Yogi's Contract

Pele_Is_God

While I obviously don't know what offer has been made, it is hoped that the board have not been trying to save money by starting with a low offer then increasing. I really do worry that our board understand how football contracts work but will reserve judgement until details are known,

Those posters who have said that if Yogi goes we will replace him as we have done with managers in the past. However the danger is that all the progress we have made will be lost with a new manager and new players coming up and it will take time to get us back to where we were.

A football Manager's job is so precarious nowadays that it is completely understandable that a Manager especially one who is going through a successful period should aspire to get the best deal he possibly can from his parent club or any other looking to acquire his services.

Good luck to John I hope we put the boat out and secure him, he has done us proud and I am sure he will continue to do so.

ICT have been taken through loss of star players and many injuries and yet we are still in contention for top six, not many Managers could have done that....John has!

• Agree 2

hopefully it's so long john..........

the luckiest manager in Scottish football history.

took over a team that just missed out on Europe due to a last game of the season defeat at dingwall.

got lucky in his run to Europe as after xmas Dundee utd went into freefall  and st johnstone were just too far back to catch us.

got even luckier in the Scottish cup semi, we should have been 2-0 down and a down to 10 men for the second half.

lucky in the final to be playing a " lesser team", although they certainly didn't look like that in the 2nd half.

lucky a headed clearance up the park let Watkins in on goal where a weak shot was palmed out by the goal keeper into the path of a player who had legged it from his own box on the million to one chance he would get the chance he got.

when he lost players like mackay, shinnie and Watkins he replaced them with dud midfielders while everyone was shouting for a striker to be bought.  if it wasn't for the chairman finding miles storey we would still be waiting for hughes striker lopez " to come good".

when we won the cup all the celebrations were done at the corner flag area. everyone from there to the half way line, probably half of our support that day, were waiting cameras in hand to get a photo.

every cup final I ever saw on tv has the winning team showing the cup to all supporters wherever they were in the ground

yogi walked from the corner to the half way line, head down, hearing hundreds of fans screaming for a photo, ignored them all and at the half way line gave a couple of fist pumps to the Falkirk fans. will never forgive him for that.

• Disagree 4

hopefully it's so long john..........

the luckiest manager in Scottish football history.

took over a team that just missed out on Europe due to a last game of the season defeat at dingwall.

got lucky in his run to Europe as after xmas Dundee utd went into freefall  and st johnstone were just too far back to catch us.

got even luckier in the Scottish cup semi, we should have been 2-0 down and a down to 10 men for the second half.

lucky in the final to be playing a " lesser team", although they certainly didn't look like that in the 2nd half.

lucky a headed clearance up the park let Watkins in on goal where a weak shot was palmed out by the goal keeper into the path of a player who had legged it from his own box on the million to one chance he would get the chance he got.

when he lost players like mackay, shinnie and Watkins he replaced them with dud midfielders while everyone was shouting for a striker to be bought.  if it wasn't for the chairman finding miles storey we would still be waiting for hughes striker lopez " to come good".

when we won the cup all the celebrations were done at the corner flag area. everyone from there to the half way line, probably half of our support that day, were waiting cameras in hand to get a photo.

every cup final I ever saw on tv has the winning team showing the cup to all supporters wherever they were in the ground

yogi walked from the corner to the half way line, head down, hearing hundreds of fans screaming for a photo, ignored them all and at the half way line gave a couple of fist pumps to the Falkirk fans. will never forgive him for that.

You are not a fan of him then :ohmy:

Edited by IBM
spelling error

God almighty, we won the cup and some people are upset that Yogi didn't take a photo with them?! You couldn't make it up.  

Bizarrely some people can't just enjoy the fact we won the cup, instead choosing without a long winded poorly written rant belittling the club's achievements that would make the most paranoid of Celtic fans wince.  Don't think I've ever read anything so cringeworthy or self-indulgent in years!

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 8

God almighty, we won the cup and some people are upset that Yogi didn't take a photo with them?! You couldn't make it up.  

