Liam Polworth

Kingsmills

As far as home grown talent is concerned, Liam's progress has been largely overshadowed by that of Ryan Christie and there is no doubt that young Ryan's progress from youth to first team has been more rapid and that he matured and developed more quickly than Liam

However, after a couple of false starts, Liam is now coming into his own and beginning to show his true potential. Personally, I believe he may go on to be at least as talented and possibly even more influential than Ryan.

For that reason I believe that one of the best pieces of business we do in January is to secure him on a three and a half year contract. Such is his potential talent I fear that he is bound to move onto 'better' and much higher paid things sooner or later but that way we will at least get full value for him when he goes rather than being somewhat short changed as we were with Ryan.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 6
  • Disagree 1

I agree that Liam has recently shown massive improvement but he is a different type of player to Ryan. Yes get him signed for the future but I'm sure the manager knows exactly what length of contract he should offer so that he fits within his overall (reduced) budget. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see him having the same potential as Ryan.  

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

LP has proved to one of the very few bright sparks over the last few weeks. I agree that we need to learn from previous mistakes and make sure that we either retain him for his best footballing years or we get value for him in the market.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people were quite disappointed when Nick Ross moved on but young Liam has more than stepped up to the plate. He's managed to force his way into the team and he's meriting his place in the team with his performances. 

Hopefully we can get him on a new contract pronto as he looks like he's really coming on to his game now. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

I'd just like to endorse everything the OP and others have said.  I've not seen him play for a while, except highlight snatches, but I really hope his progress continues.  It seems that he is thriving with the extra responsibility.  Lets hope we can keep him for another couple of years at least.  I always find it amazing how well we seem to manage to fill the boots of our stars who leave.  Someone like Ryan leaves, or, in the past, Black, Rooney, Brown or many others who, in no time at all, seem to be replaced more than adequately.  Perhaps the exception is in replacing Billy on a permanent basis, but perhaps Storey can do that too if we secure him on a longer contract.

There's no "Young Player of the Month" award any more which is a pity as Polworth would surely be a shoe-in for December. 

I'd like to think, though, that his name would at least be mentioned when the actual PotM award is being discussed. But regardless of that, he's had a great month, a breakthrough month.

I always wanted to see polworth getting a proper chance and he certainly hasn't disappointed! He has stepped up to be a very important player for us and I hope that the club can sort out a good contract for him! As we seen on Wednesday he is also a player that will hit a ball from outside the box which is, unfortunately, something we don't see a great deal of! Liam can only get better from here and I hope we get to see him in his best years! 

• Agree 2

Great to see Liam doing so well. In my opinion there is nothing quite like a truly local boy in the team to provide inspiration to youngsters in Inverness to follow their dreams and have confidence in their abilities, whatever path they choose to follow. I'm so glad he's taken his chance to carry on where Nick and Ryan left off and credit to the youth coaches for their part in nurturing local talent. All the very best for 2016 Liam and the rest of the team too. Thanks for an amazing year and loads of unforgettable memories.

• Agree 10
  • Disagree 1

On 31/12/2015 at 5:10 PM, DEANO96 said:

I always wanted to see polworth getting a proper chance and he certainly hasn't disappointed! He has stepped up to be a very important player for us and I hope that the club can sort out a good contract for him! As we seen on Wednesday he is also a player that will hit a ball from outside the box which is, unfortunately, something we don't see a great deal of! Liam can only get better from here and I hope we get to see him in his best years! 

Never see where Tansey shoots from?!:lol:

When Polworth signed an extension to his contract for last season, all i could see him being was a squad player like he has been in the past, also covering when players are injured. Players then got injured and he has come in, completely surpassing my expectations of his ability and his place in the team has been well merited this season 

• Agree 6

• 2 months later...

A nice article in the Scotsman about Liam :

There was a time when a 
Highland born-and-based player being introduced to a Scotland squad would have felt like a big deal. All that the Scotland under-21 call-up earned by Inverness Caledonian Thistle midfielder Liam 
Polworth feels, though, is right.

Polworth may not be handed a first cap as Ricky 
Sbragia’s side face France in Angiers tomorrow night in a game they must win to retain slender hopes of European Championship qualification. 
However, he deserves to be keeping company with the most promising young Scottish players after a season wherein he has been a 
polished performer in the 
Premiership.

The 21-year-old, who represented Scotland at under-16 and under-17 levels, can lay claim to being the youngest debutant for Inverness after he made his first senior appearance as a 16-year-old. In the five years since he has witnessed the Highland football landscape change beyond all recognition.

The player netted in the 3-0 win for John Hughes’ side over derby rivals Ross County on Sunday. Not only did that goal dampen the post-match victory parade for the Dingwall side following their arrival on the major 
trophy-winners scene with 
the previous week’s League Cup success. It reminded us what last year’s Scottish Cup 
victors are capable of after a struggle of a season which brought the end of the trophy defence against Hibernian last Wednesday.

That Scotland’s two cups could reside in a region that previously had never been
temporary home to either has allowed Polworth to take his place with Scotland without feeling inferior.

Maybe there is a bit of a 
balance shift. County have done brilliantly this season to win a cup and are well up the league table,” he said. “Players no longer feel the Highlands is such a bad place to go and play their football. A lot of boys have come up and played their football here and earned really good moves back down south. It’s much more attractive now given that both teams are going.”

Yet, where the Highland clubs have appeared lax is in the matter of developing young talent. Polworth admits he is one of the few young 
players to have come through the ranks in the area that is regularly receiving game time.

“It’s difficult when you are a youngster as we haven’t got many players to choose from,” he said. “There are far more players in the west of Scotland and there is much more choice.

I haven’t really seen much of the Ross County kids but we have one or two, and we will be looking to bring through more. Sometimes all it takes is the chance to play and then they can show they are good enough. I speak to a lot of the boys at the under-20s as well as some of the coaches and there are a few which are ready to come through and all they need is the chance and a little glimmer of hope.”

Polworth doesn’t cite his father’s influence as assisting his development. In fact he joshes that his old man Iain, who now manages Highland club Clachnacuddin, was a football figure he studiously avoided. His father was signed by Alex Ferguson for Aberdeen in 1985. “That’s his only claim to fame,” the 21-year-old said, his dad leaving shortly afterwards without playing a game, eventually playing for the old pre-merger Caledonian Thistle in Inverness.

“[Football in the city] has come a long way. The facilities are probably still the same. The level they’ve got to from where they were is a big achievement. I’m sure he tries to tell me stories about Fergie but I just walk out. I’m not really interested in what he has to say. He doesn’t coach me anymore and I wouldn’t take any advice of him anyway He did a little bit of coaching when I was younger, but I had Ryan Christie’s dad [Charlie] as a coach when I was younger.”

Polworth’s current coach is also a man to avoid. The player was left with jaw-ache after being punched by Hughes as the Inverness manager celebrated with the subbed midfielder following their team’s equaliser in their Scottish Cup tie at Easter Road earlier this month.

“I’m not sure why he punched me in the head. I think he was looking for his mate in the crowd and I happened to be in the way and got one right in the head,” Polworth said. “We had a laugh about it, but I didn’t get much sympathy.”
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

I'll be very surprised if Polwarth doesn't sign a new contract 

Can't remember where I saw it now, but I did read that Polly was gutted that Williams and Vincent were leaving.....lets hope this doesn't affect his decision to sign what he's been offered. :furtive:

Edited by ictfcsince94
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

I'll be very surprised if Polwarth doesn't sign a new contract 

Suspect if he does not sign it will be because of his agent trying to punt him elsewhere to line the agents pocket !!