Motherwell -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

What a relief that game was. We still didn't create a great deal in terms of clear-cut chances, but the defence held its shape better and the midfielders closed down much more effectively than in recent games, and we never allowed Motherwell to get a grip of the game at any point. The original penalty decision looked a clear-cut handball, and fair play to Craig Thomson for ordering the retake for encroachment, which most teams do and expect to get away with. The Storey goal looked like it had wrongfooted Ripley horribly at the time, and apparently, according to Storey on Twitter, it was a big deflection. The Vigurs goal, however, was sublime - one of those where you could see him shaping to hit it as it fell to him, and it looked like it went in in slow motion. Vigurs didn't have a great game otherwise; Polworth, on the other hand, was superb from start to finish: fighting for everything, getting all over the park, and distributing the ball really well. He had a very good game earlier in the season against St Johnstone but since then seems to have been pretty inconsistent; hopefully him getting a run in the team has built his confidence and he might be able to establish himself as a first pick even when we have a fully fit squad. Tremarco was another player who has looked uncertain recently but who had an excellent game, and on the other side Lewis Horner looked fairly solid and didn't stop running all day.

In the longer term, the most important thing about this game is that it has put more points on the board and stopped a potentially morale-sapping slump. There was nothing from today's game to suggest that we are likely to go on the sort of run that will get us back into the sort of position we were at the turn of the year last season; at the same time, I'm less worried than I was that we might end up getting cut adrift, with, say, United and maybe Partick. Yay for mediocrity.

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 4

Great summary Maryhill, especially yer final paragraph.

It was an important win for various reasons as you rightly pointed out, but we are still well short of resting on our laurels.

• Agree 1

The referee got the penalty re-take spot on (no pun intended). When Tansey strikes the ball a Motherwell player has encroached so far into the box he's in line with the penalty spot. :lol: What a mug. Certainly fortunate from Tanseys perspective getting a second bite of the cherry. But Well have no-one to blame but themselves for gifting it to him. McGhee up to his usual clown routine post match I see. Makes the result even sweeter.

Shame we seem to have picked up 3 injuries. Seems to be a recurring theme playing against Motherwell. Thought they looked a dirty team last time out, breaking Warrens leg and putting in some shocking challenges on Mutombo. Good time for an international break.

Vigurs goal was world class. Reminds us what he's capable of.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1

The referee got the penalty re-take spot on (no pun intended). When Tansey strikes the ball a Motherwell player has encroached so far into the box he's in line with the penalty spot.

Correct, but so was Storey, so it would have been a retake if Tansey had scored as well!

Interestingly MSN had a Matteo Bottegoni playing in midfield for us instead of Vigurs and credited him with the third goal too. 

How bizarre.  He's an Italian match official who was on duty as a linesman last night in Bari. Are we really that desperate for players?

That's the worst, most graceless highlights reel i've seen in ages. It's reminiscent of the publicity of stalinist russia (or Ibrox in the old days) in that it's a travesty of what actually happened. At no time did we look like that we had run away with the game, but we could have scored 5 with what was effectively a second string eleven - we had a hell of a lot more of the game than that shows. Motherwell are an excellent club who are badly let down by a partisan element who put this lot up. Get real.

Report coming up later after I have trawled home through the feckin incessant rain. That Well crowd was the whiniest I have ever come across. They should be bemoaning their final touch and shooting rather than shouting fer every 50/50 and blasting the officials. Bottom line is that the officials got all the calls right - although the assault on Dani's beard looked slightly OTT. When will we get everybody fit when we play them before they are recovered. Storey looked to have pulled the same hamstring again. It looked like a shocking challenge on Christie and I note that the Stalinist cameras did not play it. No doubt erased by Kruschev.

• Agree 1

Have we ever got beat by Well when we have been in the South Stand ?

Yep. I remember a Sunday afternoon game early in 2012-13 season, where we got absolutely turned over, 4-1 I think. Seem to remember that TSNY was absolutely seething at Owain Tudur Jones for some reason - did he possibly get sent off?  

ETA: Just checked the match report. No, OTJ didn't get sent off, but he was replaced by Gavin Morrison after about an hour, so presumably he wasn't having much of a game. Or maybe Butcher got sick of TSNY shouting at him... 

Edited by alternative maryhill

Jeez. How one-eyed were those highlights? The camera may not lie, but the editing certainly can  

There's no way they dominated the first half like that. And interesting that the challenge that ended Christie's game wasn't shown. 

I thought we were ok yesterday. Apart from the shot that hit the bar in the first half, I thought that we defended comfortably. In the second half we allowed ourselves to be penned back and we were hanging on a bit at the end. Having said that, we looked more solid at corners than we had for a while. It was Tremarco diving in and not getting the ball away that gave them the space for their goal. 