Bizarrely some people can't just enjoy the fact we won the cup, instead choosing without a long winded poorly written rant belittling the club's achievements that would make the most paranoid of Celtic fans wince.  Don't think I've ever read anything so cringeworthy or self-indulgent in years!

agreed...that post one of the worst I've read yet! John Hughes was the manager that led us to 2 cup finals, one trophy European football and good passing football (most of the time)! 

Yes the squad he took over was developed by butcher and co but he couldn't get us to a cup final and he never got us European football having missed out with a poor performance in Dingwall and if I remember correctly he was the manager when we were 2-0 at half time in the challenge cup final to Dundee team who were nothing special and we lost! 

Highes got us through one semifinal with 9 men, got us playing far better football and the other achievements which I've already stated! IMO Hughes should be offered a contract with some added improvements! And in terms of player recruitment...maybe all he needs is a decent scout...just as butcher had in Steve Marsella!!! 

Perhaps another Cup run will sweeten a new contract a little.

The powers that be still have a club to run though and with that comes the responsibility of keeping the club solvent.

Maybe the goalposts will move a wee bit IF we get past County on Tuesday.

Then we can all have a good moan about going to a 12:15 pm Semi in Glasgow on a Sunday.:tongueincheek:

agreed...that post one of the worst I've read yet! John Hughes was the manager that led us to 2 cup finals, one trophy European football and good passing football (most of the time)! 

Yes the squad he took over was developed by butcher and co but he couldn't get us to a cup final and he never got us European football having missed out with a poor performance in Dingwall and if I remember correctly he was the manager when we were 2-0 at half time in the challenge cup final to Dundee team who were nothing special and we lost! 

Highes got us through one semifinal with 9 men, got us playing far better football and the other achievements which I've already stated! IMO Hughes should be offered a contract with some added improvements! And in terms of player recruitment...maybe all he needs is a decent scout...just as butcher had in Steve Marsella!!! 

I truly hope that post is a wind-up.  An absolutely mindboggling piece of nonsense.  Certainly not written by anyone who could refer to themselves as a fan of ICT, that's for sure.  If it is true and that's his attitude, I'm glad Hughes ignored him.  I think I would too!

I truly doubt whether we'd have made either final under Butcher.  Look at Butcher's record for must-win games.  I don't think he won any of them.  Falkirk relegation decider - lost.  Challenge Cup Final - winning 2-0, still somehow lost.  League Cup semi - lost.  Europe game in Dingwall - lost.  Hibs relegation play-off - 2-0 up and lost.  Something's amiss there.  He's also been sacked from his last few jobs and was sacked by a few before us.  I think some people give him too much credit at times.  He built a good side yes, but he wasn't Alex Ferguson!

The Marsella point is an interesting one.  From what I gather we still have some link to the agency down south and we do have scouts working for the club (this was alluded in the Darren Murray speculation and prior to the Astra games).  I think Hughes' approach is something though that might not always be for the best.  He's said in the past that he won't sign players he hasn't seen live.  I can understand that, but I wonder if it means at times we miss out on some good players.  Butcher would seemingly sign players only on Marsella's recommendation and it seemed to have worked more times than not.  Some players simply won't want to come on trial....or think they're above it.  I for one, hope he stays a while yet, but perhaps his approach in some areas could be changed, being more beneficial for everyone.

We'll just need to see how this one plays out. I'm surprised that this has been leaked while negotiations are ongoing - there are now only 2 scenarios: 1. Yogi signs a new contract

2. He doesn't!

The problem with (2) is that he immediately becomes a lame duck for the rest of the season. By this, I mean that he will have no interest in maintaining and strengthening the squad for next season because he'll not be here.

For that reason alone, I hope a deal is done, preferably out of the public eye.

We'll just need to see how this one plays out. I'm surprised that this has been leaked while negotiations are ongoing - there are now only 2 scenarios: 1. Yogi signs a new contract

2. He doesn't!

The problem with (2) is that he immediately becomes a lame duck for the rest of the season. By this, I mean that he will have no interest in maintaining and strengthening the squad for next season because he'll not be here.

For that reason alone, I hope a deal is done, preferably out of the public eye.

