AUDIO
TEXT
VIDEO
TEAM LINEUPS
TO FOLLOW

Tweets by @ICTFC
Edited by Scotty

• Scotty featured this topic

We have a long way to go to get back to our best. Let's hope it was just an off day. I also thought we had moved on far enough to be able to beat a struggling Kilmarnock. Obviously not, plenty of hard work to do but plenty of time left to do it.

Wonder if unsettled managers has a bearing ... With St J losing as well.

Too early to conclude, but it's an interesting suggestion.  Remember how we rejoiced when Terry turned down Barnsley.....then we went on a really poor run.

I blame the international break............:sad:

I think it was the same last year we had good results before the international breaks then had bad results, was hoping for a good result today before our 3 home games.

We were beaten at 4:45 yesterday and that's when the defeat ended so we now move on to next Saturday.

I watched the highlights, we played well and were unlucky not to take something from the game.

We've now got the defeat after the possible manager move out the way so today's a new day.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

We started well enough, but we seem to be back where we were when Hughes started, in that once we go behind we look unlikely to come back. 

Devine should have scored with an early header, and Christie brought out a good save from MacDonald, but other than that I can't remember many other clear cut chances. Our defence struggled against Magennis. It was disappointing to be out thought by Gary Locke, and depressing that they were able to bring Boyd on - I assume they had run out of pies by then. 

And where on earth did they find that ref? Clueless doesn't even begin to describe him. 

We played some decent enough stuff in the first half without really looking threatening, and the Killie goal felt a bit like us being punished for not creating clear enough chances. The second half was as bad as I've seen us all season though: far too narrow, far too many misplaced passes, far too many lazy-looking through balls that seemed to suggest players thinking 'we'll just give it to Miles and he'll do the rest'. I felt sorry for Storey - he ran his socks off, but the Killie defence stuck close to him and dealt with him pretty effectively throughout. To be fair to Hughes, choosing to put on Mutombo and, eventually, Sutherland, did seem to hint that he wanted a bit more width in the team, but it seemed little strange to take off Raven rather than keeping him on to play behind Sutherland and taking off one of the four central midfielders that we ended the game with. None of Tansey, Christie, Polworth or Vigurs played particularly badly, but that area just looked crowded and messy. Mutombo, incidentally, still isn't doing it for me - as noted in the Dundee game, he has a decent enough skill level, but doesn't seem to look at what his team-mates are doing or know when to release the ball. One passage of play, where he skinned a couple of defenders and got to the edge of the box, then released a comically weak shot when he had far better passing options available, summed him up. Hopefully when Roberts, Doran and Sho-Silva come back from injury, we will be able to change up the system to something more direct when required; obviously yesterday was just one bad result after a very decent run, but we were crying out for a Watkins-type figure in the second half.

Decent away support for our longest league journey, and as usual it was a good laugh with the #caleyaway regulars, but I'm suffering for it today, and it would have been nice to have a decent performance to look back on to ease the pain.

• Agree 1

Will post my report later BUT too much tippy-tappy early doors, Draper should have been hooked long before the first goal, too reliant on the pace of Storey who got zero support, too many off days, late and baffling substitutions, great Jamie McDonald chant :lol: 

Johndo made a hash of adding his report, instead of posting it, he reported it and it was removed :laugh: But here it is in it's entirety, warts and all.(tm4tj)

Well that was my first game since Bucharest and Kilmarnock aint Bucharest BUT that was just as disappointing a display and a result - at least I survived it !!  Great company as ever from Central Station and watched Tottingham with Jim the <my racist comment> in the pub before the game (not as enjoyable an experience in comparison to Rotterdam 1974) :ohmy:. Anyway things were looking good to start with - got in fer £15.00 at the over 60 gate - even though it must be obvious that I am in ma mid 40's - good away support as ever.

We dominated the first 20 minutes but it was tippy-tappy stuff with NO penetration. Killie just sucked it all in with 8 players behind the ball. We did look dangerous when we fired in crosses and Devine, Draper and Meekings - in rank of probability - could have put us ahead. But we got the "sucker punch" - Draper should have been hooked on the half hour and why Yogi left him to hobble through the last 15 escapes me. Into injury time we give the ball away needlessly and pay fer it - Thought Yon Williams was slow down as well.

Christie came close to an equaliser in the second half BUT in a TOTALLY forgettable second half we let Roy of the Rovers (or Hamish McSporran) to add to their tally. Storey and Mutombu could have brought us back into the game but they both fluffed their efforts. Killie had 5 shots and we had 3 across the 90 minutes - enuff said !! Taking Williams off fer Motumbu was baffling - leaving Sutherland to the last 10 equally so.

Were we affected with the Arabs and Yogi nonsense only time will tell.

DAVID WALLIAMS (3/5) - Does not inspire ME though

DAVID RAVEN (2/5) - Shockingly poor game. His attempt to chase a great through ball in the second half reminded me of a similar Marius Niculae effort at Motherwell. Please tell me he was unfit and then why was he played ?

DANNY DYER (3/5) - Looked solid but appeared to suffer as Josh had an off day

JOSH MEEKINGS (2/5) - Not shure why but very, very hesitant - Missing Warren ?

CARL TREMARCO (1/5) - Perhaps should play fer Tain.

WEE WILLIAMS (2/5) - Not exactly shure where he was played. Lets just give him more time at left back PLEASE.

CHARLIE CHRISTIES' SON  (3/5) - Worked his feckin socks off and always looked/looks like the most likely.

ROSS DRAPER (1/5) - Usually love the big man but he should have put his hands up and walked after the half hour when he was clearly injured and letting the team dowm - And Yogi should have hooked him too.