Horner had a solid enough game at right back, and Lopez was ok when he came on, although he won't be winning any awards for industry. He seemed more suited to that slightly deeper role, but again it does look like time has slowed down when he moves. Taney looks like he's getting some form back, and it's good that Warren is back cos Devine must be nearing a suspension after that booking yesterday. 

We were a bit lucky with the penalty retake, but it was the encroaching player that cleared the ball, which may have forced the referees hand. I thought McManus could have gone for either of the incidents he got booked for..Pearson was acting like a total nob at the end, he was obviously trying to wind Lopez up. 

I thought that Motherwell were a pretty petulant lot. MacDonald was diving at every opportunity. 

And a special word for the Motherwell fans - welts. What a bunch of poor persecuted souls they truly are. 

• Agree 1

Are posters genuinely surprised that a package of highlights, produced by one of the clubs involved in the match, are more biased towards showing what that club did in the game? Get a grip. Motherwell aren't obligated to show whether the game was a fair balance or not. I'm sure the ICT highlights, whenever they come out, will likely favour ICT and what is certain is that both sets of highlights will be better than Sportscene.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Jeez. How one-eyed were those highlights? The camera may not lie, but the editing certainly can  

There's no way they dominated the first half like that. And interesting that the challenge that ended Christie's game wasn't shown. 

I thought we were ok yesterday. Apart from the shot that hit the bar in the first half, I thought that we defended comfortably. In the second half we allowed ourselves to be penned back and we were hanging on a bit at the end. Having said that, we looked more solid at corners than we had for a while. It was Tremarco diving in and not getting the ball away that gave them the space for their goal. 

Horner had a solid enough game at right back, and Lopez was ok when he came on, although he won't be winning any awards for industry. He seemed more suited to that slightly deeper role, but again it does look like time has slowed down when he moves. Taney looks like he's getting some form back, and it's good that Warren is back cos Devine must be nearing a suspension after that booking yesterday. 

We were a bit lucky with the penalty retake, but it was the encroaching player that cleared the ball, which may have forced the referees hand. I thought McManus could have gone for either of the incidents he got booked for..Pearson was acting like a total nob at the end, he was obviously trying to wind Lopez up. 

I thought that Motherwell were a pretty petulant lot. MacDonald was diving at every opportunity. 

And a special word for the Motherwell fans - welts. What a bunch of poor persecuted souls they truly are. 

Danny now on five yellows

Are posters genuinely surprised that a package of highlights, produced by one of the clubs involved in the match, are more biased towards showing what that club did in the game? Get a grip. Motherwell aren't obligated to show whether the game was a fair balance or not. I'm sure the ICT highlights, whenever they come out, will likely favour ICT and what is certain is that both sets of highlights will be better than Sportscene.

I am not surprised at the partisan nature of the highlights, just how one-eyed they were. If I hadn't seen myself in the crowd, I'd have assumed that there was a different game that I'd gone to. Do they contact the work out to North Korean TV?

Having watched the highlights above Im so  relieved  that due to no supporters bus I decided to go to watch my Grandson playing a very exciting game of Basketball ......They say the camera never lies .....Looks like we were very lucky to have come away with 3 pts . A great result . Hope we keep it up after the break which doesn't always do us any favours ....

We weren't lucky at all - always in control and could well have scored more than four.  One of our best performances for quite a while.

• Agree 1

That's the worst, most graceless highlights reel i've seen in ages. It's reminiscent of the publicity of stalinist russia (or Ibrox in the old days) in that it's a travesty of what actually happened. At no time did we look like that we had run away with the game, but we could have scored 5 with what was effectively a second string eleven - we had a hell of a lot more of the game than that shows. Motherwell are an excellent club who are badly let down by a partisan element who put this lot up. Get real.

What the video does clearly show is gross encroachment with the first penalty. Indeed if the rules were observed absolutely to the letter, there was encroachment even before Tansey began his run for the first penalty because two Motherwell players have feet over the 18 yard line right from the start. Technically the referee should have pulled them up for that before the kick was taken - which on the other hand might then have headed off later encroachment and the first, saved penalty might have stood!

Talking about Motherwell's "partisan element", Tam Cowan was griping from the very start on Off The Ball about the retake, his argument being that other referees ignore encroachment, so this one should have too. Presmably he would also argue that since Lord Lucan got off with murder, everyone else should as well. I also wonder what the next rule will be that he wants to ignore when its application is against his interests.

On the other hand it might all have been a top-of-programme wind up to get a reaction.......

• Agree 1

I think that's a result that can give us a great deal of optimism considering the number of injuries. Hopefully with the international break coming we'll get players back, and we can really push on with more creative players like Doran and Roberts to help support Storey, not to mention the boost it will give the rest of the squad. 

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic