Scotty

May as well finish where I started - 5 subs on the bench in a Cup Quarter Final - embarrassing. How much did we save ?

Absolute shambles.....like you said on a previous post this lot running the club at present are making the Heathmount crew look like professionals

Edited by gordieict

No excuses. County were the better team by a mile which most people could have predicted after we won at theirs. What a howling team we are at home. Maybe they could have won it without booting Christie mind (or pulling the shirt off his back).

Amazing to think that we were still in with a chance of extra-time until the end there. That was an absolutely gutless performance, particularly for a cup quarter final.  It was a lethargic, insipid and lifeless display, and as harsh as it sounds that comes from the manager. We may have a lengthy injury list but the reality is that only 3-4 players on it will improve the team. 

We actually started the game OK,  a decent run and lovely through ball from Polworth put Storey in on goal but a woeful 1st touch saw the ball get caught under his feet and the finish lacked conviction. After this, we seemed to retreat into our shell and County began to look much the more dangerous. Our tactics seemed to consist of Meekings to Devine, back to Meekings, back to Devine, get closed down, back Fon Williams and hoooof. It was playing by the numbers and you could sense the restlessness from the stands. 

It was no surprise that yet another rash tackle from Tremarco ultimately led to the corner from which County scored. Something we've seen far too often.   I was waiting for a reaction to this at the start of the 2nd half but it got worse. God knows what was said at the break but the players came out half asleep- County should have scored more than just the one in this period of dominance, which was rounded off by some comedy goalkeeping from Fon Williams that went unpunished.  Around the 60 min mark we made a change with Williams for Vigurs, and although it didn't make an immediate difference the width supplied did at least start to get us up the pitch. We were far too narrow for the 1st 70minutes that it was easy for County to stop us getting out.  

The additional space started to allow Christie to get on the ball and he almost created and finished a great move that saw him hit the post.  As an aside, County were clearly targeting him and I counted 7 fouls by 5 players against him.   Tansey's screamer from 25 yards looked to have given us hope but to be fair County saw it out comfortably.

Although the last 15mins were better County had done enough by that stage. I certainly wouldn't read anything into it. They had their 2 goals and had done the hard work, we didn't even force their keeper into a single save after getting it back to 2-1.  Make no bones about it, we need a massive improvement over the next few weeks as the likes of Partick etc certainly have. Recent performances along with our managers refusal (yes, that's what it is) to sign a new contract don't fill me with confidence. We keep saying it will turn around but it needs to start happening soon If we're to think about the top 6 again. 

Edited by Hiro

Thats the last 3 games I have seen us now look so lacklustre and poor, now I know this season was never going to compare to last however the fact is we finished 3rd, won the scottish cup, were in europe and still have been unable to attract any players who look up to scratch. (excluding Fon Williams) this is completely ridiculous, the board have to get a grip. Devine and Tremarco are completely out of their depth and there doesn't seem to be a plan B. 

Its easy to say its a knee jerk reaction after a tough defeat and that we have a lot of injuries, but this season is worrying me nonetheless.

One positive is young Polworth who seems to be growing in confidence and put in another decent shift tonight.

There is something wrong inside the club at the moment and it is clearly manifesting itself on the park. We are so very predictable with a continuous stream of sideways and back passing. Hugely disappointed with tonights efforts, County bullied us and we just rolled over. Saturday against Dundee is a must win or we will be in freefall all the way to League 1.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

• Scotty unpinned and unfeatured this topic