Joint Statement Regarding Pyro at Matches

One of my enduring memories of going to the football as a young child was dodging the streams of urine...and making sure you weren't being urinated on.  What a joyous atmosphere that created, shame you don't see it these days.  Pesky authorities spoil all the fun.

• Agree 3

54 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

One of my enduring memories of going to the football as a young child was dodging the streams of urine...and making sure you weren't being urinated on.  What a joyous atmosphere that created, shame you don't see it these days.  Pesky authorities spoil all the fun.

It used to be said that, in the days of standing in the terraces, at some of the busier grounds where the punters stood really close together, the nightmare scenario was to feel this warm, moist sensation from outwith percolate throughout your trouser leg.

• Disagree 1

56 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

It used to be said that, in the days of standing in the terraces, at some of the busier grounds where the punters stood really close together, the nightmare scenario was to feel this warm, moist sensation from outwith percolate throughout your trouser leg.

And it was only when the crowd thinned out a bit that you could move enough to check whether it was urine or blood.

Setting of a flare is regarded as being "passionate" now is It? Maybe the bright sparks who throw coins are just showing passion.

I'm not that old. I enjoy having a sing, jumping up and down, shouting, chanting. Like the drums etc.

And true maybe you can move away from someone wielding a flare. - All well and good until he decides to throw it. Or panics because the stewards pick him out and launch it. Oh what's that, he's not the quarter back he imagines himself to be and has a pathetic attempt. It scones you in the eye. (no worries specsavers sponsor the refs so they'll do you a deal on glass replacements).

Of course it's no bother because the lads were just having a laugh and enhancing the fan "culture" with their passion. 

Because them in Europe do it, so we have to copy them! 

Jeez. 

• Agree 6
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, iamthecaptain1 said:

Setting of a flare is regarded as being "passionate" now is It? Maybe the bright sparks who throw coins are just showing passion.

I'm not that old. I enjoy having a sing, jumping up and down, shouting, chanting. Like the drums etc.

And true maybe you can move away from someone wielding a flare. - All well and good until he decides to throw it. Or panics because the stewards pick him out and launch it. Oh what's that, he's not the quarter back he imagines himself to be and has a pathetic attempt. It scones you in the eye. (no worries specsavers sponsor the refs so they'll do you a deal on glass replacements).

Of course it's no bother because the lads were just having a laugh and enhancing the fan "culture" with their passion. 

Because them in Europe do it, so we have to copy them! 

Jeez. 

Sorry but what are you talking about?

When have any Caley fans ever brought a flare to a game.

Just now, Joe DiMaggio said:

Ok, I just asked myself and I can confirm it was definitely a smoke bomb. The smoke coming off it is also a bit of a give away.

Would you mind taking a quick photo of your smoke bomb receipt and sticking it on here as proof.

I agree with the statement. At end of the day the pyros ruin a game and also wastes time of what could be a good game. It could also seriously injure someone. And I agree with the comments of those who do it should be banned. I don't know how they manage to get them sneaked in. As at Stirling myself and others I was with were standing not that far from them who had the flares. Not sure who it was but if that went wrong I dread to think what would have happened. 

Edited by lilmissictbabe
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

Now while I agree that flares are dangerous and have no place in a football stadium, I'm starting to grow tired of this attitude where they and smoke bombs are one and the same.  On top of that, we're always told how dangerous smoke bombs are, but what type of danger are we talking about here?  All we're told is 'You wouldn't want to breathe that stuff in, it's bad for you" but we can't go through life like that.  I doubt the half time pie and bovril or a pre-match cigarette are particularly good for you either.  Should we only sell celery at the kiosk from now on?

Just out of interest, for something that's seemingly so dangerous, have there ever been any injuries in Scottish football as a result of one being set off?  I personally have never heard of a case.  Should people bring them to the games anyway?  No.  Is it the end of the world if they do?  No.  Should they be banned as a result?  No.  The CJT statement has an attitude I'm not keen on.  It shouldn't be wishing the expulsion of those who've brought smoke bombs in the past, rather inviting and helping them support the club in a different way.

Scotty's point about Toronto is an interesting one.  I fear we aren't progressive enough over here to do something so sensible, but if we could I wouldn't be opposed to it.  I believe smoke bombs do add something to the atmosphere and if that can be added in a safe manner than what really is the problem?

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

When people aren't even allowed to stand up because its so dangerous, I very much doubt smoke bombs would ever be permitted. You cant even take in  a liquid container in case its thrown,One of the main reasons would be that an object could be thrown onto the pitch or to rival fans without being seen in the smoke and the safety officer/stewards are to have a line of sight of the fans.

Only some clubs will  let fans surf a flag for the same reason, even getting the flags surfed at Celtic park caused problems for the League Cup final and it took over 45 mins just to get 1 flag up for the Scottish Cup final which involved speaking to numerous stewards who then had to radio to each supervisor to attend, repeated for every section travelled through. Really frustrating when is only needs to be told to one person.

For me its not the rights and wrongs of  the flares or smoke bombs, its the getting banned from football that makes it 100% not worth it.

Edited by 12th Man

Bottom line is this.....whether you agree with the law or not, if you break it then you run the risk of a police record, fine, fbo etc.

Your actions also place the club at risk of sanctions from the SFA, Police and Local Authorities.  The upper end of the scale for fines from the SFA alone is £100,000....and Local Authorities can remove safety certificates (closing stands and/or stadiums).  Obviously that's the extreme end of the scale....but even a much lesser fine would hit us heavily.

The club don't set the law, but they do have a duty to ensure they play their part in maintaining it....so if you think the law sucks, take it up with the law makers.

• Agree 3