Yogi's Contract

Pele_Is_God

Great news, no one panicked (well apart from some supporters!) and it's all come together, so important for the short to medium term

Now if Draper re-signs soon, we will be definitely be consolidating nicely.

Can we extend Storey's stay though? (or go one better?)

Positive news getting Yogi & Rice signed up, should bring stability and hopefully more contracts sorted out very soon. As mentioned above would love Storey to stay. Could come in handy for this years Scottish cup final :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34985616

Not sure that this makes for great reading! I think we all knew that Yogi would have liked to have spoken with United, but I'm not sure it was wise to bring it all up again and to highlight his issues with the club for not allowing him to speak with them at the time. I'm happy that we have kept Yogi for the stability that it brings, but sometimes he just says too much to the press for his own good!

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Not sure that this makes for great reading! I think we all knew that Yogi would have liked to have spoken with United, but I'm not sure it was wise to bring it all up again and to highlight his issues with the club for not allowing him to speak with them at the time. I'm happy that we have kept Yogi for the stability that it brings, but sometimes he just says too much to the press for his own good!

He can be as disappointed as he wants. He should also reflect on the fact that Dundee Utd weren't willing to meet the contractual value required to be allowed to speak to him.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

I'd be amazed if part of his new contract negotiations didn't include a 'clause' that stipulated that he should be afforded the opportunity to meet any future suitors!

Hughes is an advocate of a club not standing-in-the-way, if another comes-in with interest - or 'comes calling' as he puts it. He was vocal about that during the Christie move to Celtic. It's natural that he was disappointed not to be given the chance to just speak to Dundee United.
And, as Butcher demonstrated when he went to 'talk' to Barnsley, it doesn't necessarily mean a deal is inevitable.
Indeed, when he (Butcher) reflected on what he'd been offered then subsequently rejected it, to stay with us, it was such a huge 'shot-in-the-arm'!
The way Mixu has started at Tannadice, it may not be long before they're 'sniffing about' again! But at least we'd now get more compensation - one would assume!

• Agree 2

It's all very well allowing people to speak to our manager, but if the club making the approach isn't prepared to trigger the release by paying appropriate compensation then isn't it just wasting time and unsettling people? Given that the Dundee Utd chairman was giving it 'Compensation won't be an issue' at the outset of their search for a new manager, maybe what is said in the press by Utd shouldn't be taken at face value.

Although unsettling clubs above Utd may have been Thompson's aim all along.

1 hour ago, Sneckboy said:

I'd be amazed if part of his new contract negotiations didn't include a 'clause' that stipulated that he should be afforded the opportunity to meet any future suitors!

Hughes is an advocate of a club not standing-in-the-way, if another comes-in with interest - or 'comes calling' as he puts it. He was vocal about that during the Christie move to Celtic. It's natural that he was disappointed not to be given the chance to just speak to Dundee United.
And, as Butcher demonstrated when he went to 'talk' to Barnsley, it doesn't necessarily mean a deal is inevitable.
Indeed, when he (Butcher) reflected on what he'd been offered then subsequently rejected it, to stay with us, it was such a huge 'shot-in-the-arm'!
The way Mixu has started at Tannadice, it may not be long before they're 'sniffing about' again! But at least we'd now get more compensation - one would assume!

I would hope that any clause in the contract allow us to tell Thompson to ram it if he comes sniffing again.

19 minutes ago, Sneckboy said:

Hawkeye, I'm sure you wouldn't be too pleased if you were denied the opportunity to double your wages.

However, if my prospective employer was telling all and sundry in the media the compensation was not a problem and then failing to meet my current employer's valuation, I may wonder about the integrity of my suitor.

If United wanted to talk to them, they knew what they had to do. It would have been mad to allow the two parties to talk before compensation was agreed.

I don't have a problem with people progressing - in fact it is probably a necessity if we want people to come to our club. However, things have to be done in the right way, and I don't believe Thompson was acting in an appropriate manner.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

However, if my prospective employer was telling all and sundry in the media the compensation was not a problem and then failing to meet my current employer's valuation, I may wonder about the integrity of my suitor.

If United wanted to talk to them, they knew what they had to do. It would have been mad to allow the two parties to talk before compensation was agreed.

I don't have a problem with people progressing - in fact it is probably a necessity if we want people to come to our club. However, things have to be done in the right way, and I don't believe Thompson was acting in an appropriate manner.

I agree with that. Nor do I think Yogi has covered himself in glory with his public utterings. He is quoted in today's Scotsman as saying there are trust issues with the club. Perhaps they might go a long way to being resolved if he learned to keep what should be private and internal club matters just that.

• Agree 1

I'm less concerned about the rights and wrongs of allowing managers to talk to other clubs when under contract than Yogi publicly indicating that he was unhappy not to be allowed to speak to them.....only just having signed a new contract with us! He could, after all, have deflected the question by simply saying that he didn't speak to Utd - end of. As Kingsmills implies, why go public with an issue of mistrust with your employer after just having signed a contract? If he doesn't trust the club, he should have just packed up and gone. I just can't work out if he's incredibly naive or highly manipulative....

