Scotty

Just a terrible performance. Vincent and Tremarco were shocking, why we never tried to sign a left back in the summer amazes me. Why not play young Sutherland on saturday in place of Vincent, at least Sutherland looks like he can pass and control the ball, unlike Vincent tonight. Devine is not good enough, the sooner Warren is back the better. Such a dissapointing performance, dundee on saturday is such a big game now, really need a win to lift everyone at the club.

Get off my back Renegade, you were warned on another thread that I am allowed an opinion!!!!!!!!!!

You have picked on me ever since I became a member!!

I will give you one reason why that is MY OPINION!

Ever since KC rejected Steven Thompson's approach our form has been ABYSMAL so I reckon his heart isn't in it anymore, it is in stark contrast to St JJ, as soon as they refused ST permission to speak to Tommy Wright, he was offered a new deal and very quickly signed it and ever since, bar Partick last weekend, their form has picked up.

Tonight illustrated one thing, we have no pace in the vital areas. So one paced it was unreal. When was last season we had zero pace in key areas?

i feel sorry for Devine and Meekings as appeared they had nothing to hit. Vincent and Vigurs were anonymous and Storey had no support.

undoubtedly we have a major injury crisis, but Doran apart, can't see anyone improving us in the final third 

How we were in this game with 30 to go was a mystery, poor all round

The lack of urgency tonight was just not good enough. Time after time, we shot ourselves in the foot at the back: County were rubbing their hands every time we had possession. Finally, once the game was all but gone, we actually started to get in behind and, with a bit of luck could have taken it to extra time (probably undeserved). Vincent up front doesn't work and Vigurs was poor (Williams made a difference). Who was marking Irvine? Sooooooo poor!

We NEED to be more direct on Saturday or we'll be lucky to get 0-0.

Tonight we pretty much carried on where we'd left off against Saints. We had no width, no runners, no overloads, no space and low energy. Our game consisted of easy, negative passes around our own half and we were extremely slow to adapt when County's pressing kept resulting in turnovers of possession in dangerous areas. In fact we only adapted when we were 2-0 down. At that point the rigid, negative, predictable, unproductive tactics went out the window and the players started to play with much more freedom, resulting in more attacking moves and chances than we'd created in the previous 4 hours of football.

With Aberdeen and Sevco already out, and either Hearts or Celtic to follow, this was a golden opportunity to reach another final. What a waste.

Hopefully lessons learned tonight. Vigurs and Tansey sit far too deep in possession and need to push up the park when we have the ball. Neither one of them is defensively good enough to play the Draper role. Our back 4 were exposed again and again. Our midfield is unbalanced when both of them play. This was our undoing (along with our negativity in possession) tonight. It was a carbon copy of the Hamilton game in this respect. County were winning too many 50-50s and second balls. 

Mahonio you change your mind more times than i have hot dinners. 

As for the game, we made them look better than they actually are to be honest. I believe if we had a full first choice team to play with, it would have been a lot closer as a game. However we didn't and has been the story so many times this season, we capitulated and had too many stragglers. 

but anyhow, its only the diddy cup and they haven't won anything yet! 

• Agree 1

Get off my back Renegade, you were warned on another thread that I am allowed an opinion!!!!!!!!!!

Ever since KC rejected Steven Thompson's approach our form has been ABYSMAL so I reckon his heart isn't in it anymore, it is in stark contrast to St JJ, as soon as they refused ST permission to speak to Tommy Wright, he was offered a new deal and very quickly signed it and ever since, bar Partick last weekend, their form has picked up.

Calm down buttercup.  When you became a member....is that your current username or the Mahonio one....or the Caley Shaun one on P&B?  By the way, I never said you were wrong, just that your post was very predictable.  It's been the same for years.  Butcher Out - I'm backing Butcher - Butcher Out - I'm backing Butcher - Yogi Out - I'm backing Yogi - Yogi Out!  You were wanting him to stay and claimed you were backing him 100% for the rest of the season, less than a fortnight ago.  And you've changed your mind.....again.  What a surprise...

http://caleythistleonline.com/topic/29927-yogis-contract/?page=9#comment-445812

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 3

Just back from the game and that was a brutal watch for 75 mins. Yogi said after Saturday that we lacked creativity up front, did we address that? - No. 

Yet again we pissed about with ball and done nothing with it. Tonight I noticed that we gifted county a lot of time and space with the ball and if County were more resilient, it would have been a cricket score. I thought our passing tonight was abysmal, the passing has been nowhere near as good since Latapy left the club. 

I understand that our injury list isn't great but IMO the team that was set out tonight was strong enough to win, if we are hiding behind the injury excuse then that's an embarrassment in itself. 

I'm not really arsed that we were put out of the cup,it's more the manner of our exit that gets me. Questions need to be asked of management IMO. 

Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 2

Renegade is as entitled to an opinion as anyone else and I also think he expressed it rather well, because somebody shouting "Hughes must go" after tonight's result was well in there alongside Death and Taxes. (Life's accepted certainties.) Maybe it's just that Shaun has Irish relatives who set the trend for him by equally vacuously calling for the departure of Ronny Deila last Thursday night.

