Away game questions

Proctor

I am looking at the costs of attending away fixtures in the Scottish Premiership for the Scottish Football Supporters Association (SFSA).

While the recent BBC price of football survey shows that the cost of attending an away game has either stayed the same or fallen, some SPFL clubs are still charging more than £20 for an away match ticket.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34506759

The SFSA and the Football Supporters Federation feel that this is enough for away fans to pay given the cost of travel. Given that ICT are geographically isolated in comparison to other clubs, I wondering if you could share your experiences with me regarding travelling to games:

·         How frequently do you travel to away games?

·         On an average trip, what costs do you incur when travelling to games?

·         How do you travel to away games?

·         Over a season, how much do you think you spend travelling to away games?

·         Do you think that away game tickets are too expensive?

I would be grateful if you could share your thoughts with me, thank you.

P.S i Will be posting this on Overthebridge also. Please don't hold this against me. 

I am looking at the costs of attending away fixtures in the Scottish Premiership for the Scottish Football Supporters Association (SFSA).

While the recent BBC price of football survey shows that the cost of attending an away game has either stayed the same or fallen, some SPFL clubs are still charging more than £20 for an away match ticket.

The SFSA and the Football Supporters Federation feel that this is enough for away fans to pay given the cost of travel. Given that ICT are geographically isolated in comparison to other clubs, I wondering if you could share your experiences with me regarding travelling to games:

·         Over a season, how much do you think you spend travelling to away games?

P.S i Will be posting this on Overthebridge also. Please don't hold this against me. 

• I try to get to as many as I can. 
  • Last Season was £15 for CJT bus, £X for Match Ticket, £10 for food. Roughly £40 a game
  • Last season I went to 16 away games excluding the pre season friendlies, this season less for personal reasons
  • I think last season was around £640 (estimation)
  • I think they vary, for me personally I can attend games with a student card and the prices for that seem fair for roughly around £10-£15. I do think however Aberdeen, Celtic and St Johnstone are fairly extortionate for a student. 

I travel to the away games more accessible by train - Killie, Partick, Motherwell,Hamilton and Hearts. Parkhead has totally lost the novelty for me. I try to get to Dungwall once a year. Add any accessible cup games. Sneck is the most expensive !!

Depends on how thirsty I am and what company I keep. With advanced rail fares I would estimate an average £80 per game.

Mostly by train these days.

In excess of £1000 anyway - unless you want to count Bucharest !!

Tickets are good value in Scotland.

Can I suggest that you add to question 2 to sen Overthebridge - or what costs do you avoid or profit from ?

I attend as many away games as possible.

Costs would be between £20 - £25 for a ticket, anything between £12 - £30 for train tickets, £20 for food and drink. Guesstimate total spend of between £40 - £70 for a 'typical' away game.

Train or bus.

Over £1,000 as a worst case (approx 16 away games x £70).

No the prices are largely in line with what ICT charge for home games. Some clubs charge more than others e.g. Celtic and Aberdeen charge £26 for not much more than the likes of Saint Mirren who charged £20.

Main expense for me is the cost of travel (and this extends to Home games for me as I'm coming up from Edinburgh these days). With games often not selected for TV until about six weeks before the match a lot of the advanced / cheap tickets for the trains and buses are long gone. If they could plan a wee bit more in advance and sort out the games for TV well ahead of what they do now then it allows fans to book cheaper travel which may allow folk to travel more often.

Firstly, I live in Aberdeen so every game is an away game, but I have a season ticket and try to get to at least 10 home games a year or more to break even.

I usually go to away games in Perth, Dundee, Edinburgh and Aberdeen - so in a year that could be somewhere around 6-8, so nowhere near as many as some on here. Regarding the pricing I think the tickets are expensive across the board but I do think it becomes a challenge for clubs to drop away prices without doing teh same with home and as we have seen ourselves, lower prices do not always equate to more fans just reduced revenues. When we consider that the cost of the cinema is now £11 plus much more expensive refershments than any football ground, is football that bad, the biggest issue that clubs have is presenting value for money. There are certain stadia, seating positions etc where I think its not too bad, but others I think its a crap environment and surroundings for the money - Pittodrie being one, its exposed, always cold and generally a crapy away experience comapred to somewhere like Easter road or McDairmid - I  think that has a factor on opinions.

Have not been to a game this season so far but will get back again in not too distant future. For me, living in Perth every games an away day. I would usually travel by train and taking account of food, drink, travel and entry I probably spend around £70 each game.

I think that if we are calling for clubs to reduce costs for away fans then we must also call on them to  reduce for home fans as well. Would it really be fair if those in North stand paid £20 while those in South paid £10 to watch the same game?