GREG TANSEY (2/5) - Some great touches and passes too but where is he playing and why does he fade out of games ?

LIAM POLWORTH (2/5) - Where exactly was he supposed to be playing ??

MILES STOREY (3/5) - Well the feckin Never Ending Story was the never ending punts to rely on his pace. He did OK but rarely had any support.

As fer the subs VIGURS was my MOM - just in front of Christie - He is the one CLASS player that we have if not the most reliable. But that could mean either dropping Tansey or changing his role ?!!  Mutombo is Lionel in disguise. Sutherland actually looks like the far better match fer Storey

• Disagree 1

Quite surprised at the number of posters who think we should just 'move on' and forget about the result. That wasn't a great performance at all and there's a lot of work to be done ahead of our next couple of homes games which are winnable but are still against teams who will be pretty tough to defeat.

We were decent enough in the first half although our only real chances came from set pieces we struggled to create anything of note from open play. Perhaps the best chance was Christie's long range effort in the second half which had MacDonald scrambling. Storey, as AM says, seemed to be asked to create something from nothing. You could see he was getting frustrated with a lack of support. No idea why Draper stayed on whilst injured. Maybe Hughes asked him to, maybe Draper himself wanted to stay on but when you see the first goal we conceded a fully fit Draper (or indeed any other player) would have been all over Kiltie and I don't think he would have gotten that shot away. That wasn't smart from us.

Later on when the come was getting increasingly congested in the middle of the pitch we strangely took off Williams who was playing quite well and at least gave us some kind of width to our play as an alternative to trying to force it through the middle of the pitch where Christie was struggling to impose himself and Storey was getting no change out of the excellent Killie centre backs. It seemed a very odd decision.

Unlucky for Devine I think for the second goal. No way was that Magennis shot going in without the deflection of Devine's leg. Just a bit unfortunate but overall we didn't deserve anything from that game. Too few chances created and, more importantly, we didn't take them whilst Killie did. Overall a very subdued and somewhat lethargic performance compared to recent weeks.

What happened to Vincent? I didn't see any news about him being injured. And were are players like Sho Silva?

• Agree 1

I think with Draper it was a question of getting him through to half time and then seeing how he was. Wasn't a bad idea against a side that had created next to nothing against us up to that point and we have been shown to be vulnerable when Drapes isn't there.  Williams also felt the effects of that collision with Draper, so no real choice with that sub either. Raven by all accounts was feeling a knock so all of the substitutions were enforced. I'm also not sure that our players wanted to chase that game 100% on a surface that most of them don't like and on a week where I'm sure that most of them would have welcomed the managerial speculation like toothache. I also think that the surface limited the amount of potential returnees that would be risked - especially from any kind of ligament strain etc. where there is a belief that the plastic pitch would just make it worse. Seeing what happened to Dundee's unpronounceable Basque defender at Hamilton kind of reinforces that. Maybe it is one to just consign to the bin - bad day, bad pitch, bad luck and a defeat after a few good results. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Draper ran the show up until he got injured. If we hooked Williams and Raven for injury protection on the surface then we should have done the same with Draper. I take it that was the reason that Vincent was not risked. So much fer our plans of constructing our own plastic pitch !! A bad day at the office it was - bad pitch, bad luck not so shure - bad tactics - no width, some players looking unsure of their roles - my biggest worry is Tansey as even a crippled Draper was looking for the ball and in possession of the ball more than Greg.

I think with Draper it was a question of getting him through to half time and then seeing how he was. Wasn't a bad idea against a side that had created next to nothing against us up to that point and we have been shown to be vulnerable when Drapes isn't there.  Williams also felt the effects of that collision with Draper, so no real choice with that sub either. Raven by all accounts was feeling a knock so all of the substitutions were enforced. I'm also not sure that our players wanted to chase that game 100% on a surface that most of them don't like and on a week where I'm sure that most of them would have welcomed the managerial speculation like toothache. I also think that the surface limited the amount of potential returnees that would be risked - especially from any kind of ligament strain etc. where there is a belief that the plastic pitch would just make it worse. Seeing what happened to Dundee's unpronounceable Basque defender at Hamilton kind of reinforces that. Maybe it is one to just consign to the bin - bad day, bad pitch, bad luck and a defeat after a few good results. 

You can't support keeping Draper on the pitch when he was clearly injured and risked things getting worse then say we were right not to risk other players on that surface as it might have done them harm. I'm with IHE on this one. That's completely hypocritical. 

Oh Jesus, now the pitch is to blame.  That'll be the same pitch that many of our fans raved about last season with some claiming how much more it helped our style of football.  No surprise that was after we won on it and ICT themselves had looked at it as one similar to what they (at the time) had seemingly wanted to install at the Caley Stadium.  Now we lose on it and all of a sudden, it's terrible.  Dear oh dear.  What next?  The players were put off by the mismatched kits?!

When Draper needed to come off, we lost the bite in midfield, no doubt about that.  While I supported the signing of Vigurs and feel he's a good player, he wasn't the man we needed in midfield in the second half.  I honestly think we'd have been better off putting Wedderburn on.  At least he'd have been able to maintain the presence in there we normally get with Draper.

Think the time has come to ask questions of Mutombo.  He's simply a showboater.  All these fancy tricks he tries to pull off are all well and good, but only if he knew how to take the ball with him.  That incident as well, where he could of crossed for players waiting in the box after the short corner, but instead tried himself, letting fly with one of the tamest shots you'll see all season, was pathetic.  Clearly fancies himself as Cristiano Ronaldo.  In reality he's more of a Tarmo Kink.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 4

• tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • Scotty unfeatured this topic