January transfer window.

Guest Shaun

I was always under the impression these clauses were put in to stop other clubs coming.  Ie - if a club wants player X they'll have to pay over the odds.  We seem to be doing it the wrong way round...

Edited by Renegade

1 hour ago, ictchris said:

If we want to play the passing game that we hear all this talk about Tansey is absolutely vital.

We are relegation candidates if he leaves and if he does without a decent replacement then we need to ask questions about our board and how they plan our transfer activity.  

Sadly this is probably the post that says the most. Three very good points. I thought that we had learned the lesson with wee Billy. 

10 minutes ago, Renegade said:

I was always under the impression these clauses were put in to stop other clubs coming.  Ie - if a club wants player X they'll have to pay over the odds.  We seem to be doing it the wrong way round...

I'd guess the reason he signed on a decent length would have been something to do with the release clause, allowing him to leave early if a team was really interested in him. £200,000 isn't a disaster for a club our size and I very much doubt anyone would have paid more than that. He would have been more likely to move when his  contract is up and get nothing at all. 

I hope he stays as he will be hard to replace but I wish him all the best if he does decide to move. 

I have always felt that Tansey + Draper was never that effective as they both wanted to be playmakers. I wouldn't have been overly worried about Tansey going IF I could see a potential replacement. Still At least Raven can now become he only good thing to come out of Liverpool.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I have always felt that Tansey + Draper was never that effective as they both wanted to be playmakers. I wouldn't have been overly worried about Tansey going IF I could see a potential replacement. Still At least Raven can now become he only good thing to come out of Liverpool.

Paul Maccartney is deeply offended....

3 minutes ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I'd guess the reason he signed on a decent length would have been something to do with the release clause, allowing him to leave early if a team was really interested in him. £200,000 isn't a disaster for a club our size and I very much doubt anyone would have paid more than that.

Agreed. 

And without the release clause, how much would Aberdeen be offering? £60,000, increased perhaps to £100,000 when we reject the first bid? You can easily see how, with pressure from the player and his agent, and our policy of not standing in the way of a player who gets the chance to earn vastly more than at present, we would have ended up with much less than we are going to get here. £200,000 would be our 3rd highest transfer fee ever.

The timing absolutely sucks, of course, leaving us no real time to identify, properly assess and strike a deal with suitable replacements, if indeed there are any available. But nobody saw this coming, and it's only happening at all because the Dons failed to land Don Cowie.  

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, CaleyTom said:

ICT just tweeted " despite 7 figure offer from Aberdeen "the Goose " will not be leaving  @15:12pm

lets hope that this is the case

If this turns out to be correct, what does it mean? did Abdn fall short of the asking price or did Tansey not want to move? If the latter, he is immediately elevated to God staus IMO.

• Agree 1

Why does the club have a fetish with selling our best players to premiership opposition? Do we even do anything with the money we recieved? What of the half a million we received for Christie? Who have we brought in to replace him?

Have we learned NOTHING from Dundee united with regards to what happens when you sell your top players?

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

If this turns out to be correct, what does it mean? did Abdn fall short of the asking price or did Tansey not want to move? If the latter, he is immediately elevated to God staus IMO.

The goose is our shan stig rip-off. 

Spoof tweet, no relevance to Tansey. 

Not to mention seven figures being at least a million pounds. Sadly, losing our best players to the rather wealthier rivals along the road is just a fact of commercial life and £200,000 is £200,000 more than we got for either Johnny Hayes or Graeme Shinnie...

• Agree 1

I hate to say it, but if Tansey leaves we are genuine relegation candidates. He's so integral to everything we do. £200k is a pathetic transfer fee in relation to his importance. Should be learning from what's happened at Dundee United what happens if you sell your top players in quick succession. I'm utterly deflated.

• Agree 1

They are DD, but if his agent insists that the only way he will sign a new contract is if that clause is there i suspect that the club would agree to it.

at the end of the day we havent sold that many players so the club would have agreed to it. 

9 minutes ago, lightlamp2 said:

In other words. They think its funny we're selling Tansey.

Glad they take the Club seriously

People really should check before making assumptions.....as the club DID NOT post the comment.  I posted the comment, and not on the club account, in response to several Aberdeen fans asking if they would also be making an offer for the guy who does ICTFC's Twitter account.