Favourite ICT 'keeper Poll

Sneckboy

Favourite ICT 'keeper - Poll  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have between-the-sticks?!

• Mark McRitchie
    • Nicky Walker
    • Dean Brill
    • Tony Reguero
    • Mark Brown
    • Michael Fraser
    • Zibi Malkowski
    • Ally Ridgers
    • Kyle Allison
    • Cammy Mackay
    • Owain Fon Williams
    • Jim Calder
    • Les Fridge
    • Jonny Tuffey
    • Ryan Esson

Which goalie would you pick?!
Just a bit of festive fun - a very short poll - it'll close after our game v County.
Come 1000 competitive games for ICT (towards the end of next season), It would be interesting to compile a CTO - ICT 'dream team' along these lines.
Deliberately wording the topic as 'favourite' rather than 'best'. For example, I acknowledge that Hughes is ICT's most 'successful' ever manager, but my 'favourite' would be Paterson! 
I'm also thinking that in 18 months time, the Dream Team poll would be done via PM's rather than a visible poll to reduce potential 'influence' - as I say, just testing-the-water here!

Edited by Sneckboy

Jim Calder was a fans favourite and a good keeper for us, but he never played in the top flight and even then was he as good as Brill, Brown and Esson amongst others?  Perhaps strangely it was Mark Brown I went for.  I think a lot of people forget how good he was for us.  Unlucky not be capped.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Jim Calder was more than just a cult hero. He was a terrific goalkeeper who would have held his own in the SPL. ICT fans didn't even get to see him in his prime. Let's not forget he was already 34 at the time of the merger but stayed with the club for 8 more years. When he won man of the match in our famous 1-3 Scottish Cup victory at Celtic Park he was 40 years old and earning £15 a week.

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, Renegade said:

Jim Calder was a fans favourite and a good keeper for us, but he never played in the top flight and even then was he as good as Brill, Brown and Esson amongst others?  Perhaps strangely it was Mark Brown I went for.  I think a lot of people forget how good he was for us.  Unlucky not be capped.

Jim Calder was a fans favourite, an eccentric and a bit of a 'character. However, he was also a fine goalkeeper, a natural shop stopper and the man you would want in goal facing a penalty.

It's true that he didn't play for us in the top league but that was simply a matter of timing as we were not in the top league in his day. He contributed fully to the famous 3-1 at Parkhead with two wonderful saves and could easily have played and held his own in the Premiership.

We have been fortunate enough to have had some very decent 'keepers over the years but, for me, Jim Calder is the stand out.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Renegade said:

Unlucky not to save a penalty. Flapped at crosses, poor at clearances, good shot stopper though. As op said, favourite keeper, not necessarily the best.

9 hours ago, 12th Man said:

Have you got the stats on their penalty saves Sneckboy.

3rd, Jim sit on the crossbar Calder.

2nd, Ryan Esson, 

1st Deano.

Owain hasnt been here long enough yet to be in contention yet.

Unfortunately, I don't have!
Unlike our penalty-takers (hence the 'dedicated' thread on that), I've never kept a record of our 'keepers' penalty saving stats!
I doubt these have been reliably compiled anywhere, certainly those from the pre-internet-era!

There's a website, Transfermarkt, which has penalty-saving stats for 'keepers (the only one I can find), but they only list them from around the time Mark Brown was our goalie - so, doesn't have his complete record.
I've used their info to compile this list, but I must stress, it's not 'recognised' as a reliable source.
(i.e. if you updated Wiki and cited 'Transfermarkt' as your source, your edit would be deleted)
That said, I've no reason to doubt its veracity for our more recent 'keepers...but like all football databases is simply subject to human error.
However, what is consistent, and these results support this, is my feeling that when a team have a penalty against us - they will score!

Jim Calder - No data
Mark McRitchie - No data
Les Fridge - No data
Nicky Walker - No data
Michael Fraser - 0 from 16
Tony Reguero - 0 from 4
Ally Ridgers - 0 from 4
Zibi Malkowski - 0 from 3
Kyle Allison - 0 from 2
Cammy Mackay - 0 from 0
Mark Brown - 1 from 7 (incomplete record)
Ryan Esson - 2 from 29 (7%)
Jonny Tuffey - 1 from 12 (9%)
Dean Brill - 1 from 8 (13%)
Owain Fon Williams - 1 from 4 (25%)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sneckboy said:

However, what is consistent, and these results support this, is my feeling that when a team have a penalty against us - they will score!

