January transfer window.

Guest Shaun

Heard it was tansey and his agent that got SFA involved, both fuming at ICT for not letting him go. If this is true I would have preferred him to leave instead of having a player who doesn't want to be at the club.  Won't be surprised if he doesn't play for us again.

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

Well, its after midnight yet we've only signed 1, possibly 2 (Hughes signed?) yet no sign of a striker, unless there is late news!

This club is a shambles and bothour chairman AND manager need questioned as to why no striker was signed when we are in desperate need of one!!!!!!!

So this window only saw us sign Ryan Williams, Miles Storey and Alex Fisher, that is a disgrace!!!

Only positive is that nobody left but tbh, he probably feels he should have.

And the most predictable post of the transfer window goes to.......Mahonio.......I mean eh Immortal Squid.....I mean eh Shaun!

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Renegade said:

And the most predictable post of the transfer window goes to.......Mahonio.......I mean eh Immortal Squid.....I mean eh Shaun!

Oi, don't put Immortal Squid onto this because I am not he, stupid dick!!

Anyway, I fully expect we'll sign Michael Higdon or Victor Zapata on a free sometime soon.

Oh and to an earlier post, I mentioned Storey and Fisher but that is the only 2 strikers we have, we need at least one more, if not 2.

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

Oi, don't put Immortal Squid onto this because I am not he, stupid dick!!

Anyway, I fully expect we'll sign Michael Higdon or Victor Zapata on a free sometime soon.

Oh and to an earlier post, I mentioned Storey and Fisher but that is the only 2 strikers we have, we need at least one more, if not 2.

Oh dear that's a bit strong!  My feelings are hurt! :sad:

You must concede though it is an easy mistake to make.  Both males in Caithness.  Very similar posting style.  Both have a habit of calling players and management by their first names.  And when you logged out, the Immortal Squid logged in!  My sincerest apologies for what must just be a massive coincidence. 

Edited by Renegade

Disappointed we are still without forward cover. Pleased we didn't lose anybody but that pleasure will be less so if it turns out that we have been left with a player so upset that his form and commitment suffers.

I don't know the details but if we'd played it differently could we have ended up with £200,000 for a player who fills a role we are well enough covered for and who will possibly be less effective now and got the experienced David Goodwillie to fill a role that we have been short on for a very long time as part of the bargain? Just a thought.

Don't think we've heard the last of this!
The Inverness Courier are reporting that Tansey did meet with the Pittodrie club and agreed to join - before the deal collapsed.

Awkward!!!

Edit. Link http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Caley-Thistle-block-Tansey-transfer-to-Aberdeen-and-sign-midfielder-Williams-02022016.htm

Edited by Sneckboy

Well, what a shambles the Tansey affair was. Delighted that the Dons were unsuccessful, but it sounds like the player wanted the move, in which case we've effectively lost him anyway! Hopefully, the club can convince him that it was all Aberdeen's fault, but it will be interesting to see if he plays for us again. A very sad state of affairs.

• Agree 1

The P & J have tweeted a link to a largely unhelpful story which seems to focus on the ambiguity of the release clause for Tansey. I can only guess that ICT argued that it's only triggered if you pay the full whack up front whereas Aberdeen argued that even in installments the trigger is still meet.

15 minutes ago, RiG said:

The P & J have tweeted a link to a largely unhelpful story which seems to focus on the ambiguity of the release clause for Tansey. I can only guess that ICT argued that it's only triggered if you pay the full whack up front whereas Aberdeen argued that even in installments the trigger is still meet.

If the Dons were that desperate to sign Tansey they could have easily found £200,000 up front. Their gate receipts from tomorrow evening's near sell out with Celtic will be a good deal more than that alone and then there's always Stewart Mine's hip pocket....

Edited by Kingsmills

I don't think anybody has said it yet, but well done to ICT for resisting the temptation to let go of a key player in order to bring in a hefty sum of cash.  Better still, just as they stood firm when Dundee Utd wanted our manager, it was good to see our Board fight tooth and nail (with perhaps a bit of hair pulling too) to resolutely fend off the raiders from the east by whatever means were possible. 