Edited by PerfICT
more accurate word!
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, PerfICT said:

I'm less concerned about the rights and wrongs of allowing managers to talk to other clubs when under contract than Yogi publicly indicating that he was unhappy not to be allowed to speak to them.....only just having signed a new contract with us! He could, after all, have deflected the question by simply saying that he didn't speak to Utd - end of. As Kingsmills says, why go public with an issue of mistrust with your employer after just having signed a contract? If he doesn't trust the club, he should have just packed up and gone. I just can't work out if he's incredibly naive or highly manipulative....

Indeed, if he was that keen to talk to United, he could have just resigned and done so. That, however, would have been his risk. Whereas allowing him to speak to them was our risk.

Yogi spoke about a few things at a press conference attended by journo's from various papers yet no two papers have the same slant on the story. Its a free country with freedom of speech so the guy made a statement. If the media had quoted that statement in its entirety would there be the same comments being made I wonder.

Nor did he say he didn't trust the club. My take on listening to his words on news was that he felt the club didnt trust him to do the right thing.

12 minutes ago, Alex MacLeod said:

Yogi spoke about a few things at a press conference attended by journo's from various papers yet no two papers have the same slant on the story. Its a free country with freedom of speech so the guy made a statement. If the media had quoted that statement in its entirety would there be the same comments being made I wonder.

Nor did he say he didn't trust the club. My take on listening to his words on news was that he felt the club didnt trust him to do the right thing.

No matter what he said, or how it was reported, I would still be of the opinion that Thompson is a kn0b.

Edited by HawkeyeTheGnu
  • Agree 2

Totally unnecessary to come out and say these things now to the press when it will only go one way with the fans, if he has something to say to the chairman then he should go to his office and say it. One minute we are all delighted he has signed on and the next minute he has opened his big mouth again and I am not so delighted.

Edited by LundavraJag
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, LundavraJag said:

Totally unnecessary to come out and say these things now to the press when it will only go one way with the fans, if he has something to say to the chairman then he should go to his office and say it. One minute we are all delighted he has signed on and the next minute he has opened his big mouth again and I am not so delighted.

Surely like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, interpretation is in the eyes and ears of the critic. 

To me there still is too much distrust and disloyalty to Yogi shown by many on here, He is doing a great job for us and is confident of progressing this Club,

Perhaps some of the reported mistrust and disloyalty stems from how he is viewed by many of the ''Supporters'' of the Club. These same ''Supporters'' only to hail laud and praise him when things are going well but too quick to find fault given any opportunity that arises. He is human after all and humans have always had their faults

Okay perhaps broadcasting his feelings to the press is not the best thing to do but frustration can lead to a variety of mishaps. I'm sure he would have vented all his feelings even more strongly in his contract negotiations.

All that really matters as far as we are concerned is that he does his job and takes the Club forward like he says he can,

Let's show some trust eh?-------------what  ever happened to  togetherNess -------------bring it back

what happened to the togetherNess 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

What I like about your approach, Bughtmaster, is the way in which you try to dwell on the positive about things and people rather the negative. That 's why you win friends and influence people.

Personally speaking, I am now becoming a little tired of all the back and forth negativity surrounding this transfer situation. J. H. is staying and he knows as well as anyone else at the club, or the fans, that his future and that of the club will no doubt be strongly affected by his performance and continuing enthusiasm and commitment.

This is nothing more then a blip in the road and surely we should all now settle down and get on with it. If necessary we have to put up with  the occasional outburst/perceived faux-pas so long as we know deep down that it comes from his basic integrity and hopes for success.

As mentioned above he is human and that's just  his way of emoting. If we don't like it then what are we going to do --suck it up or fire him?..... Doh!

If he had gone to United I think he would not have had his worries to seek and it could have deeply negatively affected his future career imho.

• Agree 2

I'm not shy in stating I'm a big fan of Hughes, he's worked wonders with what is at his disposal and I hope he stays for many years to come. I understand his frustrations in not being allowed to even be offered the opportunity to talk to United, and I've always said I admire his honesty and how forthcoming he is.... however on this occasion after you've just put pen to paper on a new deal I think it's a bit disrespectful to have come out and said the things he's said. Sometimes it's better to just bite your tongue.

Anyways, it's said now so let's bury it and get on with climbing the table and getting the rest of the lads signed up.

• Agree 1

He didn't actually come out and say the things he said. He was asked the question, a question I didn't think the press needed to ask, during his press conference on new deal and he answered in his usual honest way. I'm quite sure he would have made his thoughts known to Kenny long before this week.

As indicated in previous post its last weeks news and now its time to move on and push on.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Alex MacLeod said:

He didn't actually come out and say the things he said. He was asked the question, a question I didn't think the press needed to ask, during his press conference on new deal and he answered in his usual honest way. I'm quite sure he would have made his thoughts known to Kenny long before this week.

As indicated in previous post its last weeks news and now its time to move on and push on.

I agree to a certain extent but he ought to have had the wit to anticipate and deflect the question.

He also hinted on Radio Scotland that he'd have preferred a 3-year-deal - it sounds like there's been/is some 'tension' behind the scenes - the 'deal' that's been agreed is
clearly a compromise, and will certainly have various caveats and get-out clauses.