Joint Statement Regarding Pyro at Matches

1 hour ago, 12th Man said:

5 months in  prison, 2 year ban on football matches and a criminal record.

Wow! That's almost into the category of the 14 years transportation to Australia that you get for shooting a bird! On the other hand, our soft touch prison policy probably means he'll be out in a fortnight.

Seriously, though, much as I loathe this pyro nonsense, this does seem a bit over the top. What would this judge hand out for mugging an old lady then?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

12 hours ago, Joe DiMaggio said:

How many points were Motherwell deducted?

Just to be safe I would ban everyone sitting in that section. 

Prior to this how many people have got 5 months for a smoke bomb? None (as far as I'm aware), but then someone did. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

5 months - that's some sentence! It does shine a very bright light on this thread and topic - it doesn't matter what you think about the rights and wrongs of smoke bombs and flares at matches - setting them off in this country is a criminal offence that can carry a fairly lengthy custodial sentence and I wouldn't want any ICT fans banged up for the sake of a few seconds of entertainment.

17 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Wow! That's almost into the category of the 14 years transportation to Australia that you get for shooting a bird! On the other hand, our soft touch prison policy probably means he'll be out in a fortnight.

Seriously, though, much as I loathe this pyro nonsense, this does seem a bit over the top. What would this judge hand out for mugging an old lady then?

He was not sentenced merely for letting off the smoke device, if that was all he would, without doubt, have received a community disposal.

He very much compounded matters by going to some lengths to defeat the ends of justice by concealing his identity and, worse still, wilfully defied an order of the court within days of it being imposed and his agreeing to it as a condition of being granted bail.

Frankly, in those particular set of circumstances, the Sheriff was left with very little alternative. A stupid young man who was the author of his own misfortune but, as others have said, a cautionary tale for those of our own fans wanting to follow suit.

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

He was not sentenced merely for letting off the smoke device, if that was all he would, without doubt, have received a community disposal.

He very much compounded matters by going to some lengths to defeat the ends of justice by concealing his identity and, worse still, wilfully defied an order of the court within days of it being imposed and his agreeing to it as a condition of being granted bail.

That account is a good deal more revealing than the newspaper headline

Motherwell fan gets five months for setting off smokebomb

which looks as if it may have been written by one of the Young Team members banned for "singing" on the Stirling bus?:lol:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2