It does no harm to send out a signal that we aren't the pushovers we perhaps once were.

• Agree 5

Fact of the matter with the Tansey deal is.... Who made it public?

Yes Aberdeen have met release clause and nobody knows the ins and outs of the contract details, but until we physically accept the offer and allow Tansey to speak to Aberdeen, none of it should have become public.... probably why we as a club are unhappy with Aberdeen, because they have gone and made it public to unsettle our player and force the move. Pretty poor if you ask me.

12 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

I don't think anybody has said it yet, but well done to ICT for resisting the temptation to let go of a key player in order to bring in a hefty sum of cash.  Better still, just as they stood firm when Dundee Utd wanted our manager, it was good to see our Board fight tooth and nail (with perhaps a bit of hair pulling too) to resolutely fend off the raiders from the east by whatever means were possible. 

It does no harm to send out a signal that we aren't the pushovers we perhaps once were.

best post yet 

Total agreement with Yngwie.

Story leaves me with some questions.

1. Was Tansey and/or his agent approached by Aberdeen without ICT permission?

2. How did Aberdeen know of any release clause in contract?

3. What gives the like of Aberdeen and Dundee United, who may be bigger but no more successful in recent times, the right to think they can ride roughshod over teams like us?

Many of the comments on here and, indeed, in the press are nothing more than hearsay and speculation. There hasn't been time since the window closed to allow any official statement from either team so maybe we should take the whole story with a pinch of salt at this stage.

• Agree 3

Yes, well done to the club in not letting themselves be 'rolled over' by Aberdeen if the proposed deal was not right for us.  Doubt if we will ever know for sure whether it was just the 'release clause' issue or not.

There have been hints by other posters that Tansey will now be thoroughly unsettled, and even that he might not play for us again.  I would be amazed if his own professional pride let the situation degenerate to that level.  He is not the first footballer, nor will he be the last, to fail to get a move to a bigger club when negotiations between the clubs come to stalemate (the John Stones Everton/Chelsea saga as an example).

Surely Tansey will just buckle down, play to his best ability and make himself an even better prospect for bigger clubs in the summer. Good luck to him. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, ICTRoughi said:

If Aberdeen met the release clause in his contract and Tansey met Aberdeen officials which he agreed to move, how were we able to block the move? 

I understand the whole instalments offer etc, 

Then just maybe your second paragraph answers the question posed in the first...

3 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Then just maybe your second paragraph answers the question posed in the first...

Yeah however the value with the instalments meets the release clause, so in theory a bid would have been accepted for Tansey, which leads me back to my original question, how were we able to block a move? 

2 minutes ago, ed waiter said:

Wondering how much of the £200,000 we would have got if Tansey had gone, given that his previous club apparently had a sell on clause. Does anyone know what it is?

No because it will be commercially confidential just as his release clause figure ought to have been...

I 'read' it was 20% due to Stevenage. (edit: I see their manager was sacked yesterday - surely nothing to do with this!)
ie £40,000 to go to Stevenage...

Perhaps we played 'hard ball' and suggested the wording of Tansey's release clause indicated that we were to receive a clear £200,000 in the event of a transfer - meaning we perhaps asked Aberdeen to up their bid to £240,000.
Rumours (again) that they did indeed offer over the 'clause' (have seen it written they offered £220,000) but a compromise couldn't be reached.
Sounds a good story - but I stress, it's speculation!

However, this episode could open a can of worms with regard to future 'release clauses' in player contracts.
Also rumoured is that both clubs have/will be complaining to the SFA!
Did the Dons 'tap up' Tansey? Did ICT breach the player's contract!

Another poster on some forum, somewhere, speculated that Tansey and his agent are seeking legal advice on annulling the contract (as it was breached), thus becoming a free-agent, before heading along to join-up at Pittodrie! Tin-hat stuff? Maybe? I tend not to comment on anything that's rumour, but I've been sucked-in by this fascinating saga!
But, the bottom line is, neither club have released any official statements regarding the situation - and they may not!

Edited by Sneckboy