Scotty

I would have put it at around the 3,000 mark, even less for a full price match in January with a Cup game a few days prior and another home game next week. So 500-600 up.

I know only 100 extra full-time adult fans could generate £40,00 pa year on year but I honestly expected more. With all the dormant fans getting in on the cheap, all those people on twitter, Cup final fans and all the publicity regarding the promotion for newbies.

March and April, Hamilton and Motherwell, would it be worth replicating for the likes of pensioners, secondary    schools further education and apprentices for Easter holiday.

Even pensioners for a pound.

Pound coin with the crest on it.

and

TFI Saturday £5 for under 21

Holding up a card display with the info across the cards.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

56 minutes ago, RiG said:

Our earlier game v Partick this season brought in 3141 and also finished 0 - 0. So an extra 400 odd folk but no better result sadly.

It should be remembered that the 3,141 earlier in the season was on a Wednesday night.
Using that as the 'control'; a Saturday game against the same opposition and in the same competition should elicit a higher turnout.
Factor in the 'pay-what-you-can' initiative, and I'd suggest the 3,556 attendance was disappointing.

• Agree 1

3566 was very disappointing and it reiterates my point regarding what born and bred invernessians think of ICT

To be fair to the club I don't really know what more they can do to try and entice people to attend 

Dougal

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, dougal said:

3566 was very disappointing and it reiterates my point regarding what born and bred invernessians think of ICT

To be fair to the club I don't really know what more they can do to try and entice people to attend 

Dougal

I agree, yesterday was basically same crowd, loss of money! Go back around 9 years and you'd see 4000 as an average!

in terms of doing much more, unrealistically the club could go and spend £50m and start winning lots of trophy's! 

But realistically I really don't know! You can't get away with pay what you can and other huge discounts every week or we'll just end up like DFS...a club with a constant sale! And of course we'd be losing money.

The simple fact is it's not just us that struggle for fans...numbers are constantly on the decline, apart from Aberdeen and hearts, in Scottish football! And the only reason they're getting them is because they're winning games more often than not! 

In truth, we won't see bigger attendances until the price of Scottish football drops right down, but I fear by then the standard will dropped right down. 

9 hours ago, Sneckboy said:

It should be remembered that the 3,141 earlier in the season was on a Wednesday night.
Using that as the 'control'; a Saturday game against the same opposition and in the same competition should elicit a higher turnout.
Factor in the 'pay-what-you-can' initiative, and I'd suggest the 3,556 attendance was disappointing.

Ah I didn't realise that. Just saw that we had already played them but never checked what day it was. Oops!

Think you guys are well out with your Partick stats. We finished 3rd in the League, won the biggest Cup in Scotland and played in Europe. How strong a start do you think we could have had to the season.

Look at other smaller clubs playing at our ground. August started Stronger than the norm, St Johnstone brought a decent crowd apart from that it's below 3000 for a certain size of club,even  United was under 3000, Killy 2770 ish, etc. 

12 hours ago, Sneckboy said:

Point taken about it being a wed night but last season at home Saturday 13th Dec 3pm ko crowd was 2723

35 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Bear in mind that season ticket sales are up this year on the back of last season.  Crowd figures include season ticket sales whether or not season ticket holder actually attended or not.

I'm not sure if the latter is actually true

2 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Bear in mind that season ticket sales are up this year on the back of last season.  Crowd figures include season ticket sales whether or not season ticket holder actually attended or not.

I think that is a Ross County ploy ICTFC base the figures of those through the gate do they not?

2 hours ago, rocky1 said:

I think that is a Ross County ploy ICTFC base the figures of those through the gate do they not?

Yes I'm pretty sure Don said the same about both clubs a while back.

Not wanting to miss out on a bargain I left my season ticked book at home and paid a fiver to get in. 

• Agree 4

I was speaking to a Partick fan earlier. He went up to the match because it was pay what you can. He said he paid a fiver to get in and wouldn't have gone if it hadn't been pay what you can.  He said other Partick fans were paying 10/15/20 quid.

I took a season book this year to help the club -  especially in the hope of seeing replacements for Shinnie and Watkins (a tall order). However I won't be renewing next year as I've barely made it to a match. I can't justify spending £300 on a season book I've barely been able to use.  I wish the clubs would approach Scotrail to see if they could introduce supporters services. For example, for the match against Hearts next week, people travelling from Edinburgh Waverley would either have to catch the 0633 service or the 0833 to make it to the stadium on time. Coupled with the fact that it's £52 return, it's not feasible on top of paying £20+ for a match ticket. 

The implications of fixtures being televised is also a major headache. ICTFC fans who live in other cities have to plan travel in advance but it's difficult to do this when fixtures can be altered only 6 weeks before the original date. Could the clubs thrash out which games they want before the start of the season and then publish the fixture list? Lowering the price for all fans (home and away) for televised matches would also be good. 

