Joint Statement Regarding Pyro at Matches

9 minutes ago, SanMiguel said:

:whoosh:

Surely you don't have any sympathy with these idiots who ignore the law, risk sanctions against the club and, most seriously, risk injuring their fellow fans.

Sing your head off but leave those dangerous devices far away from any football ground....

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

48 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Sing your head off but leave those dangerous devices far away from any football ground....

Agreed totally. Despite nutty and now discredited legislation, there really is no doubt as to which is the bigger issue requiring the full weight of the law between banter about the cleanliness, ethnicity and legitimacy of the opposition fans or the reckless discharge of explosives in a tightly packed space.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Disagree 1

32 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Agreed totally. Despite nutty and now discredited legislation, there really is no doubt as to which is the bigger issue requiring the full weight of the law between banter about the cleanliness, ethnicity and legitimacy of the opposition fans or the reckless discharge of explosives in a tightly packed space.

If by 'banter' you mean bile, hateful sectarian abuse or casual racism then I'm afraid I can't agree.

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

If by 'banter' you mean bile, hateful sectarian abuse or casual racism then I'm afraid I can't agree.

No I don't. In "cleanliness, ethnicity, legitimacy" I'm referring indirectly to the final three words of a certain accolade of Highland Derbies - highly civilised encounters which, refreshingly, feature none of the above.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Ross County - 'We are the Highlands'? F'ck off.

Proactive-  The Pride of the Highlands.

Reactive- We are the Highlands.

Ross County are forever in the Shadows.

New slogan for County - We're not in the Shadows.

Together we Believe together we Achieve.

New County slogan - We believe as well.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

It is simply making an ultra statement. The coloured smoke simply adds to the atmosphere and fills the Warriors with the adrenaline to chant and jump up and down for ages. This is evidently a whining thread for older sweetie rustlers who have probably never experienced the buzz of real terrace highs. The sight of pyro fills the skies of Europe every week and is viewed as a competition by many. Officialdom and clubs should be looking at ultra, standing sections to encourage such scenes of jubilation and loyal support.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

It is simply making an ultra statement. The coloured smoke simply adds to the atmosphere and fills the Warriors with the adrenaline to chant and jump up and down for ages. This is evidently a whining thread for older sweetie rustlers who have probably never experienced the buzz of real terrace highs. The sight of pyro fills the skies of Europe every week and is viewed as a competition by many. Officialdom and clubs should be looking at ultra, standing sections to encourage such scenes of jubilation and loyal support.

All for atmosphere, jubilation and loyal support, all for real terrace highs even without the terracing all of which can be provided by signing, flags, banners and, god forbid, even those annoying drums. These 'pyros' are illegal for a reason. They can and have severely injured people. It's bad enough these daft kids defending them but you really are old enough to know better.

Admittedly, using pyro is a bit stupid especially if it ends up with an impressionable youth getting a criminal record. But rather than vilify and marginalise the singing section lads, why don't we give them an opportunity to positively express their support? The atmosphere has improved in the past few years to the point where it is actually enjoyable to sit in the north stand. The club could do something forward thinking and make these lads feel like a valued part of the club. Assist them in putting on a display in the big games or give them a say at supporters trust meetings, I'm sure they have plenty of ideas.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, TtotheOtotheM said:

Admittedly, using pyro is a bit stupid especially if it ends up with an impressionable youth getting a criminal record. But rather than vilify and marginalise the singing section lads, why don't we give them an opportunity to positively express their support? The atmosphere has improved in the past few years to the point where it is actually enjoyable to sit in the north stand. The club could do something forward thinking and make these lads feel like a valued part of the club. Assist them in putting on a display in the big games or give them a say at supporters trust meetings, I'm sure they have plenty of ideas.

Absolutely...these youngsters are the future....they should be encouraged and assisted to do anything that doesn't break the criminal law, risk sanctions for the club and put themselves and others in danger...

This is an interesting debate and reasonably relevant even here in Toronto ....

