January transfer window.

Guest Shaun

I agree with Yogi, Higdon is not the type of player we need. I would like to see another Miles Storey player. 

1 hour ago, caleyboy said:

Important message to J Hughes, Manager of the Year 2015.- - - Watch your back - there are people out there who know how to do the job better than you - or at least they think they do.

Fans are entitled to opinion and Yogi is not immune from CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I personally think that under the current wage structure put in place, yes we have done well however questioning the number of midfielders at the club is a very valid question. 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

I entirely agree with Roughie. I doubt that there is a single one of us who believes we are capable of doing the manager's job better than him but, as football fans who support the team through thick and thin we are entitled to offer constructive comment. This site would be a very dull place indeed if it became merely a John Hughes Appreciation Society with the occasional snide dig at club legends for having the temerity to sometimes question our style of play....

For the avoidance of doubt, the comment about not believing we could do a better job than the manager does not apply to Craig Brewster towards the end of his second spell......

10 hours ago, caleyboy said:

Important message to J Hughes, Manager of the Year 2015.- - - Watch your back - there are people out there who know how to do the job better than you - or at least they think they do.

:laugh:

No one on here is saying that for a second so calm down there Thomas Huxley.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, PCS said:

Could it be that the gaffer just knew the rules and we are actually prohibited from signing Higdon

http://m.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/local-sport/mcghee-was-thwarted-in-michael-higdon-bid-1-4025448

Fair point....except, if he knew that why didn't he just say "it's against the rules" instead of "he's not the kind of player we need"?

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Fair point....except, if he knew that why didn't he just say "it's against the rules" instead of "he's not the kind of player we need"?

Probably because, like so many armchair managers, he wasn't aware of the situation simply because Higdon is not the type of player he wants.

3 hours ago, PerfICT said:

I think it is implied by saying 'not on his radar' If he was able to sign him he might have shown up as 'blip' down in the managers air raid shelter.

I do agree we need more cover upfront now that Fisher is injured but could 1 of the new midfielders provide us with that spark in the final third. I'm looking at Ryan Williams, he appears to have the skills to create, which would then free up Storey to run off him and concentrate on scoring, rather than trying to do both.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I entirely agree with Roughie. I doubt that there is a single one of us who believes we are capable of doing the manager's job better than him but, as football fans who support the team through thick and thin we are entitled to offer constructive comment. This site would be a very dull place indeed if it became merely a John Hughes Appreciation Society with the occasional snide dig at club legends for having the temerity to sometimes question our style of play....

For the avoidance of doubt, the comment about not believing we could do a better job than the manager does not apply to Craig Brewster towards the end of his second spell......

Seems to be some posters are very close to going down the old 'you've never played so what do you know?' line.  A bizarre concept which seems totally unique to football.  You'd never hear someone say "What do you know about politics?  You've never been an MP".  Jonathan Ross reviews films, but how many has he directed?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, PerfICT said:

Exactly ... good to know the likely reason albeit from another club manager ... 10/10 for Mark McGhee's open and honest feedback on who they've tried to get and why they've been unsuccessful. On Yogi's watch, we've had wonderful achievements and memories for which I' sure we're all very thankful but generally the fans (who are the one constant) like to know and discuss what's going on with playing staff and plans in that regard (within reason and subject to reasonable confidentiality). Nothing wrong with polite challenges/enquiry/banter.  

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, PCS said:

I think it is implied by saying 'not on his radar' If he was able to sign him he might have shown up as 'blip' down in the managers air raid shelter.

I do agree we need more cover upfront now that Fisher is injured but could 1 of the new midfielders provide us with that spark in the final third. I'm looking at Ryan Williams, he appears to have the skills to create, which would then free up Storey to run off him and concentrate on scoring, rather than trying to do both.

Yes, I think this is a strong possibility and there are others, too. However, that does not solve the major risk that exists: if Storey gets injured, we have the sum total of nil strikers to choose from, especially now that Foran, Ferguson and Fisher are all FFFing crocked and Sutherland is out on loan. Risky!

Likewise, should we need a goal in the dying minutes of a cup tie and want to go 2 up front, what do we do? I'm sure a few of the guys can do a job up there, but that isn't the same as being able to bring a recognised striker on alongside Storey. Compare our situation to that at County - they now have 5 strikers to choose from: Boyce, Curran, Schalke, Graham and Goodwillie. Galling!

• Agree 4

21 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Yes, I think this is a strong possibility and there are others, too. However, that does not solve the major risk that exists: if Storey gets injured, we have the sum total of nil strikers to choose from, especially now that Foran, Ferguson and Fisher are all FFFing crocked and Sutherland is out on loan. Risky!

Likewise, should we need a goal in the dying minutes of a cup tie and want to go 2 up front, what do we do? I'm sure a few of the guys can do a job up there, but that isn't the same as being able to bring a recognised striker on alongside Storey. Compare our situation to that at County - they now have 5 strikers to choose from: Boyce, Curran, Schalke, Graham and Goodwillie. Galling!

Where did Galling sign from?

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, PerfICT said:

Didn't do them much good last night

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, PerfICT said:

Yes, indeed! Where is the multiple-like button.

Here, in North America, a favorite strategy of the National (ice) Hockey League  teams, if losing by one or even two goals close to the end of the game, is to "pull" their goalie thus allowing an extra player be sent onto the ice in his place.

This can be very risky, of course, but since they are losing anyway by at least one or two goals it often pays huge dividends. And if they can scrape a draw then they can win the match in  extra time. EEEEEH! It's sometimes very exciting stuff. Especially when the winning team hits the puck down the length of the ice and the puck , instead of going into the empty net, hits the post and bounces off ...:clapping:ha! 

• 4 weeks later...

What about Craig Gunn from Elgin?  Now I know it's a different level of football, but the guy seems to score every week!  I happened to see him play recently and is the type of player we need - fast, direct and a good finisher.  He might need time to bed to full time football, but as a natural finisher it could come good.  Worked for Greg Stewart.

• Agree 2

It is a very different level of football but I agree a punt worth taking. Back in the day the likes of Billy Urquhart and Hamish French went straight from the Highland League to the top division and did well enough.

Edited by Kingsmills

Totally agree we should be looking closer to home to try and unearth a hidden gem. Who on earh scouted Dani Lopes and recommended him for the SPL when he was no where fit enough. There must be some raw potential in the Highland League, that with the right full time training could become a useful addittion to the Squad.