What Shaun seems to be doing is creating a specious cause and effect relationship, where the link is merely conjectural.

Football - especially where a club has historically performed above the kind of level predicted by its budget - is a very up and down game and it does strike me that SOME fans (mainly the ones who seem to know how to run the boardroom better than the directors and the dressing room better than the manager) are really expecting too much.

It's not long since a six game unbeaten run, culminating in victories against the league leaders and the local rivals, was being shouted from the rooftops. Time for a reality check and a more supportive and positive approach which might actually help to make things better.

• Agree 3

Maybe it is that Shaun has a tendency to black and white, literal thinking. That and his propensity to impulsiveness are probably his faults. He is however entitled to his opinion and does not deserve the vitriol that so called more intelligent erseholes may find funny to deliver. His were undoubtedly warped and reactive posts but at least he refrained from petty personalised utterances. 

I really don't know why I bother coming on here, I post MY opinion and get criticised even by media experts like Charles!

I would be shocked if one day I came back here, posted something and got no criticism for dicks like Renegade and 2-3 others!!

We got off on the wrong foot before the game started. We turned out in our all white kit the same as County in the warm up. Telling them to change their strip 5 minutes before kick off must have got them fired up even more. We then spent most of the game giving the ball away and making them look better than they are. Even the Gardyne gnome got too much respect tonight and punished us with a goal.

We really have few options with so many injuries and I fear we will continue in free-fall unless we get more players in. Even County keep signing players out of contract to add to their already large squad. We still haven't signed an out and out striker or a left back to replace McKay and Shinnie. Until we do this and more I fear continued performances like we have seen in the last three games and the gates will drop off. I don't think we have ever seen things this bad in terms of a depleted squad and more pressure will be heaped on the remaining fit players. If we were to lose Christie, Storey and Meekings to injury then we will be in even deeper sh#t.

WTF - FIVE on the bench for a a Cup QF - embarrassingembarrassing

looking at the squad list ....

• Foran - injured (or unfit?)
  • Doran - injured
  • Warren - injured
  • Draper - injured
  • Ferguson -- not sure ? would have him on bench if fit
  • Brill - injured
  • Lopez - not sure ? would have him on bench if fit
  • Mutombo - injured
  • Sho-Silva - injured
  • Roberts - injured
  • the rest are all young lads who may or may not be registered (not sure how registration works for LC)

WHO else would you have on the bench ?

My concern for this season is that both manager and fans alike are placing a massive amount of emphasis on our injury crisis. Only 3 of those players will provide a genuine improvement. 

I'd say a few more than 3....if we had doran and Roberts available then we'd players that could actually play on the wing..mutumbo could come under that category as well! Plus with at least 2 of these players available we could have Williams at LB instead of tremarco! 

Warren at cb would be another change, draper in CM!

I still have worries about Fon Williams after tonight, not necessarily his saves but with the ball at his feet and even his distribution! 

Sho-silva would be another option up front or on the wing because, other than his dive, he could hold the ball up and run at defenders plus win Aries challenges! 

So really, minimum four of these players could have a huge lift on the team but really you want as many as possible so we have options to change...having all seven would very much increase our chances of a good season!

Thought the atmosphere last night was spot on considering the football we were offering on the pitch, wish it was like that every home game. We were rubbish again, I don't get why we persist with a game plan that was clearly not working for us and that the players were struggling to cope with. County were sitting quite high and knew exactly what we were going to do as we are that predictable yet still the back and forth crap between the keeper and our two cb's continued, they had the simple job of closing our defense down and we made the mistakes from there on. Can Yogi really be watching and thinking he is happy with how the game was progressing, that things were miraculously going to change on their own? County were better but we got ourselves into trouble most of the time and made it easy for them.  

Agree with the comments about Vigurs and Tansey playing together, Draper is by far the biggest miss for us at the moment. I think we had the players to win the game last night, the score did flatter us on the balance of play but our system of play flattered them as a team and made it easy. So so predictable yet again and painful to watch. 

Tremarco, Vincent, Fon Williams, Devine, Vigurs all had very poor games. In Devines case I don't think he is the type of player that copes well being constantly under pressure. Polworth, Christie and Storey I thought had decent games. 

• Agree 2

Disappointing result and performance last night. I confess, I didn't go to the game - am full of the cold - but watched it on TV.
It may be a cliché, but It was a 'good advert' for the Highland derby. It also sounded like a vibrant atmosphere, at times, despite a low crowd of 3,004...which, although not the smallest ever, was still fewer than any league game there's been between the sides at the TCS. (but I'm in no position to criticise that!)

Look forward to the next match-up, which is the New Year game (actually, 2nd January) in Inverness. That will be the 50th Highland derby!

Such are the vagaries of football that Hughes has won on all 4 of his ICT trips to Dingwall, but has yet to record a victory against County in 4 attempts in Inverness.
Caledonian Stadium record v County (all competitions) (W-D-L):
Butcher (5-0-1) 83%
Paterson (4-2-1) 71%
Robbo (2-1-1) 63%
Hughes (0-2-2) 25%

• Agree 3

• Scotty unpinned and unfeatured this topic