Scotty

Looking back at last nights poor performance, our poor squad depth is showing up like the midday sun, glaringly short of class.

Tremarco is very average and should not be first choice, Hughes is at fault for not buying a replacement for Shinnie, Raven is having a very poor run of form, he has been looking as bad as Tremarco( which is pretty dire) he needs dropped, but we dont have cover.

Devine is also looking very nervous and for his height is pretty **** in the air, distribution is also suspect - we dont have cover.

Polworth is a squad player at best and if other players were fit he would be lucky to see the bench, he got caught in posession and was forced into loose passes so often.

Vincent needs to stay in midfield, drop Polworth and play Danny Williams, Christie had to come to deep to get the ball - waste of talent.

Anyway, bring on the Dee. 

Not many positives to take out of the game but it was good to see Greg Tansey getting a goal - and a good one at that.  For me, Tansey is at his best when he comes forward in support of the attack playing a sort of Frank Lampard / Stevie Gerrard role.  Not only is he capable of scoring from outside the box, the presence of players making those sort of runs pulls defenders out to block and creates that little bit more space for the front men.  I don't understand why Tansey is played so deep and is only allowed the freedom to come up the park when we are chasing the game.

Liam Polworth is another player with a good shot on him and who should be encouraged to shoot.  Polworth was another of the positives on Tuesday.  Certainly he misplaced a few passes but he saw an awful lot of the ball and some errors were inevitable.  In general he looked as solid as I have seen him and played some pretty good balls, in particular a beautifully weighted ball that put Storey through and which should have resulted in a goal.

• Agree 1

Looking back at last nights poor performance, our poor squad depth is showing up like the midday sun, glaringly short of class.

Tremarco is very average and should not be first choice, Hughes is at fault for not buying a replacement for Shinnie, Raven is having a very poor run of form, he has been looking as bad as Tremarco( which is pretty dire) he needs dropped, but we dont have cover.

Devine is also looking very nervous and for his height is pretty **** in the air, distribution is also suspect - we dont have cover.

Polworth is a squad player at best and if other players were fit he would be lucky to see the bench, he got caught in posession and was forced into loose passes so often.

Vincent needs to stay in midfield, drop Polworth and play Danny Williams, Christie had to come to deep to get the ball - waste of talent.

I really don't think it's Yogi's fault in not signing players - his budget has been cut this year - even after our Scottish Cup win. The guy works under severe financial restrictions so I think he is doing what he can when he is allowed to do so. 

• Agree 1

Teams have cottoned on to Tremarco as a weakness and in the first half everything seemed to be coming down our left. Shame as he's really good going forward but defensively he's poor.

I thought Devine had come on a lot in the past year and even imagined he could fill Warren's boots, but this season how many times has he let us down with horrorshow defending like the penalties v Dundee and St Johnstone.

Anyway roll on Saturday as you say big man.

Teams have cottoned on to Tremarco as a weakness and in the first half everything seemed to be coming down our left. Shame as he's really good going forward but defensively he's poor.

I thought Devine had come on a lot in the past year and even imagined he could fill Warren's boots, but this season how many times has he let us down with horrorshow defending like the penalties v Dundee and St Johnstone.

Totally agree with Mantis.  Our defensive problems all stem from Shinnie's departure and Warren's injury.  Neither Tremarco nor Williams has really filled Shinnie's boots, and Devine is too inconsistent in the middle of the defence.  Get back soon Gary!

I also feel that Hughes has made some unwise decisions in some of the players he has brought in.  I always thought that the reason to bring in a new player was to strengthen the squad.  Can we honestly say that Wederburn, Roberts, Lopez, Silva meet that criterion?  

• Agree 1

Totally agree with Mantis.  Our defensive problems all stem from Shinnie's departure and Warren's injury.  Neither Tremarco nor Williams has really filled Shinnie's boots, and Devine is too inconsistent in the middle of the defence.  Get back soon Gary!

I also feel that Hughes has made some unwise decisions in some of the players he has brought in.  I always thought that the reason to bring in a new player was to strengthen the squad.  Can we honestly say that Wederburn, Roberts, Lopez, Silva meet that criterion?  

Not true.  Williams had some superb games at left-back earlier in the season.

Sorry I can not comment on previous games players or squads as I visited for the first time on Tuesday. After a reasonable start I was a little disappointed that the management team did not react to the game situation. For the first 15 minutes Caley got the ball down and played through the channels a poor finish in a one on one with their keeper saw a change in control, their boss shut out the Caley midfield which led to the ball being pumped in the air and not something Storey could cope with, they also identified the space at our left back as the place to attack. At 2-0 down Hughes's decisions were forced on him and the introduction of two players who went wide created space for the best player on the pitch (Christie) to get on the ball to either pass through, or draw out, defenders. This also created space for Miles to run into and he suddenly felt he could do something, which the Ross defenders recognised giving him a few knocks to try to slow him down. I agree with a previous post Vincent is not a striker and was more of a nuisance to Caley's attacking chances than a help.  Stay positive guys I saw some hope but the shape must suit the players and not the bosses favourite formation. 

• Agree 2

• Scotty unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

As a rather belated footnote to this, it has just struck me that it must be very unusual that we have been knocked out of two tournaments by the end of October.  The last time it happened was 13 years ago when we were beaten 1-0 at Berwick in the Challenge Cup and put up a good fight losing 4-2 at Celtic Park in the League Cup.

• Agree 1