This is anecdotal - I certainly don't have data to back it up, and my memory isn't what it was - but I remember having a degree of confidence about penalties against us when Mark Brown is in goals.

I think the only way to get close would be to read every match report and try and collate it from that. Not a trivial task.

Alternatively, the club may have records?

Jimmy seemed to save about 50% of the penalties against him. But that's sheer specuguesstimation. He certainly saved a lot. I remember Brown saving one when we were at Pittodrie, but the ball was knocked back into the box and Celtic scored.

I can only assume that if you didn't vote for Jim Calder you are either;

a) Too young to have seen him play

b) One of these supporters who jumped on the bandwagon and started supporting ICT when we won promotion to the SPL in 2004.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, 12th Man said:

Seeing as we don't have any  1885 glory hunters left I think we can all be considered newbies.

Take any of our SPFL/ SPL goalies and stick them in the bottom 2 divisions and they would be as good if not better than Jim Calder.

But did any of them sit on the cross bar during a match?

1 hour ago, ed said:

But did any of them sit on the cross bar during a match?

Not being of the jeggie persuasion, my favourite memory of Jimbo is his dancing on the pitch after the Celtic match.

Years later he appeared in a HL veterans match, Inverness v Aberdeenshire at the Clach Park and all he was bothered about that afternoon was how the Rangers were getting on :lol: 

3 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

The poll says "favourite" not best etc., etc., etc.

Calder is a feckin no brainer (pun) :laugh:

Aww get back on board your pirate ship? ' Her Majesty's Ship Sneck' 

And do an orinoko flow. 

Calder isn't even 1st with Broonie and Brill close behind.

11 hours ago, Sneckboy said:

Jim Calder - No data
Mark McRitchie - No data
Les Fridge - No data
Nicky Walker - No data
Michael Fraser - 0 from 16
Tony Reguero - 0 from 4
Ally Ridgers - 0 from 4
Zibi Malkowski - 0 from 3
Kyle Allison - 0 from 2
Cammy Mackay - 0 from 0
Mark Brown - 1 from 7 (incomplete record)
Ryan Esson - 2 from 29 (7%)
Jonny Tuffey - 1 from 12 (9%)
Dean Brill - 1 from 8 (13%)
Owain Fon Williams - 1 from 4 (25%)

That table can't be right.  Fon Williams has saved two, Brill saved two in the Hearts shootout, while did Kyle Allison really have two penalties taken against him?  He only played once!

For some reason, I always felt safer with Mark Brown in goals.  Could in part be due to his defence as well mind, the Tokely-Dods-Munro-Hastings backline was probably our best defence until last season.

Mark Brown was a good all round keeper. Probably our best. But I had no confidence in him at all facing penalties. Never even looked like he believed he could save one. Particularly in shoot outs. 

Calder is my favourite for the memory of that game. He's a legend. 

19 hours ago, ed said:

I can only assume that if you didn't vote for Jim Calder you are either;

a) Too young to have seen him play

b) One of these supporters who jumped on the bandwagon and started supporting ICT when we won promotion to the SPL in 2004.

Nope! I voted for Deano as it asks your favourite keeper that's all. I expected most to vote for Jim C tbh

14 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Not being of the jeggie persuasion, my favourite memory of Jimbo is his dancing on the pitch after the Celtic match.

More mature (at least in terms of years) Jaggies will recall that that was not the first time Jim had graced the pitch at Parkhead. The first time he played as a forward while a sixteen year old Les Fridge was between the sticks and Murd Urquhart had a cameo role as Titchy Black's minder....

I would imagine that Jim Calder is the favourite player of many fans, not just favourite goalkeeper.

His showboating in front of goal, his banter with the fans, and his loyalty to Thistle / Caley Thistle will probably never be replaced. You wont get a fans favourite like Jim Calder for a long time.

In his prime, he was without doubt a better shot stopper Tha any goalkeeper we've ever had. Remember when the club went professional and Calder wanted to stay part time. Pele brought in Les Fridge, who then lost his place to part time Calder. If he had gone pro and had an ambitious football career, he could have gone to the very top of the game. Has anyone got a photo of Calder sitting on the cross bar for the Jags? It must be floating about somewhere.