Hypothetically, let's say we have 19 Premiership home matches. 5 are shown on BT Sport / Sky Sports and they have been selected before the season starts.  (Working on the basis we get rid of the split at the end.) 

Season ticket (adult, North stand):

14 untelevised matches at £18 each = £252

5 televised matches at £8 each = £40

Total of £292

Non-season ticket prices could be set at £20 (untelevised)  and £10 (televised). 

I'd follow Partick's example of U16s go free. 

I'm unsure if pay what you can is effective or sustainable. I heard someone paid 7p to get into the home end yesterday. From my perspective, knowing the prices for match tickets in advance would be a big help. 

There appears to be simple solutions to combat falling crowd numbers but nobody seems to be bothered about doing anything.

Edited by TopSix
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Why should the club need to approach Scotrail to introduce supporters services? The cost associated with that would far outweigh any benefits given that a minimal percentage of the ICT support will be coming from Edinburgh for games. If you want cheap travel then try and book your tickets in advance for a cheap fare. Scotrail now offer advance singles from £5 which is a great deal. If you're going to go on the day you are always going to pay more. It's not always £52. I've regularly been able to travel to games this season for around £22 return although I appreciate that some people are not able to plan too far ahead and commit to games to allow them to snap up cheap tickets due to varying circumstances.

That said I agree that, in order to allow travelling fans to make the best use of any advance price tickets that may be on offer, fixtures that are to be changed need to be moved well in advance of the game. The Highland Derby on 19th March could still be moved for TV and we are now less than two months away from this match. I would like to see some kind of agreement in place whereby matches that are to be moved for TV must be changed no less than two (perhaps three) months before a fixture. A couple of seasons back Aberdeen had a game against Saint Mirren moved at two weeks notice which is a pretty appalling way to treat travelling fans. That said you can't expect BT and Sky to decide on what games they want to show all the way through the season when the fixtures come out for obvious reasons. Sky picked their TV matches for the first 5 or 6 months of the season when the fixtures came out but the Scottish TV games seemed to be done in two month blocks. 

Ticket prices for getting in to grounds are well known and if you're unsure have a look on a clubs website. I wonder if the club would ever think about buying 'Advance Match' tickets? If fans buy a ticket the week before they get a few pounds off? A bit like the advance train tickets you commit to going to a game on a specific date and are 'rewarded' by having a few pounds taken off the cost of the ticket but you don't get a designated seat? If you don't go then that's your problem and you don't get a refund. The same kind of deal is in place with advance train tickets. I suspect this would be quite difficult to implement however.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 7:06 AM, dougal said:

Dougal

Very many of us who support the club and attend the ground are 'born and bred' Invernessians. Whatever the causes are for the apathy it has very little to do with events of almost quarter of a century ago....

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, RiG said:

You can't expect BT and Sky to decide on what games they want to show all the way through the season when the fixtures come out for obvious reasons. 

So TV companies are more important than fans who attend matches.  

Edited by TopSix
  • Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, TopSix said:

So TV companies more important than fans who buy tickets. 

In a word... yes. He who pays the piper calls the tune. The TV companies will only pay up on their terms, for the games they want and when they want them. Football below the very highest level is steadily becoming a non-spectator sport, and TV is one of the main reasons for the steady decline in attendances at a lot of games. The obvious key is to maximise income and that seems to have been done by a combination of charging punters quite a lot whilst receiving TV revenues which more than compensate for the drop off in crowds resulting from the presence of TV.

Dougal can make as many simplistic assertions as he likes about the M-word, with all the predictable wisdom and logic of Spot The Dog or Postman Pat that you would expect from him. But declining crowds are a long term phenomenon across much of football. Kingsmills was bang on the money a couple of posts ago in that there are plenty of born and bred Invernessians and that the chip on Dougal's shoulder is now quarter of a century old.

The effect of the M-word on crowds was, for the first 12-15 years, to create a steady 500% increase compared with Highland League days. This has declined in more recent years to around a 400% increase on what used to attend Thistle and Caley and is obviously a result of other, more recent factors. Unless of course Dougal is suggesting that it's taken a some punters a couple of decades to find that blue phone box on Telford Street and start subscribing to the paranoia that Gordy Bus fixed a vote involving 105 people in 1993.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, TopSix said:

So TV companies are more important than fans who attend matches.  

They have become more important yes but I don't think they should be.

Again, you can't expect Sky or BT to pick what game they want to show on the final weekend of the season when no one knows for sure how the league will play out but they should pick matches for TV a set time before the game is due to take place.

• Disagree 1

I think it's true that attendances are generally up in the SPFL, so not sure where the gloomy scenarios are coming from. Additionally, the Scottish game is one of the best supported per capita in Europe, so there is no need to indulge in typical Scottish self-denigration over this. 

ICT has its own particular challenges, which many other clubs don't have. Time will tell if they will be overcome, or continue to hamper the development of the club.