IF we needed a new manager.....

TtotheOtotheM

Who would we go for after hughes? We would be a pretty attractive proposition for any aspiring manager id say.

I would personally like to see Richie step up, might be a bit too soon for him but why not eh?

• Disagree 1

Who is that renegade?

It's Marcelo Bielsa, former boss of Chile and Argentina.

Indeed it is, who also managed Athletic to the Europa League Final a few years back.  The god to football hipsters, he's seemingly a complete recluse and one of the only managers on Earth to have his own 'signature' formation - the 3-3-1-3!

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Dick Advocaat lol

If we need a new manager then I'm sure the board will look at options as they have done in the past and pick the right man, given we don't like paying release fees and we are all about young managers getting opportunities or reviving careers, then someone like Graham Alexander as he is recently a free agent. Names like Kenny Shields, Terry Butcher, even Ally McCoist will end up doing the rounds in the press - none of whom are particulaly inspiring.

I sincerely hope all this speculation about Hughes going turns out to be unfounded.

However, in the worst case, if he were to go, I'd be very nervous about Foran getting the job with absolutely no experience.

Also, I'm not a fan of former managers coming back, so 'no' from me for Terry.

Of the names mentioned on this thread so far (which we could perhaps afford), the only ones I would consider are Latapy ( I know he'd be 'coming back', but as boss instead of second string),  or Alexander.

However, time will tell.

• Agree 2

For as long as John Hughes is in post, this is an incredibly pointless and counterproductive thread.

Except this is a football forum where fans come to speculate on their favourite teams affairs.

Or should we just stay as silent as the club does

Jeez :blink:

• Agree 7
  • Disagree 1

If he was serious about being a manager why hasn't he been in the dugout during his injury spell? You would also expect him to have done his coaching certificates already. He's had virtually a year off. If he hasn't used that time productively, that should rule him out of the running straight off the bat.

Any thread is valuable since it keeps us all on our toes and me from falling asleep.

Also, everybody surely has the right to his/her opinion and the right to express it.

Like--one man's meat is another man's poison. Some are passionate and Charlie is frequently controversial  so he must be relishing the exchanges.

Frank Kelly speaking, me?  Tbh, I am quite enjoying it and I think JH will stay at Tulloch with a bit of a raise. I do not think the Board  will give in to any kind of threat and  will decide what is right for the club. But not necessarily based on the ambitions of a good man  thinking mostly about his own future.

And all this it may have drawn the chairman out into the open so that he keeps us all updated. :ictscarf:

I'm starting to grow a bit nervous about the prospect of Foran taking over as manager.  Now, there's no doubt he's been a great player for this club and he's a well-known leader but does that necessarily mean he should promoted?  I'm not so sure.  Leadership is a great quality, but it isn't the be-all and end-all of management.  Terry Butcher was a great leader but on the whole, his management record is rubbish.  The same can be said for Tony Adams and Roy Keane.  On top of that, what contacts does Foran have? Is it a good idea to promote a player to a manager?  It's not always a good idea to have someone going from being 'one of the lads' to being in-charge in any job.  

Now that's not to say I'm writing him off as a manager.  Surely though a better way of doing it would be taking over a lower league side and working his way up, similar to Paul Hartley.  Many comparisons will be made to Martin Canning and particularly Alex Neil, but they've both been promoted from the reserve side, as well as being at a club with a very different ethos.  How many games has Foran been a 'manager' at any level?  Not many anyway.  Perhaps a better comparison would be Franck Sauzee at Hibs and we know how that turned out.

Again, I'm not saying Foran will be a bad manager for the club (should he get it) but the deeper I look into the prospect, the more I'm becoming unsure that this hypothetical but very possible scenario is truly a wise move.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 4