Yogi's Contract

Pele_Is_God

Is this one of those petty battle of wills that businessmen often engage in, whereby they refuse to be the one who initiates contact for fear of appearing lower status than / beholden to - the other party? Sounds like both sides are playing hardball and waiting for the other to pick up the phone. Very poor craic! Everyone should sit down with a bottle of single malt and get this deal done ASAP.

• Agree 1

Quite incredible that several weeks after the approach from Dundee United we (allegedly) still haven't offered our manager a new deal.

Yogi has said himself that there's been an offer on the table from the club for a while now.

In which case Yogi should be telling his agent to get in touch with the Chairman and have that talk.  The whole situation is farcical.  If the Board want the manager to stay and if the manager wants to stay then both should be keen to talk ASAP.  The fact that they are not talking and that it is being dragged into the media would suggest that there are some significant tensions behind the scenes.  There is a need to sort this out soon before the club becomes a laughing stock.

• Agree 1

Just pure guesswork on my part here, but what if said offer was given to Yogi and his agent and it was rejected and then Kenny Cameron hasn't re-negotiated a newer offer - hence the lack of communication? 

• Agree 1

In some ways I slightly get agents for players as they are commodities bought and sold, plus they are young so could be exploited due to naivety, however are they needed for a manager? If regular man can negotiate their pay rises and employment then surely football managers can too. Yogi must know what he wants paid, who he wants in his backroom team - from a club stance its can we afford it, all an agent does is take commission and make everyone believe he is acting on the best interest of his client.

• Agree 3

Very recently in the media, I heard someone who was nearing the end of his ICT contract say that he was passing responsibility for sorting out a new contract to his agent. He said he liked Inverness and really wanted to stay ... it was Edward Ofere.

It seems fair to say that a contract has been offered to Yogi. If it hasn't been agreed or if Yogi thinks there is still something to be discussed, then surely the offer isn't viewed as good enough and Yogi is offloading responsibility to his agent in the media to appear the good guy (so to speak) to the fans/outside world. An agent, surely by definition, normally takes instruction from whoever he/she is agent for. 

Edited by cif73
Typo

Agents are frequently used so that two employees of the club, or who have a deeply vested interest in the club, choose to negotiate between themselves directly but don't have to risk a breakdown in relations as a result of holding strong opinions that they feel matter so much that they should not be changed. Pride and  a  lack of humility can often play a part in crushing the talks.

Then the Agent can try to find  common ground and maybe inject common sense by handling the negotiations and in so doing be seen as one who doesn't really have a personal vested interest but is only working towards a fair settlement.That in itself can be the downfall of these negotiations when an  agent is greedy and  sabotages the deal.

Probably only an arbitrator who does not have allegiance to either party can truly  be effective in this kind of situation since his fee is negotiated in advance. That is, of course, provided he/she can use his/her skills as a presenter of facts  and who can use diplomacy and common sense reasoning to convince the parties to settle halfway. Usually guys like that also do come with a reputation which adds to the belief that a fair deal can be agreed upon beforehand.

• 2 weeks later...

Hughes reiterated on Sportscene last night that negotiations are ongoing. My concern is that he said "hopefully, something will be sorted out in the next couple of weeks"....which I'm sure is what he said a couple of weeks ago! Needs to be resolved ASAP.

• Agree 1

I think it's a very poor situation for the club to be in and should have been resolved after the cup final. If no agreement is reached it means we have a lame duck manager who is going at the end of the season and players don't give their all for someone who will have no effect on their future. I would be in favour of paying up his contract and getting a new man in now, it's either that or flirt with the very real possibility of relegation. Players don't mean to down tools but they just ease off in training and in games, the edge isn't there. Perhaps the board want some commitment like moving his family up to Inverness,who knows, i'm never comfortable when a manager doesn't commit to the area and I appreciate few have but it suggests a temporary situation. The other issue which grates with me and was a habit of TB's was to refer to the club as though it were some third party and nothing to do with them eg Inverness or Caley thistle rather than "we" or "us" or "our".

JH has shown he can change the style of play what is in doubt is the scouting side of things which we will always need as we are a stepping stone for many players. Does anyone know if we still have an connection with Steve Marsella? who seemed to be an excellent judge of a player.

