January transfer window.

Guest Shaun

IMO we would be the most logical option for Stokes. We have a lack of strikers/attacking players and he would most likely start most games for us. He would get exactly what he needs in a manager that knows how to get the best out of him while gaining much needed minutes on the pitch. At Dundee united he would be competing with Billy Mckay and that new Finnish lad for a starting berth and he would be scrapping it our each week in a relegation battle. At Hibs he would once again have competition from 3 or 4 other strikers and be playing at a lower level.

I think from Celtic's point of view they would probably prefer us as well seeing that he would be getting regular football and be away from the goldfish bowl of Glasgow.

Applying common sense or logic to this however is a waste of time, who knows where he will end up!

Ah well...nothing new! Give the supporters hope we'll get a big name player then let down at the last! Never know...he might have been useless! Anyway I Wont hinder on it..instead we should still look to get someone like GMS or this young lad that they've been raving about! 

Certainly wouldn't say stokes is a big name, potentially a player with good ability and proven scoring record in Scotland but that's it. Certainly shows a lack of ambition either fighting relegation if he goes to DUtd which I doubt or playing in a lower league even if he does get to play against rangers, doubt any of that will put him on the radar for Euro selection.

Perhaps after the niculae lesson of signing players with a reputation or on much higher salaries it just unsettles the rest of the team so maybe there are better options out there to fit with our club dynamic.

Edited by bdu98196

10 minutes ago, Alex MacLeod said:

Celtic and DU agree terms but Stokes not keen and wants to go south. I believe he doesnt think he'll catch the eye internationally if he stays in Scotland

I believe he thinks any club in Scotland other than Celtic is beneath him...

I had my doubts as soon as Celtic said they would be happy with the move but its down to the player where he chooses to go.

We don't know if its his ego that is the problem, whether he just wants to stay with in commuting distance of home or if he's looking for a stepping stone to the Premiership or Championship.Who knows.

However best of luck to all of our players who earn the right to wear the shirt for each match as it comes.

Stokes has had success under Yogi twice before and I reckon he would have been best served by spending a short while with Yogi again.  It might be that the idea appealed to him but that his agent wasn't so keen.  Anyhow, we've scored at least 2 goals in each of our last 5 league games so do we really need a striker?  

What about Nicky Clark then?

He has been told he's free to leave Rangers. He was a very good player for Queen of the South and scored a barrowload of goals for them but couldn't do it at Ibrox, I reckon he would be worth a shot :). 

Jason Cummings, Faisal El Bakhtaoui and Dominique Malonga would be great signings but unlikely to happen because our useless manager not keen on paying for players! God knows why though!!

Imagine the manager of your club achieving the biggest thing in your club's short history and wanting him gone barely months later.  Imagine living in a world of such stupidity and spoiledness.  I for one simply cannot fathom it. 

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Shaun said:

He has been told he's free to leave Rangers. He was a very good player for Queen of the South and scored a barrowload of goals for them but couldn't do it at Ibrox, I reckon he would be worth a shot :). 

Jason Cummings, Faisal El Bakhtaoui and Dominique Malonga would be great signings but unlikely to happen because our useless manager not keen on paying for players! God knows why though!!

_83323368_hughestrophy.jpg

Yogi-660x496.jpg

Kermit-The-Frog-Tea-Meme-02.jpg

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Get real Shaun. Our club cannot afford transfer fees. I would doubt that Dunfermline would let Faissal go for less than £100k. Cummings probably around £300k based on age and 18 mths contract remaining. Malonga is also probably in excess of £100k. He cant be signed on a pre cos his contract has more than six months to go. We dont have that sort of cash to spend and couldnt match the wages Hibs pay.

• Agree 1

We definitely can't afford Cummings and Malonga is gash. I haven't seen Faissal, so can't comment, but I doubt we could afford much more than a nominal fee, and I guess the Pars would want more. 

I don't think it's that Yogi doesn't want to spend money on transfers, it's more that budgets are tight, and money is better spent on wages. 

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

Stupidest comment yet? And I thought half on my answers was me talking sh*te! 

Anyway, back to the real world! Cummings and malonga won't happen...one will go to an English club and the other will end up in scots league 2. Nicky Clark would be a decent signing IMO, he can score plenty of goals. But I couldn't see him cumming to us! El Bakhtoui would be well worth it though and  like stated in other comments Dunfirmline won't let him go on the cheap! And I understand that the club can't throw money at transfers and that even if they gave Hughes money he might have others lined up!