IF we needed a new manager.....

TtotheOtotheM

Why has nobody mentioned Jackie McNamarra? He had a win ratio of 43% at Dundee Utd which makes it even more astonishing that he got sacked! That ratio is better than Yogi has now or what Butcher had.

Sure, since January Utd have been woeful but then again they got rid of their best players and never invested properly in replacing them. Thomson is really at fault for Uniteds recent demise, not Jackie!

Edit. Forgot to mention, whoever a possible new manager would be (Jackie, McCall) i would make them boss with Richie as Assistant. I also agree and fear that Richie is  inexperienced in a managing/coaching role. This appointment would give him the necessary experience needed. I do however hope to see Richie as manager one day as i think he has it in him to be a succesful coach, but just now would be to soon for him imho

Edited by ForzaCaley

Why has nobody mentioned Jackie McNamarra? He had a win ratio of 43% at Dundee Utd which makes it even more astonishing that he got sacked! That ratio is better than Yogi has now or what Butcher had.

Sure, since January Utd have been woeful but then again they got rid of their best players and never invested properly in replacing them. Thomson is really at fault for Uniteds recent demise, not Jackie!

Edit. Forgot to mention, whoever a possible new manager would be (Jackie, McCall) i would make them boss with Richie as Assistant. I also agree and fear that Richie is  inexperienced in a managing/coaching role. This appointment would give him the necessary experience needed. I do however hope to see Richie as manager one day as i think he has it in him to be a succesful coach, but just now would be to soon for him imho

I mentioned Jackie, just like last time though there isn't that many attractive names going around. McCall would be another good shout if Hughes was to leave. 

Or for fun could we just get pele back in.

• Agree 1

I've seen a few people mention Stuart McCall as a potential successor but like Richie Foran, I'm not so sure.  Now there's no doubt that he did an excellent job as manager of Motherwell on the whole and the Rangers gig was always going to be a hiding to nothing.  He seems a nice man and granted he does seem to have a transfer policy not unlike what Butcher did here.  My concern though is his general style of football.  Caley Thistle have always been at their best when they're an attacking side.  All our best managers, whether it be Paterson, Robertson, Butcher or Hughes, had their success at this club when they played passing-based attacking football.  It's also a style of football that suits the players we have at our disposal at this moment in time.  Does McCall play that way?

I don't particularly remember McCall's Motherwell being a particularly long ball side, but he could be very conservative tactically.  I remember coming out of Fir Park after a game against us a couple of seasons back (I think it might have been the game after our defeat in the League Cup Final) and I overheard two 'Well fans behind me complaining that McCall's tactics.  Seemingly if they're ahead after half an hour, he parks the bus for the rest of the game.  Does that really sound like the football we want to see?  Would it suit us?  Whenever we take that philosophy, it often seems to backfire.  That's not to say McCall would be a bad choice.  He'd certainly be better than some of the names that would inevitably come up and he'd have my full support if he was appointed, but would he bring out the full potential of the team he'd inherit?  I'm not so sure.

Edited by Renegade

My preferred option would be a team of Stuart McCall and Kenny Black. The job that he done at Rangers convinces me that he would be our safest and financially viable option should Yogi leave for Dundee United. Rangers were absolutely garbage under Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowell. Stuart McCall got that team from struggling to featuring in the play off final (granted with a lot of help from Haris Vuckic)

The football hipster in me would like to see us take a gamble and go for an appointment completely outside of the box like Celtic did with Ronny Deila.  

Stuart McColl would be my first choice, good experience, did a great job at Motherwell, improved Rangers and is Scotland assistant manager, so he certainly more than qualifies. I also think he would be able to attract players to the club, something which Hughes appears to have struggled with. 

Definitely wouldn't want Foran as manager, far too early for him. Other than that, wouldn't be too dissapointed with Jackie McNamara. In terms of Butcher, I never think it's a good idea for a manager to come back for a second spell at a club, as I don't think he would have the same hunger for the job.

