Risky Strategy

Broonerz

2 hours ago, Huisdean said:

Perhaps because Doran is out injured??. Still think we are a better team with Doran is playing and these comments do not directly relate to Doran at all in my opinion.

Fair enough. I did say it was just my sort of gut reaction / idle assumption when I read the comments, but given that I'd forgotten what the injury that has been keeping Doran out actually is :blush:, it was maybe a slightly unfair thing to post without checking first.   

Yogi says it as he sees it. He is marking a card so whoever is playing it should be very aware! If he/they no longer want to be part of what Yogi is trying to build then come out and say it and I'm sure nobody will stand in their way and we can all move on

Edited by caleyboy
AdditionAl comment
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

Yogi says it as he sees it. He is marking a card so whoever is playing it should be very aware! If he/they no longer want to be part of what Yogi is trying to build then come out and say it and I'm sure nobody will stand in their way and we can all move on

Maybe but personally I'd have rather he'd done it less publicly

• Agree 7
  • Disagree 2

With the speed and intensity of the modern game, 'playing through injuries' is no longer an option. It's never a good idea to ignore medical advice in any case. Players aren't cogs or gears to be used, burned out and cast aside. They have their futures to think about, football is their bread and butter. Why risk shortening your career to prove some kind of macho point playing through the pain barrier? Not a good day at the office for Yogi.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 4

14 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Maybe but personally I'd have rather he'd done it less publicly

He's just that kind of guy OCG. He says it as he sees it and maybe it should have been done behind closed doors but he is honest and up front - not many people in football like him. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Why do so many people like having a go at John Hughes, our most successful manager, at any given opportunity ?

These same people are praising him up when things are going well but are so quick to chastise him the moment he steps what they think is out of line or the Team has a blip.

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 2

11 minutes ago, bughtmaster said:

Why do so many people like having a go at John Hughes, our most successful manager, at any given opportunity ?

These same people are praising him up when things are going well but are so quick to chastise him the moment he steps what they think is out of line or the Team has a blip.

Could it be that, although nobody can or would want to deny his successes, he is not infallible and is prone to some significant and sometimes costly misjudgements ?

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

2 hours ago, bughtmaster said:

Well said BM

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, caleyboy said:

He's just that kind of guy OCG. He says it as he sees it and maybe it should have been done behind closed doors but he is honest and up front - not many people in football like him. 

Hmmmm just don't think that's our way tho. If my boss criticised me in the press like that I doubt I'd be very happy. 

Bughtmaster I don't think I'm very critical of the manager at all tbh. However, as a healthcare professional I think what he said could be dangerous practice and worse when done in public. I do feel I'm entitled to express my personal views on a fans forum. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Criticism intended only where the cap fits OCGirl................ I don't see you in that mix!  and always express your personal views mostly they are appreciated.

J H is an old fashioned Guy and takes it on the chin when it comes. He dishes it out the same way,  I'm sure the players are ' man enough ' to take it, if  indeed there is not good reason behind it. ---------Besides the mamby pamby stuff is not good for football.

Kingsmills I didn't think you thought of him that way but i'm always learning.

• Agree 4

Who's proposing namby pamby stuff?  If there are players who are not pulling their weight they need to be told and I am sure Yogi does just that.  But lets keep it in the dressing room and on the training pitch, please.  Personally I get a little cheesed of with Yogi saying that he's an honest guy and then using that to justify some criticism of the players.  A bit of honesty in admitting where he's got it wrong himself from time to time would not go amiss.  He's the manager and the buck stops with him.  He should shoulder the blame and support the players in public and give them a rollicking in private when appropriate.

• Agree 3

All we need is 11 gary warrens - problem solved. At the game today Tremaco took a sore one and Yogi was telling at him to get moving again and he was clearly toiling a bit but doing his best (poor bugger). Then Mutombo gets tackled and rolls around slapping the ground sure sign serious injury? Nope...magic sponge then right as rain...not good.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Yogi is an honest laddie, he would have thought long and hard before making such a public statement in my opinion

Lets not forget there is a player who obviously needed to be told!! 

It's quite ironic that the same posters who ain't happy about the public statement are the same posters who complain that the club are always too secretive on other matters

Dougal

Nothing ironic in it all.  Quite the opposite.  These are two very different kind of issues.  It is perhaps strange that the club is very reluctant to release certain information which one might think should be in the public domain, whilst the manager makes public criticisms of players which should best be kept behind closed doors.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Nothing ironic in it all.  Quite the opposite.  These are two very different kind of issues.  It is perhaps strange that the club is very reluctant to release certain information which one might think should be in the public domain, whilst the manager makes public criticisms of players which should best be kept behind closed doors.

Do the management have control over what our manager says to the press - I doubt it judging by some of his outbursts re playing budgets ,talking to D Utd etc 

3 hours ago, rocky1 said:

Do the management have control over what our manager says to the press - I doubt it judging by some of his outbursts re playing budgets ,talking to D Utd etc 

Well, he's employed by the club so I think at the end of the day the answer to that is "yes"!

I'm not for one moment suggesting that the club should approve what he says, after all, part of the role is to communicate with the media. But he does have to be accountable for what he says. There may be a clause in his contract about not criticising the club in general or any individual employee in the public domain.  In any case, if the Board perceive him to be making statements which are not showing the club in a good light or are in any other way felt to be inappropriate I would expect the Chairman to have a word in his ear.