Tommy Wright and say he is not available regardless of financial offer.

• Agree 1

Credit to St Johnstone who have no bigger a fan base and no more resources than us and their manager Tommy Wright for managing to resist Dundee United's approach and agreeing a new long term contract. That goes to prove that mutual loyalty can still exist and be rewarded in football these days.

Clearly if there was such goodwill at the TCS it did not exist in sufficient measure on both sides.

Edited by Kingsmills

I have not seen the small print of John Hughes contract but he signed a legally binding contact until 2016 and no he can't just resign walk away and sign for a rival  ICT could enforce his contact legally through the Courts.

ICT could take the same stance St Johnstone took with Tommy Wright and say he is not available regardless of financial offer.

ICT will do exactly as they did with Butcher. Refuse the initial approach, speak to the manager  and talk about offering them a new deal but are told that the manager wants to talk to the club who has made the approach, ICT 'reluctantly' accept, manager agrees terms with approaching club who then agree compensation with ICT to release manager from contract.

When you look back at these articles on the BBC website ever get the feeling we've seen this all before?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24809195

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24827043

• Agree 1

It doesn't matter what the print, large or small, says, no employee can be held against their will.

We cannot stop him from moving to another club if he's determined to and it would then be a matter of seeking compensation for breaching the contract either from Hughes or United which could take months and have significant costs.

If he wants to go then much better to get compensation agreed and paid now.

• Agree 1

"No brainer" really for Hughes, IMO.
Back living at home with his family and young daughters, a guarantee of employment (for, I'd imagine 2- 3 years) when he's got nothing like that security with his current employer; plus, effectively 'promotion'...with a contract to manage at a bigger club - and for better wages!

Let's be honest, - we'd all jump at that opportunity - if in the same boat.

In many respects Yogi has maxed what he was capable of achieving with us in such a short space of time. He inherited a fantastic team that was very capable but he was the one who got the best out of them. He was never going to better last season. What would have been intriguing was whether or not this current crop would have progressed under his reign as it was the first time he'd had to recruit so extensively. Despite a rocky start there have been massive signs of improvement and a lot of promise shown, especially from some of the new boys. Would be a pity to see him go as things were beginning to turn things around.

I dont like pointing fingers but I feel the board have to shoulder some blame if he does go. The summer was always going to be a bit of a rebuild and on the back of what Yogi achieved the board should have taken care of him first and given him a new contract. Build stability again from the top. If I were Yogi I'd have been a bit scunnered that my long term future was not a top priority on the back of European qualification and our first major trophy. United see in him the success he achieved here and its no surprise they want him. The challenge there will be a massive one. Its poorest United team I've seen in years.

If Yogi wants to go then he cant be stopped. Get the best compensation and start gaffer shopping. I'll be forever grateful to him for giving us such an amazing 2 years as a club. In terms of who we should get to replace him I'd like us to go for Stuart McCall if its affordable. He favors shopping down south which suits our budget and squad and he's spoken highly of us in the past. He had a terrific run at Motherwell, may not have ended great but still achieved plenty and built a formidable team. Doubt the board would give the job to Richie but would like to see him get a coaching job. Maybe as McCalls assistant or something.

• Agree 4

Here`s another twist. Radio Scotland just saying on their sports report that John Hughes has returned to training with his team with no discussions regarding

Dundee Utd having taken place !        Hold the horses! :ohmy: 

oooh, the mystery! Don't think anybody has a Scooby what's going on here. Would love for JH to turn them down to "see how far he can take this right good bunch". Still unsettling - important game on Saturday!

If Yogi goes, it won't be for ambitious reasons. Realistically, Dundee United are not going to win anything that Caley Thistle can't. Top 3 finish, occasional cup triumph and European football. They're never going to win the league. In my opinion it can only be about money and being closer to the central belt. Sad if it comes to pass.

• Agree 1

Back living at home with his family and young daughters, a guarantee of employment (for, I'd imagine 2- 3 years) when he's got nothing like that security with his current employer; plus, effectively 'promotion'...with a contract to manage at a bigger club - and for better wages!

Tell that to Jackie McNamara. Can't believe how you lot are just accepting he's gone and probably doing the right thing when he hasn't even talked to United officially. It would be a crap move for him, a lunatic chairman, if it went wrong another big hole in his shaky CV while he's got the chance to build up a good record in Inverness and move onto somewhere better than Dundee United ffs. I don't know about his wife and kids, but we've got nice houses and schools up here too.

Tell that to Jackie McNamara. Can't believe how you lot are just accepting he's gone and probably doing the right thing when he hasn't even talked to United officially. It would be a crap move for him, a lunatic chairman, if it went wrong another big hole in his shaky CV while he's got the chance to build up a good record in Inverness and move onto somewhere better than Dundee United ffs. I don't know about his wife and kids, but we've got nice houses and schools up here too.

We're used to it by now. So we know what to expect. Patterson Robertson Brewster Butcher and now Hughes. All poached by other clubs. All have failed miserably 

Edited by lightlamp2

Fer fecks sake - there will be no aftermath - this is football "business" of the modern day. As I have alluded to before this has all been done behind doors, as it did with Narcissist, and any compensation etc. will be held in "confidence". This "deal" was done 10 days ago, the discussions ensued, the media "defensiveness" for the long suffering fans reached the deceitful and preposterous heights as usual and produces the usual, lengthy "will he, won't he " futile debate.