On 30/10/2015, 10:33:50, ThorburnGolf said:
On 30/10/2015, 11:58:33, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:
On 30/10/2015, 11:58:33, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:
On 05/11/2015, 07:12:36, ICTPAISLEY said:
On 05/11/2015, 07:12:36, ICTPAISLEY said:
On 07/11/2015, 14:55:59, sneckfan said:

Did anyone hear Yogi on radio scotland a couple of minutes ago? They asked him about his contract and he said his contract could only be sorted if the club and his agent actually spoke to each other.

Most likely he won't sign up again but if what we've been told is true then Foran will be taking over. A plan should now be put in place to make sure he is prepared and we should be trying to tie up all the loose contracts asap. 

Perhaps we need leaders off the park. Again my concern is that the loss of Yogi will affect the players and that we could probably only attract a younger, upcoming type of manager - probably more suited to the lower leagues.

Perhaps we need leaders off the park. Again my concern is that the loss of Yogi will affect the players and that we could probably only attract a younger, upcoming type of manager - probably more suited to the lower leagues.

I think people are reading far too much into this article...

Budgets - Clearly KC not giving him an answer on whether he is going to have anything from the Christie sale to spend, he's clearly looking for clarity, which KC won't be able to give until he really looks at what can be made available.

"It's just before you sign that contract just getting to know exactly what tools you're working with next year. I don't want to sign a contract and something gets taken away"

To me he is ready to sign, he just wants to know what he is working with.

Players - As with any manager you admire and you are getting playing time under, you want to see them stay, and if they don't of course that is going to impact your future and decision on whether to stay.

Family - To me this is a statement to say to KC, offer me long term and I'll maybe move my family up here. look at the positive side of that rather than thinking he wants away and is using that as an excuse.

Sticky Patch - Of course he feels he has no control, look at the injuries, he says it himself. Confidence is a huge factor and as he says if they get on a wee run it all comes back, it is kind of out of his hands and up the players to really start believing in themselves, Hughes can try motivate, but ultimately its down to the players to perform and get that belief back.

:clapoverhead::clapoverhead:

19 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Two grown men should not require an agent and as Alex Jones said earlier they should sort it out over a dram, failing that some meths.

I smell a rat and there,s probably something fishy going on too

If the offer has been made some time ago it is obviously not acceptable to our best ever manager. Maybe we are penny pinching as usual so maybe the fans should prepare for him going. The longer this continues the less respect/trust the parties will have for each other so let's call it a day, one way or the other.

1 hour ago, caleyboy said:

:clapoverhead::clapoverhead:

If the offer has been made some time ago it is obviously not acceptable to our best ever manager. Maybe we are penny pinching as usual so maybe the fans should prepare for him going. The longer this continues the less respect/trust the parties will have for each other so let's call it a day, one way or the other.

It is a matter of opinion but while Yogi is our most successful manager given last season, In my view, there are at least a couple of candidates ahead of him for the title best ever..

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

It is a matter of opinion but while Yogi is our most successful manager given last season, In my view, there are at least a couple of candidates ahead of him for the title best ever..

I  can only think of one !

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

If you define "success" or "best" as a percentage of games won, then Patterson, Robertson and Butcher are all ahead of Hughes.

But all managed in a lower division. Hughes has/had us playing better football than any other era IMO, such a novelty to see us dominating games with possession based football. 

I'd love to see him sign up for another couple of seasons. We need to realise this is very much a transition period, and if we manage a top 6 finish this season, which I'm still hopeful for if we manage to get our injury problems sorted, then that's an excellent achievement under the circumstances. If not, then I'd be confident that Hughes can build a squad capable of challenging for trophies and a top 4 spot in the next couple of seasons, if given the backing!

• Agree 1

A lot of people get knickers in a twist and second guess or invent reasons why contracts have not been settled. Here's another possibility. Hughes is happy with renumeration and length of offer but needs to know who he can keep and who he can sign from outside. Club cant really make a decision on that till after AGM when accounts are approved, hence the next two weeks statement, so dont actually know what finances they have available. Yes there was a profit made but costings need to be worked out and budgets approved for the next spell.

15 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

That sounds like he's fairly set on staying. 

Positive news and maintains continuity at the club where he can continue his plan for building and movng forwards, wont be long until he is one of the longest serving managers in the league such is the nature of football, not often managers get 2 seasons far less 2 contracts lol. Although I'm sure there will still be a number on here finding negatives in JH staying, or the board conduct with contracts, or Yogis accent or whatever they can criticise.

Just had a look. He's 4th longest serving manager in the Premiership and 9th in the whole 42-club Scottish League!
It's probably an indictment of trigger-happy chairman that he's in such a position after less than 2 years in the job...