It will be a great shame if we lose Yogi, especially considering he hasn't been at the club that long. He's improved the team, no doubt about it. He hasn't, however, built the team. At United, he won't be joining a squad that is currently successful or with players as technically gifted as ours, so implementing his style of play may be more difficult, and he may find himself joining the list of managers to get the sack post-ICT

• Agree 1

Foran would be an unknown quantity as a manager.

He has taken us for a ride and a considerable pay packet over the last 2 years. His contribution to ICT has not been obvious and if he is supposed to be a leader it is not clear just what he has led. I suppose that is the downside of signing an aging but enthusiastic player.

I am not sure that his style of punt it, run and muscle in fits in with the passing game we now play.

Is it time to release him?

• Disagree 3

Foran would be an unknown quantity as a manager.

He has taken us for a ride and a considerable pay packet over the last 2 years. His contribution to ICT has not been obvious and if he is supposed to be a leader it is not clear just what he has led. I suppose that is the downside of signing an aging but enthusiastic player.

I am not sure that his style of punt it, run and muscle in fits in with the passing game we now play.

Is it time to release him?

I think it would be a bit harsh to make him unemployed when, in my opinion, he fully deserved his contract at the time and it is not his fault he was injured when he was in excellent form, don't forget he wasn't playing the Miles Storey role either but in midfield. He may still believe he has plenty to offer the team and maybe an alternative route would be for him to sign on as a player-coach.

Edited by LundavraJag
  • Agree 1

Foran = Cheap option + ICT Board = Another no-brainer :amazed:

That comes across a bit negative. We appointed Charlie Christie who was internal, Hughes and Robertson were both unemployed so essentially 'cheap' option there too.

Just because our board work within the means of the club and aren't prepared to gamble £100k's on paying off other clubs to take a gamble on a manager when there are free or unemployed options who carry the same risk without the costs this doesnt warrent the negative or criticism that is always lodged. Lets face it other than Brewster has any appointment actually been wholey negative for the club, failed to stabilise, move forwards in some way or keep us consistent with the level we were at - havent seen us employ some clueless manager who decimated the club and drove us down the divisions!!!

Edited by bdu98196

Would be nice to see us have a manager who was treated properly in regard to contracts and given a bit of leeway. Hughes and Robertson were not on the payroll !!  Of course they didn't give away the £100K - that would be gross stupidity. So why do you think that Yogi was tempted in the first place - and forget the money and geography.

The club gave Mr J H.ughes Yogi) a chance to rehabilitate a career in a downward dog (Yoga) position. However, in fairness,  as the parents of Ernie frae Wigan once intoned...."oooh didn't he do well.? So all's fair that ends well so to speak.

Yogi stuck to his guns when he encountered resistance as to his methods and that showed belief in his own precepts and his individualistic spirit, so all praise to him for that. The club also reaped the benefits of his single minded, dogged approach to training and inspiring of the team and therefore so finger pointing in either direction is a complete waste of time.

Let's get on with it and all parties can work together for the good of the club. Which, ultimately is the only positive way forward for Mr Hughes and his future career. Another 3rd place finish and another  Scottish cup win will have  managers all over Britain knocking on ICT's door and Johnny the One will have no need to worry about his future career.

IMHO.:ictscarf::notworthy:

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Lomas?

Craig Levein?!  Steve Lomas?!  Ally McCoist?!

A few puffs of what you're on please!

He's entitled to his opinion like anybody else......

As am I.  Those suggestions are awful!

(Levein included, as the chances of him being appointed any time soon are zero!)

Edited by Renegade

Steve Lomas?

Craig Levein?!  Steve Lomas?!  Ally McCoist?!

A few puffs of what you're on please!

He's entitled to his opinion like anybody else......

As am I.  Those suggestions are awful!

(Levein included, as the chances of him being appointed any time soon are zero!)

He is still the puppet master at Hearts!