This is my main concern right now with the whole situation. In the hypothetical scenario that our form continues to deteriorate like it has the past 2 weeks and (IF) Yogi is not committed to the cause then I am not so sure he is the right man to help get us through it. I'd like to hope the board would have a backbone to cut their loses before we'd find ourselves in a relegation dogfight. 

I personally haven't seen the STV interview that other fans have been talking about but it could be a smokescreen to try and negotiate with the board with more money on the transfer front but I am in two minds whether we should agree to that. Absolutely, Fon Williams has been a great signing for us this season as has in previous seasons bringing back Greg Tansey to the club and Eddie Ofere in as well. I would like to credit John Hughes on the loan signing of Miles Storey but Yogi admitted that he was a Kenny Cameron signing which gives me a little bit less faith in his transfer dealings. If he wanted more money this season, he shouldn't have pissed it away getting in mediocre players like Lopez, Mutombo etc. 

I really like Yogi being our manager and what he has achieved at Caley Thistle but if he doesn't want to be here then I hope the board are quick to act and resolve the issue before it's too late.  

.  Don't think I've ever read anything so cringeworthy or self-indulgent in years!

agreed...that post one of the worst I've read yet!

Ach go easy on the lad. I hear he's a bit disappointed at getting turned down as Tony Blair's spin doctor for when the Chilcot Report comes out:sad:

Seriously though, Renegade and DEANO are bang on there. A psychoanalyst would have a great time with a post like that. I don't suppose we've got any of them on here......?

Oh come on all you doubters.Yogi is the BEST thing ever to happen to this Club - FACT. What the do you really expect from the man? He has the smallest budget in the league and he works for people who don't really understand the football business. If they did, they would have given him a new contract immediately the Scottish Cup was won. OK, we are not doing too well right now but what do you really expect? If this club can stay in this division without needing a play off GREAT if we make top 6 BRILLIANT and anything better is a MIRACLE. Long may he reign!! 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

To be fair to Pishbashposh the "lucky" comments could be acceptable in that context. But the same could be said about any "underdog". What he does not appear to have taken in to consideration is that we were actually playing good stuff and playing well above our potential. It was a side clearly built on togetherness and the SEIGE mentality - and it worked - and probably gave most of us the most pleasurable six months of our footballing lives - and probably never to be repeated. You could even say that luck deserted us in the Europa Cup. And when you think about it Yogi celebrated more in the corner after the Cellic game - both occasions focussing on the singing sections. But don't think that he deliberately ignored the others. Clear signs of a Butcher defender - but the Narcissist was ego stroking with his false charm albeit homage playing to the away supports.

No great psychological mystery here. Clearly a fan who has never rated Yogi - probably a Butcher influenced individual - brainwashed and probably thinks that Yogi inherited the castle that Butcher built and took all the plaudits - probably a person that wanted Yogi to make a complete feck up of it - probably one who thinks that the Board are doing a great job and that the decisions about players leaving or staying is wholly the responsibility of the manager. I bet he didn't even go to Bucharest  - pity cos he would have got a great phottie in yon wee corner. :wink:

• Agree 1

Oh come on all you doubters.Yogi is the BEST thing ever to happen to this Club - FACT. What the do you really expect from the man? He has the smallest budget in the league and he works for people who don't really understand the football business. If they did, they would have given him a new contract immediately the Scottish Cup was won. OK, we are not doing too well right now but what do you really expect? If this club can stay in this division without needing a play off GREAT if we make top 6 BRILLIANT and anything better is a MIRACLE. Long may he reign!! 

Those people you criticise who you say 'don't really understand the football business have overseen an amalgamation of two former Highland League clubs consolidating, bar one season, in the top division for more than a decade now, under a number of managers whilst living within our means and achieving the balancing act of keeping the club both solvent and increasingly successful.

With respect, in my opinion, those running our club know a fair bit about the business of football and a great deal about the business of running Inverness Caledonian Thistle in particular.

• Agree 4

And they, the Board,  are all we've really got to keep the club stable, afloat and ticking over. They are the fulcrum upon which all activities spin.

