Inverness CT -V- Stirling Albion (replay)

Scotty

Fairly comfortable win in the end but is it a little concerning that it needed two spectacular goals to win it. Plenty of chances to create chances were gifted away. Well done to the Binos who grafted away, but the important stat for a cup game is that we went through 2-0. Vigurs can stay for now, but is he a luxury we can afford. Storey was much better in the second half and ran the lines well, leaving defenders in his wake. Roberts came on and as the anticipation mounted, he was promptly booked. Pity about Fisher.

Thought I would add that Mutombo was my man of the match. He was causing problems with his trickery all night and scored a peach of an individual goal. Pick that one out. Vigurs goal was brilliant as well, but more of a team goal with a sublime finish.

Well, just watched that with two Rangers fans. (OK, I don't have many friends).  Much better game than the first leg at Stirling.  Two cracking goals we scored, worthy of winning any match.  At last Mutumbo shows what he can do for more than the odd second or two.  I also like Storey's energy, and , unlike an earlier comment by a poster on this thread, I thought he showed some excellent touches, especially his contribution to the second goal. Fair play to Stirling, they gave us several dodgy defensive moments, but we managed to hold them at bay.

Overall I'm satisfied with the performance, and especially the win. 

Onwards and upwards, a couple of good home league wins before we go to Motherwell will see us all full of hope for the rest of the season.  Go on lads, you can do it.

We'll need a much better performance on Saturday. Another chance to break away from DU and Hamilton, who had a shocker tonight! Glad to hear Mutombo delivered tonight - he's flattered to deceive until now, but it would be great to have other options up front. How did Roberts do (yellow card aside)? I presume some of those yellows will translate into suspensions (e.g. Vigurs?)

12 minutes ago, Row S said:

Absolute effn torture if you ask me. Wish I'd stayed at home and saved £15. Bookings and Fisher injury costly too.

Yogi would have been impressed by your character turning up on a night like this 

It was a bit chilly by the end but otherwise it was a grand night for a game of 

football :ictscarf: good to see Richie back on the park as well 

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

Fairly comfortable win in the end but is it a little concerning that it needed two spectacular goals to win it. Plenty of chances to create chances were gifted away. Well done to the Binos who grafted away, but the important stat for a cup game is that we went through 2-0. Vigurs can stay for now, but is he a luxury we can afford. Storey was much better in the second half and ran the lines well, leaving defenders in his wake. Roberts came on and as the anticipation mounted, he was promptly booked. Pity about Fisher.

Thought I would add that Mutombo was my man of the match. He was causing problems with his trickery all night and scored a peach of an individual goal. Pick that one out. Vigurs goal was brilliant as well, but more of a team goal with a sublime finish.

We won the tie though. We're in the next round. So many times we were the plucky underdog against a higher ranked team and took all the credit. Let the Binos have their wee bit of glory but we won as expected.

Two great goals.  One a superb individual effort from Mutombo and one a lovely team goal with a composed placed finish from Vigurs.  But what a lot of utter dross for most of the rest of the game!  Mutombo was the one bright spark and regularly beat defenders and looked to make things happen. Fon Williams was never really tested but nobody else was better than average.  Early on we lost possession at the back on 2 or 3 occasions and were lucky not to be punished for it.  

The 2nd goal showed what we can do when we get the ball forward a bit quicker, get behind them and cut it back to players following up..  So why does there seem to be such a reluctance to get the ball wide and and attack opposition full backs?

At least we won and move on to the next round.  We will need to play a lot better to beat Motherwell and we will need to play a lot better to get anything out of Partick at the weekend.

One final point.  After the first goal, Yogi seemed to be having a real go at Raven on the touchline.  What on earth was that all about?

45 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

Did anyone spot the spelling mistake on the Pay What You Can advertising board.

No, but I did hear the away fans singing "SPL, you're having a laugh", demonstrating a lack of understanding of the league reconstruction that took place in 2013!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

No, but I did hear the away fans singing "SPL, you're having a laugh", demonstrating a lack of understanding of the league reconstruction that took place in 2013!

Very observant of you.  Perhaps they were the same "BINOS ULTRAS" who demonstrated a lack of understanding of eyes, by facing the back of the stand during the match at Forthbank Stadium.

2 hours ago, 12th Man said:

Did anyone spot the spelling mistake on the Pay What You Can advertising board.

A flaw like that is extra advertising I suppose if its picked up and talked about.

No, I was relying on Sky Sports.  What did it say?

I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty annoyed with the performance tonight! I thought that we'd be able to knock the ball about well going forward but at times (mainly first half) I thought it was shocking! And when we were passing, it was about 15 yards further back than when we do it in a league game! But as others have said, it's a cup game and we're through so we'll just have to hope that somehow, Hughes can get them back on form because the last week and a half has been pretty worrying! Mutumbo and storey the only 2 jags on the field worth a mention..mutumbo ran at them all night long...and for spells, again in the first half mainly was our only hope going forward! Storey done what he could and if one or two through balls had been better he may have had a proper clear cut chance! 

One real positive was seeing Roberts and foran! I thought Foran actually done well and seemed to move more freely than the last couple of appearances which we can only hope is a good sign 

Edited by DEANO96
  • Agree 1

Mutumbo  was certainly MotM. It was the best I have seen him play. He was the play maker for most of the game and a real threat.

Hughes was giving Raven a hard time for much of the game but I thought that "Dave the Rave" put in a good performance. Does Hughes have an issue with Raven?

Watched it on TV (midweek games are harder for me to get to these days) and thought we were poor overall but at least we scored a couple of decent goals and are in the next round. Still concerned at our overall lack of pace, width and creativity but Mutumbo had some nice touches but these were offset but dribbling the ball out of play under no pressure. Kind of like Tade. Superb second goal. Lovely quick passing and very direct running. More of that kind of stuff please instead of the slow paced sideways passing. Motherwell away in the next round is definitely winnable but not exactly an interesting tie.

What I seen of this game, from TV, was a team of professionals trying to pass, and becoming frustrated by, 11 opposition players and a double decker. Stirling  done what they set out to do. They defended very well and stopped us doing anything. Indeed I'd say they played just like we did in our giant killing days except they didn't get too many chances to break or opportunities to score.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Still concerned at our overall lack of pace, width and creativity but Mutumbo had some nice touches but these were offset but dribbling the ball out of play under no pressure.

Mutombo was our only source of creativity and the one player a neutral fan would have noticed. He (usually) has some good close control and has the skill to get past a man with ease, and the desire to do so. However, he is still deficient when it comes to the final ball so most of his good work ends up fruitless.

I'm sure I wasn't the only person who was surprised when his shot hit the back of the net - I can't help thinking that any premier league keeper would have saved that.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unpinned and unfeatured this topic