What will 2016 bring for ICT

Eagle4Caley

Having got to the midpoint of the season, up to 6th in the table, what do people think 2016 will bring?

We are now in a post Ryan Christie, Marley Watkins, Shinnie Bros and Mckay era, a period that saw us in the top six three seasons running and with a Scottish Cup win and a League Cup final apperance, and our first sortie into Europe to boot.

It was a tough start to the season, with injuries, suspension, key players sold/not retained and little money for reinforcements....and irritably we've developed a knack for only playing 45mins and sitting deep on leads. Maybe that was inevitable, with a defence that has hardly been stable and new players taking time to blend in or just plain settle in. However considering what has happened at Dundee Utd, and also Motherwell (who finished 2nd in the league not so long ago) we may have done really well to avoid a potential meltdown!

Arguably December has been a pretty good month going unbeaten with plenty of goals scored albeit with draws snatched from potential defeats and wins (but we would have taken a draw at Aberdeen before the start!).... and winning at Hamilton despite initially losing the lead twice, is probably a sign of the never-give-up mentality coming back.

Good signs are the emergence of Polworth, Vincent still being fit, Devine developing as a solid defender. Williams has been a bit quiet recently (probaly suffering a bit as Mr Versatile in a shuffling line-up) but I expect him to push on. Tansey seems to be increasingly the rock that the team is built around, and Wedderburn now seems to have Yogi's confidence and seems to be putting in some performances. Fon-Williams has done well enough, although I am not convinced he has the fans confidence (am I wrong?) but it has to be a small boost that he could be going to the EUFA championship for Wales (albeit as an un-playing understudy to the mighty Wayne Hennessey)

Question marks are whether we can retain Storey (we clearly want to!) and whether the now-fit Roberts proves to be the real deal, likewise Lopez-Robles and Mbuyi-Mutombo have much to do to impress. Vigurs has provided some impetus in certain games, but seems a stop-gap. I feel over the close season we may be looking at new full backs, as much as I like Tremarco, I don't feel Yogi sees either him or Raven as long term (or have I got it wrong with Raven?)

A problem for us is that in reality with small crowds we have a very low income stream, and the SPFL as a package doesn't seem to generate much income, therefore player retention and recruitment is a bit of a lottery....I could see another sale in the summer being required to maintain rebuilding/regeneration, and the most valuable asset now is perhaps Meekings

My hopes for 2016 would see us achieve a top 6 finish for this season which I would consider a mighty achievement. Scottish Cup wise... in reality cups are a lottery, it needs two goalscoring sources to improve the odds, but I don't see us getting beyond two rounds, and would take the top six finish first and foremost. For the start of season 2016/17 I would like us to go into it with a decent goalscoring threat (and one not on loan!) and a couple of fast overlapping fullbacks.

Happy New Year to you all

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Agree 6

I can't see us keeping tremarco but I think Raven is a good a right back that we can get. Hopefully Roberts will impress but I'm not getting my hopes up for about the others! Hopefully we'll keep storey and get one or 2 in! 

The one thing I will say is that I'm still certain we can push for top 3 as we're only one place behind where we were this time last year! And that's after a struggling start...imagine what we could achieve if we go on a good run and keep our players fit...

and a run in the cup to at least the semis would be nice...but I wouldn't say no to 2 big days at Hampden

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Sneckboy said:

Good post!
I think the number of players out-of-contract at the end of the season is something that needs to be addressed very soon. Only Warren, Meekings, Tansey and Foran are currently signed beyond then!

Thank goodness we've got Richie tied up on a long deal ;)

• Agree 1

The bubble seems to have burst at Hearts and County and to a certain extent Aberdeen and St Johnston. Most teams go through a rough patch in a season so maybe this is the start of the rough patch for mentioned teams and that we have come out of ours and will now kick on with a good run of results. It would be nice to defend the cup but I think concentration has to be on the league and the aim 3rd place.

• Agree 2

On the basis of today, I would be disappointed to finish below County. Aberdeen keep believing their own publicity, and Hearts have blown hot and cold since the end of August. I don't know if the St Johnstone bubble has burst or not, but I might do after tomorrow. 

Having finally got into the top 6 this season, we are capable of consolidating it, but need to find some consistency. Some 90 minute performances like today may help. 

Can see us retaining the Scottish Cup defeating Celtic 3-2 in the Final after Steven McLean awards a controversial offside winner for Inverness in injury time scored by Wedderburn. The ensuing Sun headline 'Nat King Goal'.

David Raven will make a deep run on Britain's got talent, leading to a solo album which will break into the top 10. He'll then face an agonizing decision as Yogi insists he abandon his music career and focus 100% on football, as he did to Scott Arfield at Falkirk.

Richie Foran will sign a new 5 year contract.

Miles Story will break into the England squad and start dating Katie Price.

• Agree 7

18 hours ago, AlexJones said:

Can see us retaining the Scottish Cup defeating Celtic 3-2 in the Final after Steven McLean awards a controversial offside winner for Inverness in injury time scored by Wedderburn. The ensuing Sun headline 'Nat King Goal'.

That really would be "unforgettable".

• Agree 1

Only a few weeks ago, I would have taken staying up as a good end to this season, but after a few decent results I reckon we can start looking up rather than down. Top 6 would be an excellent outcome after such a shoddy start. However, I don't think St J and Hearts are out of reach, so who knows?

For me, the most important thing is succession planning. Our budget is small, so keeping guys that like it here, rather than trying to hook new talent seems the better option. Fon Williams, Raven, Tremarco, Draper, Williams, Polworth, Devine, Vincent and Storey would be a start. Haven't seen him yet, but Roberts could be one to look at too. I wonder where Doran is at?

Cup? Would be great to have another decent run. Retaining the Scottish Cup would be a historic achievement....one step at a time, starting with Stirling!

1 hour ago, PerfICT said:

Only a few weeks ago, I would have taken staying up as a good end to this season, but after a few decent results I reckon we can start looking up rather than down. Top 6 would be an excellent outcome after such a shoddy start. However, I don't think St J and Hearts are out of reach, so who knows?

For me, the most important thing is succession planning. Our budget is small, so keeping guys that like it here, rather than trying to hook new talent seems the better option. Fon Williams, Raven, Tremarco, Draper, Williams, Polworth, Devine, Vincent and Storey would be a start. Haven't seen him yet, but Roberts could be one to look at too. I wonder where Doran is at?

Cup? Would be great to have another decent run. Retaining the Scottish Cup would be a historic achievement....one step at a time, starting with Stirling!

Jordan Robert's seems like a handy player what I saw in the pre season friendlies. A grafter with good pace, skill and always keen to get the ball back from the opposition. The goal he scored against Clach was a peach, an absolute belter!! which gave the lily whites keeper no chance. Just unfortunate he got injured like so many of our players at the start of the season. Keen to see him play again asap.

Edited by CaleyMax
Typo

4 hours ago, old caley girl said:

To answer the op I think 2016 will bring great change unfortunately. With so many out of contract the team may have to be rebuilt in the summer for the first time in several years. Let's enjoy this team whilst we still have the chance....

I'm hoping that we can retain a nucleus. Despite in recent years always seeming to have most of the team out of contract we have done fairly well in keeping players. Unfortunately stars will always move on if they have bigger or richer clubs sniffing around. 

Getting the likes of Polworth on a 2 year extension needs to be prioritised.