Managers come and managers go and if Mr. So and So can't stay for two years without upsetting the apple cart and not necessarily feeling that the best course of action is to meet his or her obligations, do his best for the club and then see what develops towards the end of his contracted tenure, then what security does the club have, never mind the manager and his future?

It's a two-way street and our loyalty as fans is to the club, not to the manager. If he is on board with all that the management (i.e the Board) is trying to achieve and maintain then he should have our full support in his decisions until it is plain as a pikestaff that his way is not working. I repeat, he was basically an out of work coach when we intervened to hire him and give him his chance but what is being suggested seems to indicate that maybe some folks think that the coach is in charge of the club, not  the Upper level Management. --which is a very dangerous precedent to even think about let alone consider implementing.

Did we hire the Manager just to allow him to fail or not? ..Meaning, if he succeeds is that NOT what we hired him to do? Last season was a very good club  performance but it must be stated that he also had a settled team with good players. Now we find the other side of the coin is showing and what has he achieved to date in this season? This season is the real challenge for the new manager to prove how good he really is because one swallow does not make a summer.

If he feels that the player resources are not to his liking and the season may therefore be a failure, thus ruining his chances of future glory elsewhere, then the options for him are :-   1.Play on MacDuff and do your best .....or..... 2.Resign and again enter the relative obscurity from whence you came.:ictscarf:

• Agree 2

Excellent post old Pimpy, it certainly got me thinking !

Difficult situation, The Manager has done extraordinary well and should be suitably rewarded. He has vision for the Club and how football should be played versus your loyalty to the Club first aspect as so well put by your good self.

Perhaps he should do both become part of the Board and still oversee the playing side ?

Could it not be that there are people on board that are a little too restrained in their thinking and may be holding us back from reaching a higher status?

The unrest within us imho is down to the fact we are currently not consistently at our best but that surely is understandable considering the key players we have missing on a regular basis. I still think had we had the full squad available we would be in a much better league position than we currently are and we would all be shouting for the Board to compromise and keep our Manager happy and to continue our success story when we have a fully fit squad again.

It is the manager that should have the vision for the future. It is the manager who should set out the playing system to follow and come up with a blueprint for the future and set up what type of player that he wants and a list of potentials. A manager stays with a club when he feels that he is being supported in this role. A manager stays at a club when he feels that he has been appropriately rewarded for his performance, especially success, and that the Board are making as frenetic an attempt as possible to assist the vision. A manager may get frustrated when he feels that he is being undermined and unsupported. A manager begins to have doubts when he is unsupported and is being wrongly chastised in the eyes of fans and the media. That must particularly frustrate a manager who is honest and professional enuff not to show his displeasure in public when that stance goes against him.

Has anyone ever stopped to think that it is Yogi who chose to take Storey on loan after watching him in training. Anyone can make recommendations - even me, even you. And has anyone ever considered that not employing a full substitution bench may be a money saving method. And a manager hardly would want to stay at a club who appear to put thriftiness and overly cautious economics first and apply the redundancy threat or action to keep employees under control. Seems to me that there is a mini-dictatorship in existence at the TCS - "A gentlemans club" who put the Heathmount Fraternity to shame. 

• Agree 1

Those people you criticise who you say 'don't really understand the football business have overseen an amalgamation of two former Highland League clubs consolidating, bar one season, in the top division for more than a decade now, under a number of managers whilst living within our means and achieving the balancing act of keeping the club both solvent and increasingly successful.

With respect, in my opinion, those running our club know a fair bit about the business of football and a great deal about the business of running Inverness Caledonian Thistle in particular.

We obviously have different opinions, to which we are both entitled. I am fully aware of the financial restrictions applying to the club and I feel this is down to 2 reasons, the first being distinct lack of serious investment and second the level of support providing much needed cash flow. If the board were willing, I am sure serious investors could be attracted and this in turn would hopefully improve the numbers paying to support the club. Simplistic maybe but our 2014-2015 success has placed much greater demands on how the club is run and serious investment is now needed to maintain or improve the unexpected levels the club has risen to.

• Agree 1