For the first 7 or 8 years at TFC we had the odd flare and smoke bomb thrown onto the pitch or across the stands. The problem is NOT the pyro itself it is the UNCONTROLLED nature of the pyro. Because its not legal, even here, you had people bringing industrial grade smoke-bombs or road flares and these DO NOT burn safely, or in the case of the smoke, they are not safe to inhale .... 2 supporters groups ended up getting banned for these episodes. I had a flare go just over my head which was dripping hot residue onto people as it sailed by (and landed on a woman whose clothes got burned), and I was about 3 feet away from one of these smoke bombs that I could still taste in my mouth weeks later despite copious amounts of medicinal Glenfiddich.   

Last year the club (TFC) worked with the fans to bring CONTROLLED smoke to the games. The club supplies the smoke bombs (sometimes white, other times red) and the fans groups now have people trained in safe usage of them and with safety equipment nearby. The substances are nowhere near as noxious (although still unpleasant if the smoke comes straight at you) and flares are still banned. It was a happy medium.

I fear this wont be allowed in Scotland though .... 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, 12th Man said:

Proactive-  The Pride of the Highlands.

Reactive- We are the Highlands.

Ross County are forever in the Shadows.

New slogan for County - We're not in the Shadows.

Together we Believe together we Achieve.

New County slogan - We believe as well.

Ross County - We're 100% behind ICT!

• Agree 5

7 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I'm actually pretty laid back about coloured smoke TBH. But when we scored against County at New Year most of us were choking for about 10 mins after that smoke bomb went off. Down the front it would have been ok.

Also whatever the Poland fans were setting off in our end when they scored at Hampden were downright frightening whether you were a sweetie rustler or not. I bet there were plenty Scotland fans relieved not to have any underwear on under the kilt :lol:

52 minutes ago, Scotty said:

This is an interesting debate and reasonably relevant even here in Toronto ....

For the first 7 or 8 years at TFC we had the odd flare and smoke bomb thrown onto the pitch or across the stands. The problem is NOT the pyro itself it is the UNCONTROLLED nature of the pyro. Because its not legal, even here, you had people bringing industrial grade smoke-bombs or road flares and these DO NOT burn safely, or in the case of the smoke, they are not safe to inhale .... 2 supporters groups ended up getting banned for these episodes. I had a flare go just over my head which was dripping hot residue onto people as it sailed by (and landed on a woman whose clothes got burned), and I was about 3 feet away from one of these smoke bombs that I could still taste in my mouth weeks later despite copious amounts of medicinal Glenfiddich.   

Last year the club (TFC) worked with the fans to bring CONTROLLED smoke to the games. The club supplies the smoke bombs (sometimes white, other times red) and the fans groups now have people trained in safe usage of them and with safety equipment nearby. The substances are nowhere near as noxious (although still unpleasant if the smoke comes straight at you) and flares are still banned. It was a happy medium.

I fear this wont be allowed in Scotland though .... 

That's interesting.  The logical extension of this is for there to be a ban on flares being taken in to grounds but allowing clubs to sell approved flares within the ground for use in a defined manner (e.g no throwing).  In that way there would be a good atmosphere, a guarantee that all devices let off were safe and there would be a small additional income for the club.

2 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

That's interesting.  The logical extension of this is for there to be a ban on flares being taken in to grounds but allowing clubs to sell approved flares within the ground for use in a defined manner (e.g no throwing).  In that way there would be a good atmosphere, a guarantee that all devices let off were safe and there would be a small additional income for the club.

I very much doubt flares would ever be allowed, they are inherently dangerous (in this context), and as for selling flares or smoke bombs, I think that's unlikely too. The only way you have a chance to get the smoke approved is likely via the route of having people trained in the correct usage of them and having them supplied by or managed by the relevant clubs. Even if it were allowed, I think this is likely to be seen as too much hassle by most clubs 

This is an excellent article about it: http://www.the42.ie/use-of-flares-and-smoke-in-stadiums-2417194-Oct2015/

10 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Us younger posters listen to what you older blokes have to say and you are older but your encouraging youngsters to get banned from their club.

We aren't European ultras, we don't go around in gangs picking fights with other fans, we don't burn cars, we don't throw bottles or stab people and if your only excitement is throwing a flare whilst standing at a football match then you haven't achieved much

Try using it for its intended purpose, like illuminating a main sail on a boat in a force 7  with a swell, to make yourself more visible to a vessel coming towards you who hasnt picked up your blipper on their radar.

Have a good time make loads of noise but don't get banned for throwing something 20 feet whilst standing still on dry land. 

• Agree 2